Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Market rate for Malay Wedding???

Default Re: Market rate for Malay Wedding???

Quote Originally Posted by artfakeme View Post
    Malay wedding:

Nikah: 4 hrs
    Sanding: 6 hrs

The above hours includes the getting ready shots.

Charge xtra hour if they exceed the total given hours in your package.
    Curious... do you charge extra for DI in Malay Wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by artfakeme View Post
    Malay wedding:

Nikah: 4 hrs
    Sanding: 6 hrs

The above hours includes the getting ready shots.

Charge xtra hour if they exceed the total given hours in your package.
    ic. so how do they know what time we 'clocked in'? tell their relatives / bros/ sisters / parents that we're ready?

i don't want them to think that we're calculative whatsoever right?

hi guys, i'm a freelancer, shooting a malay "NIKAH"(wedding vows ceremony) this weekend and it's gonna last for about 4.5 hours as requested by the "MAK ANDAM"(make-up artist). I charged them for $400 solid. That would include 200+-* photo printout with Sticky album, photoshop enhancement and DVD(return all shots for the day). Hope this helps.

*300 is the standard but there is only so much that you can shoot for a "NIKAH".

P.S: Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the norm is actually minimum $500 for this type of package which is considered BASICMaybe i'm a bit soft when it comes to negotiating
    “The soul can not think without a picture.” Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by eejal View Post
    ic. so how do they know what time we 'clocked in'? tell their relatives / bros/ sisters / parents that we're ready?

i don't want them to think that we're calculative whatsoever right?
    That is where 1st impression comes to play if you have a reputation to take care of. However, one way or another, you still have to settle in with your "rig" before you start right? You don't just come and start shooting away like some B-rated war movie

TIP: communicate and repo with the "ANDAM", things will get a whole lot easier.
    Last edited by shuhry81; 25th December 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious... do you charge extra for DI in Malay Wedding?
    DI?

Quote Originally Posted by shuhry81 View Post
    DI?
    Digital Imaging

hi guys, i'm a freelancer, shooting a malay "NIKAH"(wedding vows ceremony) this weekend and it's gonna last for about 4.5 hours as requested by the "MAK ANDAM"(make-up artist). I charged them for $400 solid. That would include 200+-* photo printout with Sticky album, photoshop enhancement and DVD(return all shots for the day). Hope this helps.

*300 is the standard but there is only so much that you can shoot for a "NIKAH".

P.S: Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the norm is actually minimum $500 for this type of package which is considered BASICMaybe i'm a bit soft when it comes to negotiating
    bro..ur avatar shows S5. does that means you use thS5 Pro for your work?

Quote Originally Posted by Num3ga View Post
    Digital Imaging
    lost~ i do believe i said "Photoshop enhancement" so yeah, it's included in the price.
    Last edited by shuhry81; 26th December 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eejal View Post
    bro..ur avatar shows S5. does that means you use thS5 Pro for your work?
    yeap, that's my baby

i think shuhry81 use D60 ahhh i salah hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Num3ga View Post
    i think shuhry81 use D60 ahhh i salah hahahahahaha
    lol! heyhey, D60 isnt that bad okay Coincidently, it's my back-up camera!

Quote Originally Posted by artbox View Post
    Since we are shooting digital, your exif plays a part. Make sure you adjust your camera clock right!
    If they asked you, tell them to check the photo properties lah...
    Ermm bro, i think that dude meant how and when to start shooting aka "the green light"

What's with his curiousness anyway??

Malay, Chinese or Causasian... they are all the same. Its a wedding. My advice for those starting out is:

1. Keep your pricing simple and justified. E.g. If you are going to start work say from 10am to 5.30pm, its almost like a full day work. As a working professional, the minimum is a least $300 a day. That is only for shooting. You still have to spend time selecting images, post production, sending them to the lab, sort out the albums..etc. You should be paid for that too. That $300 is not even enough to pay for all that. Think about it.

2. If the client has a low budget, it doesn't mean you have to ignore them completely. Negotiate a deal. E.g. Client has only a $500 to spend for their wedding. Tell them with $500, they get only a CD with 300 images good enough for 4R prints and nothing else. No post production and straight from camera to CD. If they want an album, tell them its an additional cost. Make sure your time spent is justified. If not, you are just bleeding at every assignment. Don't forget that electricity bills, phone bills, transport, food etc.. all cost money. Nothing is free in this world.

3. Don't give in so easily and here's why. I am a working professional and I deserve to get paid just like everyone else who is working fulltime. Sometimes the amount they offer is pathetic and they expect 5-star service. Educate them. You get what you pay for. Same thing when you go shopping. Don't expect a Dior bag to cost S$100. Simple logic.

4. Some photographers are not confident to charge 'high' mainly because they do not have a solid portfolio to impress the clients. Don't worry, start small, think big. E.g. Start with a simple 2 day package of S$650. Give them simple stock albums that you can get from photo labs. Keep your overheads low. When you are confident, get a decent album maker and start charging accordingly.

5. Market rate should be the same for all weddings. Best is to charge by the hour. A good start is S$50 an hour.

6. You are only as good as your clients.

Best of luck.

lost~ i do believe i said "Photoshop enhancement" so yeah, it's included in the price.
    Oops.. sorrie I missed out that part...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Oops.. sorrie I missed out that part...
    Lol, no probs.

As'salamualaikum Hazmee, i was just wondering, if $50 p/h for "NIKAH" would that be enough to justify the package i posted earlier?
    Originally Posted by shuhry81

P.S: Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the norm is actually minimum $500 for this type of package which is considered BASIC Maybe i'm a bit soft when it comes to negotiating

What's your take on this? Thanks for sharing!

[B][U]Originally Posted by shuhry81

For S$400/- + printout... your package is quite attractive...

Quote Originally Posted by artbox View Post
    Ya lah...what you think?
    lol hahahahha
    constantly learning & trying.

Lol, no probs.

As'salamualaikum Hazmee, i was just wondering, if $50 p/h for "NIKAH" would that be enough to justify the package i posted earlier?
    Originally Posted by shuhry81

P.S: Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the norm is actually minimum $500 for this type of package which is considered BASIC Maybe i'm a bit soft when it comes to negotiating

What's your take on this? Thanks for sharing!
    i get what you mean on "being a bit soft when it comes to negotiating"

i get that quite often.
    constantly learning & trying.

Quote Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
    i get what you mean on "being a bit soft when it comes to negotiating"

i get that quite often.
    Haha! A penny for your thoughts there babe! We don't celebrate Christmas but what the heck, Hase Photography Wishes you and the guys out there Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Malay, Chinese or Causasian... they are all the same. Its a wedding. My advice for those starting out is:

1. Keep your pricing simple and justified. E.g. If you are going to start work say from 10am to 5.30pm, its almost like a full day work. As a working professional, the minimum is a least $300 a day. That is only for shooting. You still have to spend time selecting images, post production, sending them to the lab, sort out the albums..etc. You should be paid for that too. That $300 is not even enough to pay for all that. Think about it.

2. If the client has a low budget, it doesn't mean you have to ignore them completely. Negotiate a deal. E.g. Client has only a $500 to spend for their wedding. Tell them with $500, they get only a CD with 300 images good enough for 4R prints and nothing else. No post production and straight from camera to CD. If they want an album, tell them its an additional cost. Make sure your time spent is justified. If not, you are just bleeding at every assignment. Don't forget that electricity bills, phone bills, transport, food etc.. all cost money. Nothing is free in this world.

3. Don't give in so easily and here's why. I am a working professional and I deserve to get paid just like everyone else who is working fulltime. Sometimes the amount they offer is pathetic and they expect 5-star service. Educate them. You get what you pay for. Same thing when you go shopping. Don't expect a Dior bag to cost S$100. Simple logic.

4. Some photographers are not confident to charge 'high' mainly because they do not have a solid portfolio to impress the clients. Don't worry, start small, think big. E.g. Start with a simple 2 day package of S$650. Give them simple stock albums that you can get from photo labs. Keep your overheads low. When you are confident, get a decent album maker and start charging accordingly.

5. Market rate should be the same for all weddings. Best is to charge by the hour. A good start is S$50 an hour.

6. You are only as good as your clients.

Best of luck.
    Spot on, Haz. This is about as good an advice I've seen here.

A wedding is wedding. Not so much as a rate based on cultural reasons (what if it's a Western/Malay Muslim, or Chinese/Malay Muslim marriage?), but a rate based on YOU, as the photographer.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast