Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My view from the Barrage

Default My view from the Barrage

Hi, i went down to the Barrage on the 12th Dec, and it was my first night shot after getting my camera for a few months.

As i realised from CS, the Barrage is one of the most "heavily-photographed" location in Singapore, thus i went there with the intent of finding a few unique angles to place my shots. Alas, i found one, and i managed to capture it. However, i screwed up my ISO slightly, as i was shooting some portraiture a few shots before i took this shot, and i totally -forgot- to change back my ISO. Yes, its a very amateur and foolish mistake, and i was very upset with myself for making such a blunder.

So, i would like to know, does this composition work for you guys?

And, is there any "artistic merit" that this picture deserve?

I know about the noisy picture, and lil-over-exposed sky, due to the ISO setting, therefore, pls don't slam me about that...

Default Re: My view from the Barrage

nice use of frame (the water jets), than lead lines (the left wall), than to the flyer that frame the building.

i prefer without the man in the photo. also, i would like to suggest you crop the bottom until you dont see the rough surface flooring and also the left so you dont see the part behind the wall. maybe a bounce flash to brighten the water jets?
    Last edited by denniskee; 17th December 2008 at 10:42 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

You might want to save in higher quality as there's visible JPEG artifacts.

There's something wrong about the fountain water which I don't quite know how to point it out. I feel it spoils the shot.
    Perhaps you might want to include more of it by zooming out or moving back.
    Nikon D80 - 18-55mm
    Flickr | DeviantArt

Hey hey, you got the idea, but the execution may not be perfect.
    Reminder to myself, NOT to spell out the flaws in my posted photo until others had. The difference in ISO is not that significant here.

I understand the difficulty getting this shot, the fountain is a long row, risking the camera getting wet. You could have used the inflash, or external flash or whichever next time, or make do with the limitations you got. If you're convinced that there's no way to get the shot that you had planned, too bad. Dont be too hard on yourself. Maybe perhaps you can come back someday, or wait till others duplicate your effort.

Overall, I had agreed to and shared dennis' POV. Keep shooting~
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    nice use of frame (the water jets), than lead lines (the left wall), than to the flyer that frame the building.

i prefer without the man in the photo. also, i would like to suggest you crop the bottom until you dont see the rough surface flooring and also the left so you dont see the part behind the wall. maybe a bounce flash to brighten the water jets?
    That man and his friend didnt look like they were moving off their comfortable spot as i was there for quite some time. =/ Hah. so maybe i'll just go down again another time, and try it again. I had a external flash, but i didnt "dare" to mount it on, as what cheguthamrin said was correct, i was risking my camera going for a skinny dip in the cold waters.. And the flash i had was a borrowed set.. =/

I'll take note of what you mentioned regarding the cropping, and i'll crop out another set, and set it to a higher quality and post it back here (If the mods allow me to post a 2nd pic within this thread that is.) =)

Thanks for the kind comments! and i'll keep them in mind. =)

Hi all, this is the editted/cropped version of the initial copy i posted above.

Please share your comments with me so i know where can i improve on! Thanks!! =)

Last edited by nIveL; 18th December 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: change of image size..

Quote Originally Posted by nIveL View Post
    So, i would like to know, does this composition work for you guys?

And, is there any "artistic merit" that this picture deserve?
    someone once said,

if you cannot tell what your subject is within 5 seconds of looking at the picture, trash the shot.

can you tell what your subject is?

In this case, it will be, the subject is the flyer, with the wall on the left "leading" my eyes into looking at the flyer. (minus the 2 men sitting there) And the water jets as a frame to the flyer itself.

In this case, it will be, the subject is the flyer, with the wall on the left "leading" my eyes into looking at the flyer. (minus the 2 men sitting there) And the water jets as a frame to the flyer itself.
    do you think that the wall is a sufficiently strong lead in?

how effective are the water jets as a frame?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    do you think that the wall is a sufficiently strong lead in?

how effective are the water jets as a frame?
    The water jets filled up the otherwise boring night sky, and act as a frame to the subject. Maybe, if there wasn't such a big empty space in between the water jets and the flyer, it might work out as a better frame? Is that what you mean?

Hmmm, if you feel that the wall isnt a strong enough lead in, what do you think might?

Or maybe u prefer just a plain shot w/o the wall inside the picture? Hmmm..

The water jets filled up the otherwise boring night sky, and act as a frame to the subject. Maybe, if there wasn't such a big empty space in between the water jets and the flyer, it might work out as a better frame? Is that what you mean?

Hmmm, if you feel that the wall isnt a strong enough lead in, what do you think might?

Or maybe u prefer just a plain shot w/o the wall inside the picture? Hmmm..
    what i meant is that too many cooks spoil the broth.

also that you are your best critic, if you think hard and long and do not get too personal with yourself.

frame within frame a good technique? yes. lead in line a good technique? yes.

mix the two? you will find it hard pressed to get a good photograph.

these are examples of good lead in lines (compositional merit alone):
    link1
    link2
    link3

they are strong, they are simple, and they literally bring your eye to what you want to show.

choose one, and it will stand all the better for it.

what i meant is that too many cooks spoil the broth.

also that you are your best critic, if you think hard and long and do not get too personal with yourself.

frame within frame a good technique? yes. lead in line a good technique? yes.

mix the two? you will find it hard pressed to get a good photograph.

these are examples of good lead in lines (compositional merit alone):
    link1
    link2
    link3

they are strong, they are simple, and they literally bring your eye to what you want to show.

choose one, and it will stand all the better for it.

Ahhhh!!! Much simpler terms.. =) I get what you mean.

So, i'll have to choose one, and foresake one. Ok.. I get it.. will remember not to mix too many ingredients next time. =)

Thanks thanks!

Giving a comment to a picture, which the photographer aready knew its a mistake will be unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Giving a comment to a picture, which the photographer aready knew its a mistake will be unfair.
    sorry, my english not good, i dont understand what you mean.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

As you said,the subject is the flyer.
    However,before I hit what you said,the first subject that drew me to the picture was the fountain overhead.
    It draws so much attention from the flyer as you had initially intended

Firstly,due to the competing other 'subject' which is the man.
    Secondly,the flyer incomparision to the fountain,is too small.It does not draw me to it.

When one had taken a series of pictures and select one which represent the rest and submit for critique/advice. That is to say, the " submitted " picture " is the " best " among all taken. The most appropriate/justified critique should come from oneself, which is the photographer him/herself. Truthful/Honest critque/advice can break into several segment of photography. Like in judging in a photo-competition where hard copies are to be submitted, even the mounting and presenting of the picture are points to be considered.

Whereas in this issue...the photographer aready admitted that he had made mistake on the ISO setting, instead of improving it on the next take, that is to get it " technically " correct, before asking for further advice. He submit it seeking for advice.

Sorry to say, it will be like some participant of the American Idol qualifying programme.

One simple way to know how one fair is to just show it around to family members,working colleaques, class mates or buddies. If 6 out of 10 give the word ..wow, that's nice ! BUT, you ( the photographer ) still find that your work still lack of something which cannot match those that's been posted on this forum...that's the time to submit for " constructive " advice. No hard feeling really.

My works had been rejected countless time by magazine, asking for crit, ( they don't even want to see my picture )..however..I adopt the Eveready slogan...Never Say Die...Die, Die also must try...of course for me it's a long and winding road.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 20th December 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Whereas in this issue...the photographer aready admitted that he had made mistake on the ISO setting, instead of improving it on the next take, that is to get it " technically " correct, before asking for further advice. He submit it seeking for advice.
    what if the photographer made more than just iso mistake?

you probably mean well, but there is no purpose or use in applying your own standards on everyone and expecting them to accept it.

what if the photographer made more than just iso mistake?

you probably mean well, but there is no purpose or use in applying your own standards on everyone and expecting them to accept it.

Lets just leave it as, Everyone got their own different viewpoints, and opinions. =)

I've realised the mistakes i've made, and i'll remember all the different pointers when i shoot the next time. =)

#17 refers,

Correct them one by one, a novice/beginner will be very confuse...tha's why beginners always ask that question...what camera did you use to get that picture ? Which is exactly the same question I'd asked before. Perhaps it's different for some genius.

Photography is a free form art, cannot force anyone to follow exactly what one want it to be done, unlike NDP, everything has got to falls in nicely in perfect timing when command is given...Mr. President, the parade is ready for inspection.

#17 refers,

Photography is like a grain of rice....

One type of rice feed thousands type of people....and

One camera, falls into different hand will produce different type of pictures. ( just for laugh )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast