Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turtle Soup

Default Re: Turtle Soup

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    then the only meat left for consumption is human meat
    Eeeee..... Have u seen what humans eat ? God, I wouldn't consume human meat man.... especially when they eat so much crap... hahahaa......

Snap ?

those turtle served as food are breed in farm.

similar to this turtle, is from flesh water, not catch from the sea.

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/fil...turtle_168.jpg

btw, saw one documentary in TV many years ago, those turtle are fed with pig liver and intestine.

in Sg, you won't able to find any bushmeat here, or else AVA or SPCA will come after you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    poor turtles... give them a chance to live in and put them back into their natural habitat. they are harmless.

as for poultry and other meat, these are farm animals; at birth time, their destiny is for the slaughter house. They are not directly part of the eco system.

If we can stop eating turtles, we have one more type of animal in the system.

OBJECTION!!!

nonsense, it is still lives we are talking about.

you haven't see how people slaughter cow, goat and pig.
    Objection !!!

i always go to the one at jalan berseh food centre with my dad. yellow bowls. their chilli is nice. in fact the food centre there has alot of nice foods. on the side which is facing mac opposite the road, u have nice fish soup and coffees. very recommended! u can read the reviews by dr leslie.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    i had the impression that most of the turtles meant for the soup were caught in the wild at a certain stage of their growth before housing them in a waiting area. imagine how many years it takes to raise a tortise. They grow so slowly that it really does not make sense to keep them for so long. as a businessman, i wont want to keep a turtle for 5 years and sell it for $20. it wont make money sense to me at all. well unless i can express its growth with drugs so i can maximise the returns within a few months.

anyway, this is new to me. thanks for sharing.
    For your reading .....

Quote from The Labour Newspaper, Vietnam

"
    Soft-shell Turtles and Profits
    Up until now, models of soft-shell turtle farming have been developed in various areas nationwide. Nevertheless, the demand for soft-shell turtles grows larger than the supply. The price of approximately 200,000 VND a kilo shows that soft-shell turtles are the “Gods of fresh water”.

A large number of soft-shell turtle farmers have become billionaires because they know how to apply proper techniques. For example, Mr. Tran Hoang Mai (or Tu Mai) who lives in Duong Dong of Phu Quoc district in Kien Giang province. He is one of the first people who began farming soft-shell turtles on Phu Quoc island.

At first, he had 20 million VND as his initial capital source. He was audacious to build farming ponds and bought nearly 1,000 soft-shell turtles as breeding stock. Three years later, he had 30,000 soft-shell turtles as breeding stock and about 5,000 reproducing soft-shell turtles. He earned nearly half a million VND from selling soft-shell turtles as breeding stock. At present, there are about 200 households of Phu Quoc island district following him to farm soft-shell turtles. Their lives have been considerably improved.

Soft-shell turtles are distributed throughout Southeast Asia , China , India , Africa and North America . In Vietnam , soft-shell turtles are distributed in almost all areas of the country. They mainly inhabit freshwater areas, and adapt to different types of climate areas thanks to their ability to change their body temperature. In fact, farming soft-shell turtles is not costly because soft-shell turtles eat different kinds of food such as earthworms, small fish and shrimp, snails, aquatic vegetations, ground corn, and sweet potatoes. Farmers are no longer worried about sources of food for their soft-shell turtles because the Vietnam Farmer Union has taught techniques to raise earthworms at many soft-shell turtle farms.

Soft-shell turtle can be harvested at the age of 12 months.

The harvest time often lasts from three to nine months.

Apart from being used to cook good dishes at restaurants, soft-shell turtles are known as a kind of effective medicine which can cure paludism, haemorrhaging and hemorrhagic. In eastern medicine, the shells of soft-shell turtles is helps relieve colds, reduces tension, is a tonic for sperm and blood, and is good for one's health. In addition, the grounded shell of soft-shell turtles can drive parasites or wood-eaters away.

The fact is that there is not enough supply of soft-shell turtles while the demands for soft-shell turtles remains large. A number of households still have to import soft-shell turtles as breeding stock from Thailand and Singapore . Meanwhile, the markets of Thailand and Singapore are ready to import soft-shell turtles to Thailand and Singapore for meat. " unquote.
    always the Light, .... always.

TURTLE HOUSE ORIGINAL
    403 Guillemard Road Singapore 399795
    also serve crocodile meat

Cool Re: Turtle Soup

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Don't let old people anyhow eat turtle soup. It can be quite 'powerful' for weak bodies. My grandpa died because of turtle soup. Just my 2 cents. Beware of the herbs they put inside. Sometimes it may not be suitable for us, especially guys.
    Sorry i posted this thread guys! I've lost my appetite for turtles! Anyone want to join me for prata?

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    Turtles served in Turtle soup shops are bred as well. at least, that was what i remembered. So there is no distinction between them and poultry and other domestic food animals. I merely brought that up to highlight how people tend to go "save the ______ (insert name of unconventional animal here)" and not realise the irony of how they eat other animals without thinking.
    Yes I do read your point. Somehow, it is hard to make people imagine how farm animals are ill treated. Poultry is one of the worse of the lot.

However, if we can stop one more type of animal being exploited as an object for human torture, we would have won another small battle.

Cool Re: Turtle Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post

Save the turtles =/
    Hiya, love the photo of the Turtle! Saw the wedding photo's as well. Wondering if you still shoot flims.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    OBJECTION!!!

nonsense, it is still lives we are talking about.

you haven't see how people slaughter cow, goat and pig.
    objection heard. yes, i had seen enough documentaries about farm animal torture. Its about profiteering. It is demand and supply. You cannot stop supply when there are still demands for them.

Look at shark fin. It is cruel as it gets, but until today, people are still searching for the best shark fins in town. Besides, how good a wedding dinner is will be usually judged by the abalone and shark fin dish. If either of these fails, the meal sucks according to the elderly.

Mercy killing is not as critical as what these animals are fed with and the amount of chemicals used on them to express the growth and even tastes. Farm engineering is not just about equipment. It is a wholesome system to pump the live stocks up and harvest them with the least cost/time required.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    For your reading .....

Quote from The Labour Newspaper, Vietnam

"
    Thats an informative read. It really looks lucrative.

Turtle treat is indeed a sensitive topic. Some say they take them as tonic and for medicinal purposes. Some eat them for the special taste to fulfill the turtle meat cravings. I guess we should let the TS enjoy his own meat as lobbying here wont do much good.

Besides, its all about choices.

turtle soup ah? i like leh. used to go to the one at geylang lorong dunno-wat liao when they were selling for $6 a bowl. gave up after prices hit $10+. usually eat with duck rice from another stall.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    turtle soup ah? i like leh. used to go to the one at geylang lorong dunno-wat liao when they were selling for $6 a bowl. gave up after prices hit $10+. usually eat with duck rice from another stall.
    Lorong 27 lah, long time never eat already!

Quote Originally Posted by LCRaymon View Post
    Lorong 27 lah, long time never eat already!
    hehe..ya. that sounds correct. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    hehe..ya. that sounds correct. thanks
    Order 1 big bowl tomorrow!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12