Thread: Resignation

Default Resignation

I was at a deer ranch in Harbin, China, where deers are bred to have their antlers sawed off for medicinal uses, then slaughtered and eaten. What struck me was what I saw in their eyes, I dunno if you can see it, but their expression tells of resignation and the pain they've been through. I decided to snap this shot as the deer behind the main subject turned to face me. Note the sawed off antlers and clip ears.

I didn't follow the rule of thirds, the deer in front is slightly off as I wanted to capture both the deers. Didn't do much PP except to darken the background which was too bright.

Taken with Canon 1000D, ISO 200, 1/800s, f/5.6, at 190mm with a EF 75-300mm USM lens.

Default Re: Resignation

I can't say I see their pain.... surely there are other people out there who can relate to animals' expression but I don't know what a happy deer looks like so I can't compare. I apologise before hand if it sounds I'm making fun of their plight, but expression-wise they look like any other deer I've seen on TV.

A better illustration of their situation would have been to document the facts. If you could have gotten closer to them and composed with their sawed off antlers in mind, it would have made a stronger statement of what these animals face. Or maybe you could have explored the relation between ranch handlers and their herd. When an animal is truly in pain, they will have an expression for it. This isn't it, and doesn't make people sit up and take notice.

Point noted, thanks alot for the advice!

What about the composition of the picture? Let's say I just want to capture a portrait of a deer with another behind it looking on, in this case, is it an except of the thirds rule if I wanted to include both the animals?

Quote Originally Posted by wootnick View Post
    Point noted, thanks alot for the advice!

What about the composition of the picture? Let's say I just want to capture a portrait of a deer with another behind it looking on, in this case, is it an except of the thirds rule if I wanted to include both the animals?
    hi.
    for composition wise, it works fine here, but i think could have been stronger if you took a portrait instead.
    btw not all photos have to have a composition. some photos work best when everything is centralized. depends on situations.

Thirds is a guideline. Does it look right in your own eyes in the first place, you have to trust your instincts in the field. Practise with the crop tool in PS and see if you can make alternative framings. It looks fine for me, it looks to be on the thirds anyway, don't know why you will think it's off. It's easy on the eyes and doesn't look out of place.

Deregistered

i tot it looks really gd. if u stare in the dear's eyes you will feel it. dont bother abt what others say most are too technical well.. i thought its nice

I don't feel the sense of resignation but I like the picture though.
    The composition wise I do agree with foxtwo, it looks like ure following the rules of third.
    Anyway, its just me, Im a newbie btw, still got alot to learn too