Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    WOW! can get high!
    MOO-Hoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    in such poor economic times, our tpt minister dared to issue a challenge to raise gst by 1.5%! he may win the argument, but he fail to win the hearts of the people.
    raise to GST 8.5% faster lah, i want my free rides!!

dun have free rides later GST oso will rise. MTL!!

The Public Transport Council (PTC) <== what is this for then?
    Just to give gov't stamp of approval to any price hike?

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

i feel the same bro..i dun mind pay 8.5% gst if there dare give free rides
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

The Public Transport Council (PTC) <== what is this for then?
    Just to give gov't stamp of approval to any price hike?
    Ain't their priority supposed to be the consumers, aka the public? Sigh

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Ain't their priority supposed to be the consumers, aka the public? Sigh
    tripartite?? gov->company->union/council =====> u!

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    tripartite?? gov->company->union/council =====> u!
    PTC here sadly doesnt mean Please Thoroughly Consider..

MOO-Hoo!!

the 8.5% is based on today's rate... next time, tell you GST 20% then you know.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    the 8.5% is based on today's rate... next time, tell you GST 20% then you know.
    if they dare! try it man! got guts say no guts take action??

I volunteer to Pay 9 percent GST.... IF public transport really becomes FREE.....

no, to make sure dun milk the cows to death!!
    if they dare! try it man! got guts say no guts take action??
    If the above dosen't happen..mabbe they will try.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

free rides for at least 365 days, weekdays, weekends & public holidays.

just think about how much they'll save in the long run. no fare cheats to catch = less staff needed, no fancy tap-tap machines = less maintainance.

can somebody with betta maths than me calculate much much costs savings that would add up to? not forgetting inflation...

the free rides theory still makes jack a poor boy.

imagine if jack needs to purchase a house, a bike, a car or some big ticket items along the year. Besides, it affects daily commodities like bread and coffee and even instant noodle.

The amount paid for rides is not a whole lot more. Besides, adding 1.5% is not just 1.5% revenue to uncle sam. You have to multiply the supply chain behind that is paying the additional 1.5%. That could multiply by at least 3 times. And when it reaches the supermarket, they up the price again as they wont like to absorb the difference.

So, this is a number trick. Do you remember the 21% increase in electricity bill? Did you forget that there is a 7% gst on it too? the actual increase in the utility bill is 29.47%! And with excess profits and extra gst charged due to a forecast mistake, what had been paid back to consumers for EMA's mistakes? Nothing.

This is just plain stupid. When fuel prices go up, transport fares go up. When fuel prices go down, suddenly there is "no direct relation" between fuel price and transport fares.

Take a look at this:

"SBS Transit and SMRT attributed the need for a fare increase to soaring energy and fuel prices. " blah blah followed with crap about diesel prices.
    Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...364326/1/.html

And now this:
    "Current falling oil prices will not translate into a similar drop in public transport fares as there is no direct correlation. "
    Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_317155.html

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    u are rite. my bad....

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Ur rite.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    This is just plain stupid. When fuel prices go up, transport fares go up. When fuel prices go down, suddenly there is "no direct relation" between fuel price and transport fares.

Take a look at this:

"SBS Transit and SMRT attributed the need for a fare increase to soaring energy and fuel prices. " blah blah followed with crap about diesel prices.

And now this:
    "Current falling oil prices will not translate into a similar drop in public transport fares as there is no direct correlation. "
    Ur pretty rite also.
    But we no say. So what to do? just pay lor...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post

Take a look at this:

And now this:
    I think this is not plain stupid but rather, how little u understand about energy prices.

Falling oil prices are jus future contracts. They do not represent in actual, how much oil is being sold OTC. And in the process of refinery, other costs have to be factored in. Else, according to your assumption, petrol shld be retailing below $1, as compared to over $2, since oil has dropped 2/3.

Also, both SMRT & SBS Transit do not operate on diesel alone. In fact, their main bulk of energy is electricity. And of cos they being customers of electricity companies like we do, are at the mercy of such companies too. One last thing to take note.. electricity in SG is produced by gas, which is not much affected by prices of crude oil.

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    I think this is not plain stupid but rather, how little u understand about energy prices.

Falling oil prices are jus future contracts. They do not represent in actual, how much oil is being sold OTC. And in the process of refinery, other costs have to be factored in. Else, according to your assumption, petrol shld be retailing below $1, as compared to over $2, since oil has dropped 2/3.

Also, both SMRT & SBS Transit do not operate on diesel alone. In fact, their main bulk of energy is electricity. And of cos they being customers of electricity companies like we do, are at the mercy of such companies too. One last thing to take note.. electricity in SG is produced by gas, which is not much affected by prices of crude oil.
    It could be that petrol has not dropped by 2/3 because oil companies want to make more money i.e. even if their costs are down, the retail price is not brought down in tandem with oil prices. Have the "other costs" to be factored in increased as well?

If gas prices are not much affected by prices of crude oil, then why did electricity prices spike in tandem with oil prices?

PS. I am no expert in energy prices so these questions are genuine and not meant to be sarcastic.

I think is not how little we understand about the energy prices but rather, how little you want to be in the eyes of your fellow countrymen by lying through your teeth to protect your faith in white.

Falling oil price is reflected as the spot rate. I can go to the counter and buy at that price. Why is Shell cutting their pump price when the sweet crude falls in price?

The gas used in Singapore to generate electricity is peged to the oil price!
    The man in white made this statement, and you say otherwise. So who is lying now?

Future Contracts, do you know why they introduce this to the price equation? You know alot, so you tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by www.straitstimes.com
    Fuel oil and natural gas are used to produce electricity. Although 80 per cent of Singapore's electricity is powered by natural gas, the price of electricity it pegged to that of fuel oil because there is no natural gas benchmark in the Asian market.
    Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_310217.html
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Blog Entries

the general discussion is good, but please do refrain from taking it personally and start some kind of war that would force my hand.
    I will not repeat this again.

Have a nice day

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast