Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 107

Thread: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

  1. #61

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vanaaa View Post
    they hire PRC man to be captain because Singaporean not interest in this job & their pay is cheaper......IMO, public transport fare in S'pore is really really cheap.....
    cheap compared to? It have to be! Look at the alternative in a vis-a-vis comparison... there isn't really any.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vanaaa View Post
    they hire PRC man to be captain because Singaporean not interest in this job & their pay is cheaper......IMO, public transport fare in S'pore is really really cheap.....
    it will depend on how much a person's monthly expenditure it takes up. not forgetting some have a family of 4. so even with both parents working it'll still be tough.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vanaaa View Post
    they hire PRC man to be captain because Singaporean not interest in this job & their pay is cheaper......IMO, public transport fare in S'pore is really really cheap.....
    u think cheap? i guess can be cheaper.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    bus co r social services. it shouldnt b privatised totally. the gov should keep at least some of the basic services. once it is privatised/corporatised, the main aim like all commercial organisations is to make profits, more and more profits every yr. if the co doesnt improve in profits yr after yr, the one running the show will b booted out by the owner/shareholders.

    imagine, a social service like primary education is privatised. it will start to charge primary school fees! u can imagine what the literacy rate will b.

    will ntuc fairprice will privatised next?

  5. #65
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,564

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post

    will ntuc fairprice will privatised next?
    I thought it already is...or acting like it for more then a decade or 2...look how many businesses they went about to compete with or push out. heheh.. They use to be the people's workers union ...not sure what happen ..heheh...go figure.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    I quote :

    "SINGAPORE : It would take a further 1.5 percentage point hike in GST if bus and train rides were to be made completely free.

    Transport Minister Raymond Lim revealed this at a dialogue session with MacPherson residents on Sunday.

    One resident at the session said: "(During) this tough and uncertain period, I hope there will be no increase in transport fares."

    With leaner times ahead and recovery not yet in sight, public transport fares - always a hot issue - dominated the discussion.

    And while Mr Lim is making no promises, he said he understands ground concerns and pointed out that the Public Transport Council will look carefully at economic conditions before considering any increase.

    But if things became really bad, will the government consider subsidising public transport fares?

    Mr Lim pointed out that even with subsidies, it will still be the public which ends up paying.

    Mr Lim elaborated: "There are only two persons who pay when it comes to public transport fares. One, I use - I pay. Or two, I use - you help me subsidise my ride. What happens when you subsidise my rides? That means the taxpayers are now paying."

    Going to the other end of the spectrum, if rides were to be made completely free, that would impose a heavy tax burden on the people, as it takes S$1.2 billion just to run the bus and train systems annually.

    Mr Lim said: "The money still must come from somewhere, right? It is about a 1.5 percentage point increase of your GST. So, now it is 7%. You want it to be free, do you want the GST to go up to 8.5% to run a completely free bus and train system?"

    But with oil prices - which operators traditionally cite as one of their high cost factors - dropping significantly in recent months, why have bus fares not come down in tandem?

    Mr Lim explained: "This is because the public transport fare is not directly linked to the oil prices. We link it to national factors, like the inflation level in Singapore, and the wage level in the whole of Singapore."

    Moving to a cheaper form of transport, one resident asked: "I would like to know... whether we are having, in the near future, a pro-bicycle government policy, where it can provide shady bicycle tracks all over the island."

    For now, Mr Lim said using two-wheelers as a form of transport is good for just intra-town travel. And it cannot be applied uniformly across the island but has to be adapted for different communities. "

  7. #67

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    I totally disagree with what MR Lim had said.

    Why is there a need to increase our GST another 1.5 per cent by giving free or subsidising fares?


    The Public Transport Council (PTC) should look at the P&L of each transportation company. Giving public a slightly lower fare would not throw the company into a loss making company. How about rewarding the people who had given more when the fare raised? It is hard times now and will be even harder times later. Help those who had help the company made profit every year. Such companies had monopolized the transportation scene for the longest time, PTC should get these companies to pay for such privileges.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    You want it to be free, do you want the GST to go up to 8.5% to run a completely free bus and train system?"
    8.5% GST got free train & bus ride ok mah. completely free leh!!

    completely free for how long? if 365 days good wad. that is, if standards dun drop.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    public transport !? they are public listed on stock exchange... profits driven business ! since when do common people have a say in it ? shareholders made the decisions.

    not happy ? ... u walk home loh !
    Last edited by Exposure; 22nd December 2008 at 12:03 PM.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    public transport !? they are public listed on stock exchange... profits driven business ! since when do common people have a say in it ? shareholders made the decisions.

    not happy ? ... u walk home loh !
    well said....we should do "let's walk home" strike one day.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    bus co r social services. it shouldnt b privatised totally. the gov should keep at least some of the basic services. once it is privatised/corporatised, the main aim like all commercial organisations is to make profits, more and more profits every yr. if the co doesnt improve in profits yr after yr, the one running the show will b booted out by the owner/shareholders.

    imagine, a social service like primary education is privatised. it will start to charge primary school fees! u can imagine what the literacy rate will b.

    will ntuc fairprice will privatised next?
    Well. Actually this was surely known beforehand. But the motive is to make money...money and..money...every cent counts.

  12. #72

    Smile Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    absurb! twists and turns in arguments. so typically of our leaders.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    The 2 Public Transport Companies in Singapore operate a cash cow business model leh.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    The 2 Public Transport Companies in Singapore operate a cash cow business model leh.
    The Public Transport Council (PTC) <== what is this for then?
    Just to give gov't stamp of approval to any price hike?

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    The Public Transport Council (PTC) <== what is this for then?
    Just to give gov't stamp of approval to any price hike?
    no, to make sure dun milk the cows to death!!

  16. #76

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    no, to make sure dun milk the cows to death!!

  17. #77

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    no, to make sure dun milk the cows to death!!
    For that I am grateful. I will send prayers of thanks for them and bless them for their kindness of their hearts. And hope i will continue to do till the day I die.


  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    For that I am grateful. I will send prayers of thanks for them and bless them for their kindness of their hearts. And hope i will continue to do till the day I die.

    good for u. hope they'll send some premium cow feed- grass (in exchange for beef & leather) to u soon!!

  19. #79

    Default Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    good for u. hope they'll send some premium cow feed- grass (in exchange for beef & leather) to u soon!!

    WOW! can get high!

  20. #80

    Smile Re: Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

    in such poor economic times, our tpt minister dared to issue a challenge to raise gst by 1.5%! he may win the argument, but he fail to win the hearts of the people.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •