Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: becareful of airplane overhead compartment

Default Re: becareful of airplane overhead compartment

If the pressure and temperature is that abrupt to cause that to happen during flight, our cams will be gone in winter climate nor u would survive the flight with such dramatic decompression. I reckon someone threw something hard and pointed onto ur bag or resting on ur bag. I wonder how much i can put under my seat....ve laptop under my seat too...lol

Quote Originally Posted by nstclicks View Post
    Thermal stress. The metal outer ring shrinks faster than the filter glass, so if say the lens was warm when it went into the overhead compartment and for some reason the air-con was particularly cold on the flight, the glass might crack spontaneously.

I've seen a BMW in Singapore whose window just cracked spontaneously after being parked in the sun (opposite problem from above :-) Apparently non-tropicalised parallel imports are prone to that.

Impossible to be thermal stress.At coldest,the air con can only be around 18degree celsius thereabout.For glass to suffer from higher level of brittle fructure,it would have to undergo glass transition.That is where the glass becomes harder,stronger but has a lower tolerance against brittle fructure.To induce a higher level of brittleness,the filter would have to be subjected to very low temperture.
    Take a lab glove for instance,it's flimsy and highly flexible isn't it?Use a hammer and hammer it.What happens?
    Now submerge it into liquid nitrogen for 5 sec.Then use the same hammer and hammer it.What happens?
    Similarly,by the same measure.The glass on the filter can only be broken if it's at it's glass transition temperature.
    However,it's not the case
    Last edited by Giorgio; 19th December 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    Impossible to be thermal stress.At coldest,the air con can only be around 18degree celsius thereabout.For glass to suffer from higher level of brittle fructure,it would have to undergo glass transition.That is where the glass becomes harder,stronger but has a lower tolerance against brittle fructure.
    true...winter photographers will have to change filters every yr if it's really thermal stress...

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Sorry, wrong. The filter thread is not airtight or pressure tight. So the air pressure between the filter and front element will change as the cabin pressure changes. The same goes for the rest of the camera (lens mount). Otherwise we would hear stories of cameras bursting or cracking the moment the airplane goes up (and cabin pressure gets lowered).
    Thanks bro for correcting me =)
    Cheers

I've just come back from a trip. On both flights, I'd stored in the over head compartment my cam in a bag with 2 lenses with a full sized tripod strapped on the bag itself. I've even tried to push the bag around the compartment.. don't think your cracked filter is from impact.

I think it is due to other bags being squeezed into your compartment. I was a frequent flyer and quite frankly, there are some routes where I see it is common to have passengers hauling loads of stuff onto the plane.

Took SQ too. Haven't flew for close to 2 months already. But service, food and flight still as good leh. Then again if I am to fly frequently like I used to, I will probably go for other airlines. The FF miles are worth much more.
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

Next time if you see a fellow passenger trying to chuck his BIG BULKY bags next to yours in the overhead compartment, please do something about it. Your gears, no one else is gonna bother to look after them for you.

And IIRC, passengers are not supposed to keep luggage or bags beneath your seats especially when the "seatbelts on" sign is lit. Supposed to be stored in the overhead compartment.

yea, put ur gears under the seat infront of u if u r not on the 1st roll. all u need is a clown who tryin to squeeze his 2 tonnes of cabin bag, dat's it ba...

Confirm not thermal or pressure stress...I brought the same lens (plus HMC filter) aboard a flight to Taipei b4. The mounted lens was inside my lowepro under my seat, nothing happened. It takes much greater force to crack the filter...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    Next time if you see a fellow passenger trying to chuck his BIG BULKY bags next to yours in the overhead compartment, please do something about it. Your gears, no one else is gonna bother to look after them for you.

And IIRC, passengers are not supposed to keep luggage or bags beneath your seats especially when the "seatbelts on" sign is lit. Supposed to be stored in the overhead compartment.

I have always been allowed to keep my camera bag (an ancient Lowe Elite Pro)underneath my seat or below the seat in front of me, or on an empty seat next to me. The only occasion when I was not allowed was when my seat row is next to the Emergency exit - then nothing should be in the path to the emergency exit. (I used to ask for a seat in the emergency exit row as there is usually more leg room - but not any more)
    I have stowed my telescope outfit + compact camera + portable storage device in a Lowe Pro Computer Trekker in the overhead compartment on at least three occasions but the 86mm B+W filter was OK. But I remember making sure that there was no heavy bags on top of mine or next to mine and I kept an eye until the overhead compartment door was closed.

So looks like still a mystery

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123