Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: becareful of airplane overhead compartment

Default Re: becareful of airplane overhead compartment

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Can someone link the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by melvdesigns View Post
    i always stow my camera bag under the seat on airplanes. much safer i reckon.
    Me too, I usually placed my camera bag under my seat whenever i fly.

Actually there shouldn't be anything wrong in placing camera stuff in the overhead compartment.

Maybe it is just less convenient than putting in under your seat.

So long your equipment is well protected in a bag (with cushion etc), it should be fine. And of course, nothing is placed on top of your bag.

AdamAir or not, planes don't fly erratically. Nor would things in the overhead compartment fly around erratically.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by bervyn View Post
    Me too, I usually placed my camera bag under my seat whenever i fly.
    i also...

i feel safer with them in my care...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Too bad my backpack can't fit under the seat.

Never had such issues before, and i do fly quite often.

Could it be the insufficient of the cushion in the bag or probably the gears are too cramped thus no freeplay?

Anyway, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by mummum View Post
    Could it be the insufficient of the cushion in the bag or probably the gears are too cramped thus no freeplay?
    How was your backpack positioned? Upright or flat? Which side was facing the compartment walls? Where was the camera inside positioned centrally or not? Try to remember as much details as possible and you'll find the weak spot. Also: was the cam inside just between all the other items or inside a smaller cam bag? If the ball head is just next to the lens it's not surprising that something cracks. You might have packed everything nicely at home but when custom officers start getting nosy it's easily messed up.
    During my trips I had the small Canon bag inside my backpack and it all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Ah thanks that's bad. I was stuck on dialup modem for days and now the broadband is back.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Anyway, think you can claim from the travel insurance if you have one. Covers up to $500 per item only.

However I'm still surprised on how the filter can crack if it didnt drop. I have about 10Kg of gears in my backpack which I put in the overhead compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by ongbenghui View Post
    be careful of putting camera on airplane overhead compartment, even with camera bag.

This happen to my 18-200, mounted on my camera.

Check this out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ongbenghui/3109807735/

my B+W filter is all smashed up. But the lens survived.
    But the front element is badly scratched, right?

Hi hi,

Anyway, it is just a word of caution. I am using a Lowepro Rezo 160AW. My Cam is a D300. Within the bag, it is just the Cam, lens and that's it.

The front B+W filter is smashed up. But no scratch on the lens. Lens still works. Nikon Quality ?

I think it is just the usual turbulences during flight that causes it. Maybe someone has a hard case with something hard hitting the len.

But, for those that travel regularly, take note. it is fortunate that the problem happen to me when I am coming back from China.
    And, I took Singapore airline in this case.

PS: I think standard for Singapore Airline has drop. On my flight to China, the airplane land so hard that the overhead mask pop down.
    Last edited by ongbenghui; 17th December 2008 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Anyway, think you can claim from the travel insurance if you have one. Covers up to $500 per item only.

However I'm still surprised on how the filter can crack if it didnt drop. I have about 10Kg of gears in my backpack which I put in the overhead compartment.

tsk tsk ... OT a bit .... you are only allowed 7kg on board !

Quote Originally Posted by ongbenghui View Post
    be careful of putting camera on airplane overhead compartment, even with camera bag.

This happen to my 18-200, mounted on my camera.

Check this out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ongbenghui/3109807735/

my B+W filter is all smashed up. But the lens survived.
    Hi Fellow Brothers,

I think the filter cracked coz of the altitude or smth . not due to impact as I have read it somewhere that the guy was hugging his cam yet his filter cracked. no impact or wad so ever.

Just a newbish 2Cents

Quote Originally Posted by afrodizziact View Post
    tsk tsk ... OT a bit .... you are only allowed 7kg on board !

hehehe if size of bag within limit, they didnt check the weight. I even carry 2 bags on board.
    Last edited by DeSwitch; 17th December 2008 at 02:17 PM.

thats why i would put my bag and glass under the seat infront of mine or under mine

Quote Originally Posted by Filbertoh View Post
    Hi Fellow Brothers,

I think the filter cracked coz of the altitude or smth . not due to impact as I have read it somewhere that the guy was hugging his cam yet his filter cracked. no impact or wad so ever.

Just a newbish 2Cents
    Sorry, wrong. The filter thread is not airtight or pressure tight. So the air pressure between the filter and front element will change as the cabin pressure changes. The same goes for the rest of the camera (lens mount). Otherwise we would hear stories of cameras bursting or cracking the moment the airplane goes up (and cabin pressure gets lowered).

Thermal stress. The metal outer ring shrinks faster than the filter glass, so if say the lens was warm when it went into the overhead compartment and for some reason the air-con was particularly cold on the flight, the glass might crack spontaneously.

I've seen a BMW in Singapore whose window just cracked spontaneously after being parked in the sun (opposite problem from above :-) Apparently non-tropicalised parallel imports are prone to that.

Quote Originally Posted by nstclicks View Post
    Thermal stress. The metal outer ring shrinks faster than the filter glass, so if say the lens was warm when it went into the overhead compartment and for some reason the air-con was particularly cold on the flight, the glass might crack spontaneously.

I've seen a BMW in Singapore whose window just cracked spontaneously after being parked in the sun (opposite problem from above :-) Apparently non-tropicalised parallel imports are prone to that.
    In Europe, during summer, the temperature can be as hot as 37-40c, which is much hotter than in Singapore. As to why did the BMW window cracked when parked under the sun in Singapore does puzzle me. If cars built in Europe can survive European extreme weather, I can't see the rational why it can't survive Asian weather.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    But thought infront of the filter there's still a lens cap?
    Still couldn't figure out how the filter will crack.
    In future just place your camera under the seat or hug it, that's what i always do.
    Usually the front element of the lens is slightly recessed from the filter thread. It might be possible that the cap has some protrusion that may have pressed against your filter without you knowing, so instead of sitting against the rim, the cap is sitting on the glass. Check it out especially those who use slim filters, so as long as the cap puts some pressure on the glass, it will yield.

You can check by looking at how the cap sits on the filter. If from the side view there is a slight gap between cap and the filter, there is a chance that the cap may have been sitting on the glass itself instead of the rim.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th December 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Usually the front element of the lens is slightly recessed from the filter thread. It might be possible that the cap has some protrusion that may have pressed against your filter without you knowing, so instead of sitting against the rim, the cap is sitting on the glass. Check it out especially those who use slim filters, so as long as the cap puts some pressure on the glass, it will yield.

You can check by looking at how the cap sits on the filter. If from the side view there is a slight gap between cap and the filter, there is a chance that the cap may have been sitting on the glass itself instead of the rim.
    Thanx for the info, learned something new again.

the damage looks like it may have been hit with some impact from the side from something hard. otw the cap would have cracked too albeit its plastic. i've seen and experienced inconsiderate passengers ramming their bags into full overhead compartments, and in the process crushing other bags. i shudder to think of the contents.

some airlines won't allow you to stow your bag under the seat. what i normally do in such cases is to monitor the bags going in, and offering assistance to potential "rammers". i won't put my bag in last either, because some ppl will just push/ pull your bag aside when the plane is still taxiing, and you risk your bag of gear falling down.

safest way is perhaps to invest in a hard case that fits cabin overhead luggage specs.
    Many are culled, few are chosen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast