Thread: First feed

Default First feed

Yesterday was my son's first time trying solid foods.

Photo was taken on a D90, 35mm F2
    iso : 200
    f2.5
    1/25
    spot metering

Crop and Whitebalance processed with Capture NX

Need some critique.
    Is the framing and white balance ok?
    Exposure? Extremely hard to get correct light as full length windows are on the right.
    Doesnt look sharp too right?

Default Re: First feed

friend, you should use tripod at low light condition, I do not think this is the sharp picture.
    the back ground is so irritating the draw quite some attentions.

keep working.

Cute little baby!

1 - Tad too bluish, dont you think so?
    2 - Could have used faster shutter speed, since its @ f2. Tha baby was not still, thats why it looks blurry.
    3- Could have a hand holding a spoon, feeding him into the frame.
    4- the table top could have been included a bit more, horizontal, or none at all, if you had just wnted to capture his facial expressions.

Thats all from me, based on 1st impression. I hope this was not the ONLY picture you took. I would have taken in burst mode and picked out the sharpest / more interesting pose. Keep shooting!
    Last edited by cheguthamrin; 15th December 2008 at 12:09 PM.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

A tripod won't help when comes to photographing kids. Either pump up the ISO or shoot near a window (of course if it's daytime). Photos like these, don't have to worry too much about the background, as it's the moment that matters more. White balance seems a bit off ... too blue. Why not try adding the hand & spoon in the frame, as it will say more about first time he's having solid food?

higher ISO will be better, you will be able to prevent out of focus or movement, noisy pictures are not really that terrible.

for such situation is do custom WB, you will get closer to original skin tone.

since the baby is stay still in one place only, just use manual exposure is far better auto exposure.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by stevens View Post
    friend, you should use tripod at low light condition, I do not think this is the sharp picture.
    the back ground is so irritating the draw quite some attentions.

keep working.
    mmm background gonna be hard to solve

Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Cute little baby!

1 - Tad too bluish, dont you think so?
    2 - Could have used faster shutter speed, since its @ f2. Tha baby was not still, thats why it looks blurry.
    3- Could have a hand holding a spoon, feeding him into the frame.
    4- the table top could have been included a bit more, horizontal, or none at all, if you had just wnted to capture his facial expressions.

Thats all from me, based on 1st impression. I hope this was not the ONLY picture you took. I would have taken in burst mode and picked out the sharpest / more interesting pose. Keep shooting!
    theres quite a bit..yes the wb looks a bit too much blue. will try up iso and shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    A tripod won't help when comes to photographing kids. Either pump up the ISO or shoot near a window (of course if it's daytime). Photos like these, don't have to worry too much about the background, as it's the moment that matters more. White balance seems a bit off ... too blue. Why not try adding the hand & spoon in the frame, as it will say more about first time he's having solid food?
    was on auto WB, then tuned via capture nx. probably will try iso pump

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    higher ISO will be better, you will be able to prevent out of focus or movement, noisy pictures are not really that terrible.

for such situation is do custom WB, you will get closer to original skin tone.

since the baby is stay still in one place only, just use manual exposure is far better auto exposure.

will try manual exposure

thanks for comments

i think you're missing one vital thing.
    FOOD!

1. Where's the food.
    2. The picture isn't tack sharp.
    3. The white balance seems off. Try Photoshop/Adobe Bridge. Capture NX ain't so great.

Cute baby...