Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Getting the AMD signed is not easy...my auntie went to a local doctor and he kind of like brush her away stating he not comfortable helping her sign the AMD form. Gosh
    Though not cast in stone but it could be because the Doctor believes in keeping to the Hippocratic Oath, which states that a doctor should do his patient no harm. It is in conflict with the objective of the AMD as most would see it. It is the duty of a doctor to do his best to save or sustain life. That is a dilemma that has alot of discussion in Singapore as well as the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Though not cast in stone but it could be because the Doctor believes in keeping to the Hippocratic Oath, which states that a doctor should do his patient no harm. It is in conflict with the objective of the AMD as most would see it. It is the duty of a doctor to do his best to save or sustain life. That is a dilemma that has alot of discussion in Singapore as well as the rest of the world.
    Quite possible too.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Arrow Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

The cost of cancer treatment is very high, I believe that this is a con job.

Going through the public health care here in Singapore, it is overloaded with Singaporeans and foreign workers.

i'm not a doctor, but i thought the oath also says something to reduce the patient suffering?

for me, i would rather the doc take away my life rather than sustain it if i need to suffer greatly..

Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    i'm not a doctor, but i thought the oath also says something to reduce the patient suffering?

for me, i would rather the doc take away my life rather than sustain it if i need to suffer greatly..
    That's where morphine comes in..... Most cancer patients are kept pretty much drugged towards the end to help them cope with the pain and suffering.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnchan View Post
    My dad always says... it's cheaper to die.

what the hell man.. but yah true.. i dunno abt these no locals lah.. i think if he was local i prob would have help!

That's where morphine comes in..... Most cancer patients are kept pretty much drugged towards the end to help them cope with the pain and suffering.
    that why i say might as well let me go... what the point of pumping my almost dead body full of morphine to save/sustain life...

Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    that why i say might as well let me go... what the point of pumping my almost dead body full of morphine to save/sustain life...
    Well, that's the view for some of us.

The reverse is true for those who wanna cling onto life waiting for a miracle. Case in point: HOTA Argument. But that's another topic for another time I guess.

My school of thought is that when the Greater Being above decides its ur time to go, morphine or not, HOTA or not, your body will turn cold before the crack of dawn.
    If the Boss up there decides its not ur time yet, you will by a stroke of fate, come to.

Few days back while eating in Hougang Coffee shop, one chinese man with a folder showing a chinese newspaper write out . He was soliciting for money to cure his cancer... I think he does not look local....anyway the way he pleaded just breaks my heart yet....since i cant read chinese...no way to know if he was telling me the truth... he went to the next table and people gave him like few dollars...damn sad scene....

Anyone encounter something like that?
    I hate to say this but the experience reeks and screams strongly that the guy is a FAKE.

Let's use simple logic. Cancer treatment is not cheap. It costs in the region of thousands $. For the guy to beg a few dollars and cents here and there per day, by the time he collects sufficiently, I'm not sure if he will have died from the sickness.

I personally encountered a few other cases of begging. One involved a healthy looking guy who went around in hawker center asking for money to buy food. Another went around with an elderly lady saying something like she needed money for medical treatment.

Think about it. There are avenues out there for the sick and poor to seek treatment. This is Singapore not some backward country where they let people die in the streets cos they've got no money. No matter what, there is help. Is there really a need to beg? and like I said, beg till when so that they have enough to pay the medical bills?

A friend made a very good observation that, for some of these beggers and healthy-looking con artists (really, they are just that), they can walk, talk and breathe normally like you and I, is there really no job out there they can do to earn their keeps, no matter how simple, rather than beg?

I hate to say this, cos I'm implicating myself. But I find Singaporeans can be really dumb sometimes. We rush for cheap stuffs, we refuse to help our own fellow countrymen, we are rude to one another, but when a foreign national begs and plays with our sympathies, we give them cash readily. The guy or woman begging may look pitiful and "break our hearts" but then again, I sob at touching Hollywood movies too.

Another case in point is the fake Buddhist monks and nuns going around for alms. It's been reported so many times yet they still exist, and people still give.

I just encountered a China Mandarin-accented lady standing in front of the MRT station yesterday asking for donations while holding a tin can and wearing a lanyard around her neck(with some sort of identification). And passersby gave without checking or batting an eyelid.

I told my friend with me she was likely a fake. I might be wrong. But it was after 6pm (very rare for donations to be asked at that timing), no where else did we encounter these people (usually we'll see many of them in shopping centres and other MRTs on the same day). And I hate to say this, but I have stereotyped and I'm not afraid to admit it, she sounded foreign.

So be careful. Not that I'm heartless. In fact, I think we should help the needy and poor always. But maybe writing a one time cheque to a large charitable organization would be better.... Or wait... NKF and the Renci Hospital saga came to my mind suddenly.

Oh what the heck, maybe just help our favorite organization or people who we know personally that are genuinely in need. They say Singaporeans are kind-hearted. To be fair, there are kind Singaporeans out there. But many times, I think it's more about our gullibility being manipulated to the fullest.
    Last edited by Priscilia; 18th December 2008 at 10:42 AM.

Deregistered

we are not anything but ignorant.

AMD is not the same as euthanasia. the doctor doesn't help the patient to die. AMD indicates refrain from use of "extraordinary life support systems" when patient is terminally ill (will die sooner or later) or unconscious (may or may not wake up). euthanasia involves the use of drugs that ends the patient's life at a chosen time.

what is the harm done in AMD?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Having encountered things like these, not only by 'sick' and also 'lost' people but supposed 'old and helpless' people whose 'sons have abandoned them' (when in reality it is NOT). I have 3 words of advice for you.

"HARDEN YOUR HEART"

I'm seriously getting a little pissed at people approaching me for money outright telling me a ridiculous sob story. George Bush says this:
    "Fool me once, shame on you. You fool me you can't get fooled again."

May be a bummer on that proverb but it makes some sense.
    Ironic that you had to quote Bush, he has fooled the whole world into believing Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction :-)

HS

Well true...still the sight of him begging sickens me....still thats reality man....never plan ahead....when crisis strike ....he hv to eat it and beg ....

Still i feel people whom sell tissue papers are sickening too.
    excuss me, if one is already struggling for 1 meal a day, how to plan ahead?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    excuss me, if one is already struggling for 1 meal a day, how to plan ahead?
    talk oni mah. those who say it can afford to say to those who din have the stroke of luck in life to rise above.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    I hate to say this but the experience reeks and screams strongly that the guy is a FAKE.

I agree with you 100 percent on that....

There are so many fakes nowadays. Examples

1) Disabled PRC nationals that beg for money at various places.
    In case you all don't know, they belong to a syndicate and are brought here by the organization with an minder and stay in hotels

2) Fake Thai monks and nuns...
    Also syndicate and they are no monks or nuns....

3) Huang Nan case where a young PRC girl was murdered and Singaporeans poured tons of money to her mother and stepfather. The stepfather took the money and went back to China to build a 3 storey mansion in "honour" of his deceased step daughter.... and of course at the same time he enjoy staying there too.... Singaporeans who donated cried foul as stepfather was alleged to have said he will donate money to charity.... oh well he did.. he did say the grand mansion is in his deceased daughter's honor.

4) PRC nationals asking for donations for some charity or another.... Think about it logically, they are PRC means they are here on work permit... u think they so free to help local charity? the are more likely working to pay back the debt they incurred to be send here... hence also fake and the donations are going into their own pockets.

Nothing against PRC but Singaporeans are really idiots and retards when it comes to things like this and Priscilla is right.... don't help your own but when some PRC cry for help. everyone rush to help.... that kind of logic I really cannot understand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123