Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Few days back while eating in Hougang Coffee shop, one chinese man with a folder showing a chinese newspaper write out . He was soliciting for money to cure his cancer... I think he does not look local....anyway the way he pleaded just breaks my heart yet....since i cant read chinese...no way to know if he was telling me the truth... he went to the next table and people gave him like few dollars...damn sad scene....


    Anyone encounter something like that?
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  2. #2

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Very very difficult to tell if it's genuine or not.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Very very difficult to tell if it's genuine or not.
    Well true...still the sight of him begging sickens me....still thats reality man....never plan ahead....when crisis strike ....he hv to eat it and beg ....

    Still i feel people whom sell tissue papers are sickening too.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  4. #4

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Well true...still the sight of him begging sickens me....still thats reality man....never plan ahead....when crisis strike ....he hv to eat it and beg ....

    Still i feel people whom sell tissue papers are sickening too.
    Spare a thought for them, most did not have a proper education and the pay they earn while they were young was just barely enough for hand to mouth. And when they grow old, their children might have abandon them and nobody wants to employ them cos they are old and weak. But at least they still have their pride and dignity to earn a honest living rather then to resort to beg, borrow, steal.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Well true...still the sight of him begging sickens me....still thats reality man....never plan ahead....when crisis strike ....he hv to eat it and beg ....

    Still i feel people whom sell tissue papers are sickening too.
    So you feel that everyone should plan ahead for cancer? You know how big a crisis will hit you ahead of time and at what time? What if he is not smart even to get a good education or get a good job? He came from a broken home where no one wants to help especially since cancer is almost for certain...death. So why waste money on him/her. Not all cancer types are due to careless living like smoking or eating too much rich fried food. A person can be very health and gets it. Do you know how much it cause to cure cancer? We talking a fortune here....6 figure is not out of the question. Medisheild? The initial fees and diagnosic could possibly wiped majority of Singaporean saving out. How many would think they have cancer and took precaution for it? Do you go for regular testing for your health and cancer every year to look out for it?

    Whether this case be real or a con job it not what disturbs me but the mentality of how people go about perceiving things and applying it to their way of viewing circumstance and life .....theirs and others around them. No offense meant by the way. When we are not in that dire condition where the tummy is growling for food or some loved one in the house or in the street is hungry....if having to be thick skinned and be judged by others for selling tissue or cleaning the worst condition toilets in Singapore is the one avenue left to you..what would you do brudder?

    I am sure there are a lot of con artists pulling stunts like this but really.... I am not looking for an answer here. We only need to hear our own answer within ourselves in private to know if we will or not. The rich and fortunate will always be able to prepare for it. How many lower to even middle income have that luxury in any part of the world left alone pricey Singapore?

    There's a tougue in cheek saying.... in Singapore, if we are very sick with something too expensive to cure then better to die straight away then to linger on. Unless you have deep pockets.

    Even if you will not give or help. Have a heart and thank your lucky star your odds are better then his or her. Even if it is a con job, let it serve to remind in some way .."what if"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Few days back while eating in Hougang Coffee shop, one chinese man with a folder showing a chinese newspaper write out . He was soliciting for money to cure his cancer... I think he does not look local....anyway the way he pleaded just breaks my heart yet....since i cant read chinese...no way to know if he was telling me the truth... he went to the next table and people gave him like few dollars...damn sad scene....


    Anyone encounter something like that?
    Having encountered things like these, not only by 'sick' and also 'lost' people but supposed 'old and helpless' people whose 'sons have abandoned them' (when in reality it is NOT). I have 3 words of advice for you.

    "HARDEN YOUR HEART"

    I'm seriously getting a little pissed at people approaching me for money outright telling me a ridiculous sob story. George Bush says this:
    "Fool me once, shame on you. You fool me you can't get fooled again."

    May be a bummer on that proverb but it makes some sense.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    My dad always says... it's cheaper to die.


  8. #8

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnchan View Post
    My dad always says... it's cheaper to die.

    as for me, die die lor....we, human beings, need to die one day. It's just a matter of when, but not how.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Having encountered things like these, not only by 'sick' and also 'lost' people but supposed 'old and helpless' people whose 'sons have abandoned them' (when in reality it is NOT). I have 3 words of advice for you.

    "HARDEN YOUR HEART"

    I'm seriously getting a little pissed at people approaching me for money outright telling me a ridiculous sob story. George Bush says this:
    "Fool me once, shame on you. You fool me you can't get fooled again."

    May be a bummer on that proverb but it makes some sense.
    Do what I do... buy them food or drinks..but never give money. heheh... Usually if you frequent the same place quite a bit some of them who are out to con tend to "hit" that same areas quite often. Would not be hard to spot the real from the unreal. The sad part is there are more con job then the real thing. Harden your heart? No need lah. You just have to outsmart them. They will get what's coming to them one day.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    It's a sad world we live in Sammy, and even sadder when often, sympathy and genuine heart-felt generosity would more likely go out to elaborate and emotional con-jobs than genuine cases.

    OT ahh ... Do you know that your chances of survival if you were to have a heart attack is virtually ZERO here in SG? Because it was mentioned in a survey that NO SINGAPOREAN would step forward to help? And even if some of the rare few really wanted to, they're not prepared to, because everyone pushes social responsibility away ... just call the ambulance LAH! is the usual socially conscious attitude. Want to have a heart attack in the streets and survive? Go to many of the states in the US. There, complete strangers would more likely step forward and administer CPR. (Sorry, I can't recall the ST article on this, but it was in ST that I read it).

    Actuaslly coming to think about it, it's better to have a heart attack on the streets and just ... DIE, instead of decaying looking at the way things are.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    It's a sad world we live in Sammy, and even sadder when often, sympathy and genuine heart-felt generosity would more likely go out to elaborate and emotional con-jobs than genuine cases.

    OT ahh ... Do you know that your chances of survival if you were to have a heart attack is virtually ZERO here in SG? Because it was mentioned in a survey that NO SINGAPOREAN would step forward to help? And even if some of the rare few really wanted to, they're not prepared to, because everyone pushes social responsibility away ... just call the ambulance LAH! is the usual socially conscious attitude. Want to have a heart attack in the streets and survive? Go to many of the states in the US. There, complete strangers would more likely step forward and administer CPR. (Sorry, I can't recall the ST article on this, but it was in ST that I read it).

    Actuaslly coming to think about it, it's better to have a heart attack on the streets and just ... DIE, instead of decaying looking at the way things are.
    Ah..actually I could teach you CPR heheheh.... BTW I cycle around with a pretty good first aid kit and have administrated some aid to people I meet when I ride at east apart from yelling profanity atr those inconsiderate path users who are not injure or injure by me intentionally heheheheheh....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Ah..actually I could teach you CPR heheheh.... BTW I cycle around with a pretty good first aid kit and have administrated some aid to people I meet when I ride at east apart from yelling profanity atr those inconsiderate path users who are not injure or injure by me intentionally heheheheheh....
    Then you're ONE of the super RARE breeds in Singapore Sammy! Are you on the endangered species list?

    Just do a straw poll, and see how many 1) Know CPR, 2) Feel the need to learn in case a situation arises where they can help save a life and 3) actually go mouth to mouth to possibly save a complete stranger's life?

  13. #13
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Actually from what I read sometime back...quite a few of these selling tissue and even some amputees.. quite a few are said to come from across the causeway. Not even locals. But I know for a fact at least one lady who does that at Bugis Village area and unfotunate for her caught staying at Tiong Bahru where I work nearby and eat lunch. Very fit and cheery and definitely have alot of money to spend on food for herself.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Then you're ONE of the super RARE breeds in Singapore Sammy! Are you on the endangered species list?

    Just do a straw poll, and see how many 1) Know CPR, 2) Feel the need to learn in case a situation arises where they can help save a life and 3) actually go mouth to mouth to possibly save a complete stranger's life?
    Actually ...Cub Scout then Scout and then Sea Scout and then Police NS. Sometimes the first Aid is also for me when I wipeout on my ride heheh. SO I have always kept a first aid kit in whatever camping or biking gear I bring on my trips.

    BTW...CPR or mouth to mouth if done wrongly is really a waste of time and you can cause more problem too. And does not always work too. I know. My father still died when I was administrating it to him at home. First and last heart attack. And he knews it. Another thing I learn too. Not only is it expensive for treatment. Funeral ain't cheap either. That's Singapore for ya.

    Anyway getting back to topic..just be more careful and discriminating separating those who are con jobs from the real cases. But then again usually the real cases, too rare will they be so bold in the way they approach most a con job. So far when I often to buy lunch or drinks for them..they usually decline and actually asked for money. When that happen you know the truth. You can let them off or well if no one is looking then you give them a blanket party lor...heheh
    Last edited by sammy888; 16th December 2008 at 01:14 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Actually from what I read sometime back...quite a few of these selling tissue and even some amputees.. quite a few are said to come from across the causeway. Not even locals. But I know for a fact at least one lady who does that at Bugis Village area and unfotunate for her caught staying at Tiong Bahru where I work nearby and eat lunch. Very fit and cheery and definitely have alot of money to spend on food for herself.
    Actually a lot of these 'foreign talents' have gotten organised and syndicated liao. It was busted some time back mah. As for lone rangers, so many cases over the years ... some one once even spotted this 'regular' handicapped beggar one day pack up his wheel chair and get up on his own into a chauffeured Mercedez a few lanes away. Soo many others ... you know WHO I fell bad for? The REALLY GENUINE CASES.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Well true...still the sight of him begging sickens me....still thats reality man....never plan ahead....when crisis strike ....he hv to eat it and beg ....

    Still i feel people whom sell tissue papers are sickening too.
    [mod mode off]

    hmm, your post sickens me too...

    dun stand on the table and think that everyone below you are lower lifeforms.

    if you can't stand it, just move on, no point making a point here to prove them as a point.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    DCA, I'm just wondering ... could it be a matter of 'phrasing'? Mabbie he meant to say that the conditions and circumstances that lead to people having to resort to such means as selling tissue is sickening?

    I find that a lot of times, people actually think and mean one thing, but say it such that it comes out entirely different ... just a thought ah ... please dun wack meeee!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Then you're ONE of the super RARE breeds in Singapore Sammy! Are you on the endangered species list?

    Just do a straw poll, and see how many 1) Know CPR, 2) Feel the need to learn in case a situation arises where they can help save a life and 3) actually go mouth to mouth to possibly save a complete stranger's life?
    1) Yup...
    2) Stopped and help before... no CPR on stranger yet.
    3) Went to pharmacy to look for disposable CPR kit to put in my car, then pharmacist tell me SG dun have, and tell me to just call ambulance instead... he say, who knows, i might get sued instead... suddenly i felt that what i am doing is futile...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    DCA, I'm just wondering ... could it be a matter of 'phrasing'? Mabbie he meant to say that the conditions and circumstances that lead to people having to resort to such means as selling tissue is sickening?

    I find that a lot of times, people actually think and mean one thing, but say it such that it comes out entirely different ... just a thought ah ... please dun wack meeee!!!
    may be the case but if he wishes to avoid miscommunicating his thoughts, the least he could do is clean up that dismal english of his. instead of resorting to a whole load of ... for us to fill in the blanks with.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Man appealing for Fund to help cure his cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    DCA, I'm just wondering ... could it be a matter of 'phrasing'? Mabbie he meant to say that the conditions and circumstances that lead to people having to resort to such means as selling tissue is sickening?

    I find that a lot of times, people actually think and mean one thing, but say it such that it comes out entirely different ... just a thought ah ... please dun wack meeee!!!
    dunno leh, i read it the way it is written... what do you think, just reading it for the 1st time without thinking of the possibility of misinterpretation.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •