Thread: What's so great about DSLRs?

Default Dslr

I prefer shooting with DSLR because of:
    1) faster better AF,
    2) less shutter lag,
    3) camera is more ready for the next shot,
    4) can change the lens
    5) the picture quality is higher.

number 2) is a big factor. Like others have said, having a negligible shutter lag can make the difference between getting the shot, and not getting the shot.
    3) is also helpful when you are shooting something when suddenly something is happening. With most prosumers, you shoot, it records to the CF and you have to wait before you can shoot again. With the DSLR, you shoot, something intersting happens, you press the trigger again, and the camera shoots again. If you have a 1D, you can probably keep shooting until you fill up your CF with only slight pause between shots (I don't have a 1D, but I never encountered the limitation with a 10D, and I assume the 1D is better).

Number 4) itself is not necessarily a huge advantage, except that it leads (contributes) to number 5) The lenses you can buy for your SLR produce much much better photos when you buy the highest quality lenses.

That said, in photography, there are many reasons that ones photos are not award winning ones. Here are some reasons that peoples pics are not terrific:
    1) The camera is not so good, lots of noise, poor shutter-lag response, crappy AF, ...
    2) The lens is not good, colour not reproduced well, vignetting, unable to capture the resolution,
    3) The photographer is not good: doesn't compose the picture well, doesn't make sure the picture is in focus, doesn't choose good shutter speed or aperture or white balance, doesn't press the shutter at the opportune moment, not proper control of the lighting, or the background etc...

If the problem is 3) then making improvements in 1) or 2) is not going to improve the picture quality (or only minimally so). If the problem is 1) or 2) then upgrading the camera to a DSLR can improve the standard of the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Which prosumer cameras can shoot at 4 fps which woudl beat a 3fps of a (lets say) nikon D100?
    Two come to mind instantly, the Minolta D7hi and Fuji S602 can both do 5fps. There are also some compact digicams that can shoot >4fps such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43, and FZ1.
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 14th September 2003 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Two come to mind instantly, the Minolta D7hi and Fuji S602 can both do 5fps. There are also some compact digicams that can shoot >4fps such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43, and FZ1.
    Thanks for the info....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12