Thread: Type of Lens

Default Type of Lens

I'm new to this hobby

Recently, I notice that there are lens which can be connect together. I'm wondering what is the different of getting a wide/ marco lens as compare to getting a zoom lens which can be connected to a wide or macro lens. Hope you all understand what I mean...

Thanks.

Default Re: Type of Lens

Hi lyz77 welcome!

What lens in particular cannot be connected together ? You mean different lenses cannot be mounted onto your camera body ? If you are referring to DSLR, different brands can have different mounts and will not fit. ( short of certain exceptions )

I am not too sure of this statement either :
    I'm wondering what is the different of getting a wide/ marco lens as compare to getting a zoom lens which can be connected to a wide or macro lens

Wide angle lenses are the ones with focal lengths less than approx 50mm. E.g 24mm, 18mm for example.

Macro lenses are the ones that can allow much closer focusing than non macro lenses in achieving more more close up shots.

A zoom lens covers a range of focal lengths stated, and the the field of view can be adjusted from one end of the focal length to the other. E.g a Nikon 18-200mm is a zoom lens.

Ryan

Default Re: Type of Lens

Hi lyz77,

are you refering to macro/wide-angle filters you attach to the front of lenses?

If you are, do note that the image quality of those are a lot poorer than dedicated macro/ wide-angle lenses However, if you find that the pictures they produce are good enough for you, they're definitely a cheaper alternative

Hope this helps