Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Nope, in fact I find Canon & Nikon both produces very decent cameras. Just that I wouldn't write off the other smaller players without giving them a try. I have tried Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Sigma and Olympus so far and looking at trying the Pentax soon. I must say that all the brands produces very good quality cams and not as many people perceived that the smaller players are not up to par with the bigger players. Anyway, since I don't shoot using very high ISO, noise is not an issue to me and I don't really need a fast fps cam, so it doesn't really matter which cam I use. I'm more concern about the ergonomics, build and user friendliness of the cam., so I've used the word personally in my post in case you've missed that.

    Most people will just compare 2 popular models in their questions but when more options are opened up to them they would consider others too, so no harm giving more options unless TS specifically said that he only want a cam between the 2 models he mentioned, right? You wouldn't know, maybe in the end TS might chose something else instead of D90 or 450D.
    i am now still deciding shld i put my money into the D90... as my main concern is its service life.. cos since it is really not tat cheap piece of gadget, how long it shld last when put into 'hibernation' type of storage, as we all know tat if electronics are not use.. it just dont wake up... my F-301 is dead due to 'hibernations', but FM2 metering system is still working.. of cos i am not comparing things here... but then again, i m still considering very hard now shld i get myself a D90 due to the frequency of use... of just continue to make do with my digital point n shot... any views....

  2. #22
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i am now still deciding shld i put my money into the D90... as my main concern is its service life.. cos since it is really not tat cheap piece of gadget, how long it shld last when put into 'hibernation' type of storage, as we all know tat if electronics are not use.. it just dont wake up... my F-301 is dead due to 'hibernations', but FM2 metering system is still working.. of cos i am not comparing things here... but then again, i m still considering very hard now shld i get myself a D90 due to the frequency of use... of just continue to make do with my digital point n shot... any views....
    Maybe you can ask yourself why do you want to get a DSLR first. Is it the quality that you're going after? D90 is a good cam although the price is not cheap otherwise, you can consider other options like the D60 or a 2nd hand D80. I would not recommend that you look at other brands since you already have a FM2 and I presume that you already have a collection of lenses.

    Next, we'll talk about the usage frequency. You can always make time and bring the cam out more often to justify the purchase. There are always outings you can join and it's always good to bring the cam along for family outings or gatherings with friends. You don't have to bring extensive setup, just a body with a walkabout or even a kit lens will suffice. If you really cannot afford the time to go for outings and do not want to splurge on a DSLR, then perhaps you may want to consider getting a prosumer (bridge) cam. There are a lot of 2nd hand ones with very good price available too.

    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Changi, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    If you put it in "hibernation"; you have to store it properly. 40-50 % humidity, remove battery, remove lens etc.

    As for the product working when you turn it on; I doubt you should worry much, my Canon's and Nikon's always turn on after prolonged non-use.

    A simple way of looking at things; D90/450D has been out for like few to several months respectively. The cameras are in inventories and stock for some time but it still powers up the moment you open that box and put in a charged battery. When you buy a camera, it was not made the day before; as such this issue should be the least of your worries.

    If it doesn't, at the very least both these brands provide 15 months warranty.

    To the Thread-starter: Nikon D90 has several advantages over the 450D, but bear in mind if you continue to dabble in photography, your one-off purchase needs more consideration because there are lenses, accessories, external flash etc to consider. My personal opinion; if it is just a one off purchase; go for the D90. D90 body: $1370 450D body: $967. The $400 difference is to a large extent in my opinion justified.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Maybe you can ask yourself why do you want to get a DSLR first. Is it the quality that you're going after? D90 is a good cam although the price is not cheap otherwise, you can consider other options like the D60 or a 2nd hand D80. I would not recommend that you look at other brands since you already have a FM2 and I presume that you already have a collection of lenses.

    Next, we'll talk about the usage frequency. You can always make time and bring the cam out more often to justify the purchase. There are always outings you can join and it's always good to bring the cam along for family outings or gatherings with friends. You don't have to bring extensive setup, just a body with a walkabout or even a kit lens will suffice. If you really cannot afford the time to go for outings and do not want to splurge on a DSLR, then perhaps you may want to consider getting a prosumer (bridge) cam. There are a lot of 2nd hand ones with very good price available too.

    Just my 2 cents worth.
    thks for ur valuable input...

  5. #25
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    thks for ur valuable input...
    You are most welcome bro.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  6. #26

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    first of all, welcome to Clubsnap. I see that this is your first post.
    Both Canon and Nikon sub-forums have a thread with updated prices, so you should be able to find new prices for both 450D and D90 there.
    As for 2nd hand prices, search through the Personal Classified lists for those selling those cameras.
    Don't expect to be spoon-fed with this information hor...
    okay, thanks a lot ZerocoolAstra. i did go and ask around and look around. maybe not hard enough. but thanks with the info of the canon, nikon and personal classified thread. thanks for your guidance.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    One advantage of the 450D over D90, is that it have both contrast & phrase AF in Live View mode.... If Live View is important to you, than a 450D is a cheaper & better choice.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i am now still deciding shld i put my money into the D90... as my main concern is its service life.. cos since it is really not tat cheap piece of gadget, how long it shld last when put into 'hibernation' type of storage, as we all know tat if electronics are not use.. it just dont wake up... my F-301 is dead due to 'hibernations', but FM2 metering system is still working.. of cos i am not comparing things here... but then again, i m still considering very hard now shld i get myself a D90 due to the frequency of use... of just continue to make do with my digital point n shot... any views....
    I get the feeling that you don't intend to use your camera much, if at all. The word 'hibernation' sounds scary, especially when you're talking about camera equipment. How long do you intend to 'hibernate' your equipment? If you're going to do that, why buy a camera in the first place? Might as well save the $ and go on a holiday. Might be $ well-spent that way...
    Exploring! :)

  9. #29
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I get the feeling that you don't intend to use your camera much, if at all. The word 'hibernation' sounds scary, especially when you're talking about camera equipment. How long do you intend to 'hibernate' your equipment? If you're going to do that, why buy a camera in the first place? Might as well save the $ and go on a holiday. Might be $ well-spent that way...
    I remember a quote from the Rockwell's site "You gotta love digital; this stuff drops in price every time I look. "

    Buying something digital that you didn't/seldom use would rarely bring you any benefits...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I get the feeling that you don't intend to use your camera much, if at all. The word 'hibernation' sounds scary, especially when you're talking about camera equipment. How long do you intend to 'hibernate' your equipment? If you're going to do that, why buy a camera in the first place? Might as well save the $ and go on a holiday. Might be $ well-spent that way...
    lol, my FM2 and F-301 went into hibernation mode for easily 6yrs or more... now trying to restore the FM2... keke... just for fun...

    during all these years, i used a nikon cool pix and now a canon powershot...

    i actually came back from a holiday and found tat money was not well spent... so decided to get a camera to compensate instead... lol...

    i really like to own a D90 before CNY... shall monitor the price closely, i prefer to get from harvey norman as i really love their 5yrs warranty... got most of my stuff from them since i got to knw their 5 years warranty...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I remember a quote from the Rockwell's site "You gotta love digital; this stuff drops in price every time I look. "

    Buying something digital that you didn't/seldom use would rarely bring you any benefits...
    i really hope that D90 price will fall before CNY... hee hee...

  12. #32
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i really hope that D90 price will fall before CNY... hee hee...
    Between now and Chinese New Year, I doubt the price of the D90 will fall significantly. Maybe $50? Or they'll throw in a lot of useless "goodies" which you won't need.
    So why bother waiting, if this 'waiting time' can be used to capture shots that might make you happy?
    Like that you might as well wait for the successor to the D90 to come out, then D90 price will DEFINITELY drop. You wanna wait till then?
    Exploring! :)

  13. #33
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Nikon D90 or Canon 450D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Between now and Chinese New Year, I doubt the price of the D90 will fall significantly. Maybe $50? Or they'll throw in a lot of useless "goodies" which you won't need.
    So why bother waiting, if this 'waiting time' can be used to capture shots that might make you happy?
    Like that you might as well wait for the successor to the D90 to come out, then D90 price will DEFINITELY drop. You wanna wait till then?

    Based on the waiting between D80 & D90... it would be a 2 years wait..

    For me... I would wait for a time when I am sure that I would be using it most of the time... or a good deal pop-by one day...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •