Thread: wad does *pro* photographer means ?

Default wad does *pro* photographer means ?

do u classify the uncle at the SIR building earning his living taking passport photos as a professional ?
    Or those doing freelance job once in a blue moon ?
    Does a *Pro* really have to produce out of the world images endorsed by many pp fit to be call a pro ?

juz my thoughts,wad say u ?

Earns his living through photography.

As opposed to expert amatuer, enthusiast...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    Does a *Pro* really have to produce out of the world images endorsed by many pp fit to be call a pro ?
    actually i've seen some full-time "pros" produce only mediocre works, and some enthusiasts produce outstanding works.

something to ponder - sometime going pro might not be a good thing. when you spend too much time doing something, day in day out, producing what clients want and not what you feel is aesthetically good, it tends to kill your "taste" for photography. no more inspiration to produce your own "vision". whereas enthusiasts i find tend to produce more "pure" works, un comtaminated by commercial considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer

Agreed. So the uncle & auntie who holds the camera and shoot you
    is also technically a "PRO."

And just like Larry said, a "PRO" DO NOT have to very GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    actually i've seen some full-time "pros" produce only mediocre works, and some enthusiasts produce outstanding works.

something to ponder - sometime going pro might not be a good thing. when you spend too much time doing something, day in day out, producing what clients want and not what you feel is aesthetically good, it tends to kill your "taste" for photography. no more inspiration to produce your own "vision". whereas enthusiasts i find tend to produce more "pure" works, un comtaminated by commercial considerations.
    i fully agree

i think whether a pro photog is good or not is quite subjective, after all, photography is still widely considered to be an artform. some of you may have seem mediocre works by a pro, but for all you know the client for that pro was very impressed with the same works, and deem him/her to be a true-blue pro. what's the yardstick? it's very much different from say professional sportman, where one is determined to be good or not by the number of goals he/she can score, how fast he/she can run, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    do u classify the uncle at the SIR building earning his living taking passport photos as a professional ?
    Or those doing freelance job once in a blue moon ?

juz my thoughts,wad say u ?
    That guy at SIR is a Pro! Reasons?
    - he earns a living from photograhy
    - he has the right equipment for his job and he knows his equipment
    - he produces results that are accepted by customers

(He took 1 shot and gave you the results! vs the wedding photographers took hundreds of shots and gave only dozens of results.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astin

(He took 1 shot and gave you the results! vs the wedding photographers took hundreds of shots and gave only dozens of results.)

one shot one kill

When people on streets asking me if I am a pro, they mean my equipment looks like PRO.

When people seeing my pictures write me asking if I am a pro, they mean my technique looks like PRO.

When I sweat in doing free shoot for my friends, they joke to me I work like PRO.

So, PRO is all about expensive, excellent, and hard working in general sense. The dream of any amateur photographer is to shoot LIKE a pro. However, these day I have (joyfully) changed my POV on being a pro. I think I enjoy more when shooting for myself, instead of freelance assignments. My humble art works (or whatever u call it) is far more important than earning some money. Here gone away the commercial information on my website. Glad to say I did not let this issue to bother me too much or miss my path. I want to be a professional AMATEUR photographer.

To all pro-wanna-bes: if you have eager to be a pro, by all means go and achieve it, doing your best. Share with others with your excellent images, not your pride of being a professional.
    Last edited by tomshen; 12th September 2003 at 04:39 PM.

Pros let their work speak for them. They do not need to wear a label that says 'Professional Photographer'. And their works are generally well accepted by those who engage their services. Just taking nice pictures doesn't mean you are a pro. There are many aspects to being a pro besides that. There are also many here in CS who have the potential to be pros even if they are not. * at tomshen *

Quote Originally Posted by Astin

If he took more shots, he would have to waste more film and he wouldn't be able to recover his cost from what he charge us! Wedding photogs are paid more and are of course expected to produce better results.

most of them use digital liao la..

I would think along the line of using an athlete to describe a pro

in Singapore, we have some full time athletes, they get paid for being an athlete and that's their job
    whereas elsewhere there are a lot of PRO athletes that set world records or can set world records, are very well known in their fields, and most important get lots of product endorsements. key here is that they would be seen as an expert/guru in their field.

So maybe a Pro photographer is someone that is recognize as an expert in the field of photography.

and also, at least have a few people who are willing to idolize him/her

I would say that a PRO must be very good, as compared to a full time photographer.
    Last edited by pcwe68; 13th September 2003 at 12:29 AM.