Thread: Facial abuse ...

Default Facial abuse ...

Hi there,
    I am shure that this is about to cause a fire directed to me.

Well, it is my opinion and I guess that this is a place to mention it.

I am quite interested to hear any opinion.................

I guess, for time beyond we at present remember; various tribes/clans/nationalities etc, have worn jewels in their nose/ forehead/ ears .... etc

The reasons have dated back so far that most don't remember.

Many are for their religious belief/ nationality/ standing ...etc

I do not nor do I claim to understand all of the reasons for the dress.

I would also like to say that I admire/like to see/would like to understand more about the various adornments.

BUT

What gets up my goat are people that have no beliefs/religious/nationality etc reason, putting studs in their nose....
    Having rings in their nose... rings in their eyebrows etc.

I find, In a country that has no history behind it for having such facial adornment, that people that do this is out of place.

And what will no doubt cause a ban on me for mentioning my views....

I find that here (in Australia) those Australians that do have rings in their eyebrows/nose etc and studs all over their face.....
    were very average or not good looking to start with.

It is like a call, "look at me" because they think that people wouldn't do so otherwise.

P.S. I also have negative views about 4 ply toilet paper if this isn't enough to PM me with abuse
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Default Re: Facial abuse ...

Pablo, it must be a slow day down under

To me, it's whatever tickles their jollies, they can do whatever they want, as long as it does nto impede on others.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Pablo, it must be a slow day down under

To me, it's whatever tickles their jollies, they can do whatever they want, as long as it does nto impede on others.
    Hi DP,

I have become aware of your views regarding peoples rites etc over some time.

Please don't take that as a put off as regards your reply. I admire your views.

Everyone has the right to walk around with an arrow through their head or a face full of studs.

But I find it hard to look at and relate to that person in any normal way.

If I had tattoo's all over my face and spikes protruding from my cheeks and I walked up to you and asked you a question ...

Would you not flinch before answering.

Would your mind not think,"why have you mutilated your face like that".

Would you not think, "that is not a good look".

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi DP,

I have become aware of your views regarding peoples rites etc over some time.

Please don't take that as a put off as regards your reply. I admire your views.

Everyone has the right to walk around with an arrow through their head or a face full of studs.

But I find it hard to look at and relate to that person in any normal way.

If I had tattoo's all over my face and spikes protruding from my cheeks and I walked up to you and asked you a question ...

Would you not flinch before answering.

Would your mind not think,"why have you mutilated your face like that".

Would you not think, "that is not a good look".

Cheers
    Ha

I will have a tough time 1) keeping a straight face 2) communication with and 3) relating to such a person as you have described.

However, I feel, that is MY problem. I need to learn to deal with people whom face I don't enjoy looking at. There are many such people whose face is, oh well, in addition to those who decided to do massive decoration.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Ha

I will have a tough time 1) keeping a straight face 2) communication with and 3) relating to such a person as you have described.

However, I feel, that is MY problem. I need to learn to deal with people whom face I don't enjoy looking at. There are many such people whose face is, oh well, in addition to those who decided to do massive decoration.
    True true true,

My problem is that I cant deal with it.

I don't tell them so, I just move away and hope that someone else will.

Ok... what ever views that gives you about me is .... what ever you feel.

Now, I am talking about ... not good looking and also massisve face mutilation.

Ooooh I am pushing the "my opinion button" quite hard here.

But sometimes I see this beautiful girl approaching me, but when she gets close enough I see she has a nose stud.

It immediately puts me off....

Why ? because 1) it is not her nationality to have one 2) Because it has taken my attention away from her beautiful face.

.................................................. .................................................. .......
    Without giving my age away Toooooo much,

I lived through the hippy years.

I used to have long hair, tie dyed t'shirts, jeans with holes in them.

My parents used to think I looked bad.

But we "back then" never mutilated our bodies or faces.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........

OK, maybe it is the now to have metal all over your face... but if a person is not good looking to start with, why not start with some make up first.

Just my view.

it's a free country.
    everyone got the freedom to express themselves.

u dun have to deal with it.
    why even care in the first place?

it's just like bokeh.
    some like it simple, some like it harsh, some dun like it, some think that its over-rated...
    everyone's got an opinion. but it's your opinion, not others.

Pablo, I can sort of relate as I used to live in Singapore several years ago, lots of young people had all kinds of piercing (facial abuse as you call it), I didn't really have a problem with it but it was sort of ill fitting as most of them were fairly typical Asian youngsters. Maybe that is the problem, being typical and too "ordinary". I didn't see many youngsters in Japan or Korea with facial rings so I guess its not just a worldwide thing. I guess its their way of trying to stand out from the crowd. I have multiple ear piecing myself but don't wear them anymore because I'm too old now.

But you talk of makeup, and that is not easy as there is a proper way to apply makeup and the gawdawful way which is akin to preparing a cake. I'd rather if people don't wear makeup at all.

In Europe however nearly everyone has a tattoo, I mean everyone! Even those Icelandic geeks.

This thread is funny though, Pablo you're not Australian are you?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Well, firstly, beauty is a social notion, and therefore, appreciation of beauty is closely tied to the community.

Most of the tribes that have weird-looking adornments to us, like having spikes, long necks, plates in their mouths, etc. do so for 2 main reasons: 1) it identifies them as being from a certain tribe or group of people in the community. 2) it is beautiful to them, e.g. men from tribe would want to marry girls with these adornments and vice versa. The fact that beauty is a social notion and that by human nature, humans want to marry someone who looks beautiful to them, this ensures that the tribe marries within, and so perpetuates the tribe.

OK, back to people from modern communties that piece their nose, brows, etc., it may not seem very obvious because they are living in the same community as you, but these people are actually part of a sub-community that has aesthetic appreciation of their bodily mutilations. As some people have posted, they find it hard to relate to these people and may even feel uncomfortable with them; this is because they are not from that particular sub-community. If you notice, these people usually hang around people like them. E.g. Tattoo people are likely to hang out with other tattoo people - there is a whole tattoo community and they even have large-scale conventions where they gather and exchange ideas. It is also very natural for these people to form and belong to a sub-community because haveing something different brings them together and leads people outside of the community to ostracise them.

So what's the point of all this? TS, you mentioned that you are able to accept it if people do bodily mutilations for religion, culture, etc. but not people with no such reasons doing these things. Well, these people are doing it for a cultural reason, not any different from that of tribal people. Only that you do not realise they are not from the same mainstream culture as you; they are from a sub-culture! In fact, when someone pierces her nose or brow, she automatically becomes a member of that sub-community... for the reasons mentioned above.

So since you said that you can accept it if they did this for a reason, can you accept it now? I doubt so... It is for the very reason that these people are ostracised from the mainstream community that they naturally form a sub-community. This is how it works.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.