Thread: what macro lens is this?

Default what macro lens is this?

Hi all, I'm very confused with my Tokina 100mm AT-X Macro lens.
    Why my macro lens is with a orange ring? And I cant find this lens info from website instead of I found one which is a Gold ring type. What is the different from mine and the one I found in googles? Is mine a true macro lens?

My macro lens is with Orange ring. And is so much different between these 2. Although both are Tokina Macro lens f/2.8.

From my lens I cant see any text show as
    Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D Macro Lens

Here is what I found from website a Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D Macro Lens . (gold ring)

Default Re: what macro lens is this?

How old is this Tokina macro lens that you have it? It seems to be an old version of the Tokina 100mm macro.
    Nikon D5000 | NikKor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G | SB-400

Quote Originally Posted by zola70 View Post
    How old is this Tokina macro lens that you have it? It seems to be an old version of the Tokina 100mm macro.
    Hi zola70,

This an old version? I bought it few years ago, but how come I cant find any info. regards to this old version lens? All I can get from web are the gold ring type for all tokina lenses, so I was wondering why is different from mine.

Where did you get it from then?
    Honestly yours looks like a manual lens, wonder why it says AF.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Where did you get it from then?
    Honestly yours looks like a manual lens, wonder why it says AF.
    Hi ombre,

hmm.... If I'm not wrong all my old lenses I bought it from CP few years back. Your manual mean if is a Manual lens it will not able to function if camera set to A mode right? But I just tried it works fine with all mode set to auto.

Just now I did try search in web again under "orange ring for tokina" and saw this link in Clubsnap haha I think that is one of the version of Tokina product. But not sure about it regards to extend focusing? And also what is a USM? cant get all this info to read and understand about this lens.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181626

Is this your lense? link 1, link 2

oops, i think gavinting got the first link right
    Last edited by foxtwo; 13th December 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1808 View Post
    Your manual mean if is a Manual lens it will not able to function if camera set to A mode right?
    No. Manual lens means no autofocus. But yours is obviously an AF lens.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 13th December 2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Is this your lense? link 1, link 2

oops, i think gavinting got the first link right
    Hi foxtwo, Thanks for the link! Line 1 should be the same with my lens but only different is the ring colour. But why the speicification is stated as:

100mm telephoto lens | Magnification ratio: 1:2 | AF/M switch | Full & Limit zones | 11 elements in 10 groups | Filter size: 55mm | Hood: SH-554 | Minimum Focusing Distance: 1.1 ft - 0.35m | Aperture range: f/2.8 - f/32 |

Argh~~ so confuse now, so my lens is a macro or telephoto lens? and magnification is 1:2 and not 1:1

I think yours is 1:2 judging by lense build (not ring colour), the Prod-D is 1:1. As for whether it's stated telephoto or macro I wouldn't care so much. When you focus any macro prime to infinity it functions as a telephoto. I have a 200mm macro that I constantly double as a telephoto too. Dun worry so much and shoot some great macros instead.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 13th December 2008 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I think yours is 1:2 judging by lense build (not ring colour), the Prod-D is 1:1. As for whether it's stated telephoto or macro I wouldn't care so much. When you focus any macro prime to infinity it functions as a telephoto. I have a 200mm macro that I constantly double as a telephoto too. Dun worry so much and shoot some great macros instead.
    Thanks foxtwo for your help that link you provided and finally now then I knew that my macro lens is a 1:2

I dont know much about photography and it giving me big headache now... read and read and read also cannot understand...shoot and shoot and shoot also cant get what's in my mind that the picture should come out....I going to sign up the basic course to get more understanding about photography skill. Without the basic skill and understanding, there's no way to improve at all !