Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to Korea, what lenses?

Default Re: Travelling to Korea, what lenses?

Just came back from Korea last week. You would want a focus length from 18-200, so your kit and 70-300 would be ideal. Do take care in cold and heavy snow fall areas, if you are traveling in a tour group, the temperature in the bus is around 26-28 degrees and if you are planning to spend more than 30 minutes out in cold areas (0 to neg 0 degree) with snow fall, make sure you carry a clothes with you and wipe dry all camera contact areas of snow or moisture, make sure they are bone dry before entering the bus.

I had a bad experience of some moisture seeping into my camera (D300 & 18-200 VR), I suspect it is due to the difference rate of expansion and contraction of the camera body and rubber O-ring, thus allowing the moisture to enter the camera. The area I was in Jeju (Crater Mountain) was negative 14 degree with heavy snowfall and strong wind. It would not be a problem in extremely cold areas without snowfall.

Some images from my trip. Have fun and keep warm!

Jeju

Daegu Temple

Hey i've been to this mountain too, but wasn't in winter time, though the temperature's very cool.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Was that Halla mountain?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Should be Seongsan Ilchulbong.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

50mm f1.8
    10-22
    I'm a sucker for wide angle
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

I see, we didn't go there. Took Halla-san instead man what a climb that was :

Busan is a nice little city, I really enjoyed getting away from Seoul :

Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

It is Songsan Sunrise Peak. Too windy, too much snow fall and visibility too bad to proceed further than 200 metre up the trail with my sons. Could feel the cold cutting through my thermal wear, sweater, overcoat and parkas. Without my gloves, camera inside the bus too cold to handle with bare hands.
    Last edited by dankar; 16th December 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dankar View Post
    It is Songsan Sunrise Peak. Too windy, too much snow fall and visibility too bad to proceed further than 200 metre up the trail with my sons. Could feel the cold cutting through my thermal wear, sweater, overcoat and parkas. Without my gloves, camera inside the bus too cold to handle with bare hands.
    When i was there, i took nearly 45mins just to climb to the peak and another 30mins to get down with jelly legs.

I didn't know it was that short. Climbing Halla-san took me 2 hours in total but I stopped midway to take a break, the last hour was difficult. Coming back down was nice though. I'd do it again.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

additional battery is must!
    I just came back from Japan, a 18-200 is the best if you have one..... :-)

Just came back from Korea last week. You would want a focus length from 18-200, so your kit and 70-300 would be ideal. Do take care in cold and heavy snow fall areas, if you are traveling in a tour group, the temperature in the bus is around 26-28 degrees and if you are planning to spend more than 30 minutes out in cold areas (0 to neg 0 degree) with snow fall, make sure you carry a clothes with you and wipe dry all camera contact areas of snow or moisture, make sure they are bone dry before entering the bus.

I had a bad experience of some moisture seeping into my camera (D300 & 18-200 VR), I suspect it is due to the difference rate of expansion and contraction of the camera body and rubber O-ring, thus allowing the moisture to enter the camera. The area I was in Jeju (Crater Mountain) was negative 14 degree with heavy snowfall and strong wind. It would not be a problem in extremely cold areas without snowfall.

Some images from my trip. Have fun and keep warm!

Jeju

Daegu Temple
    And Heres mine =)

C&C is welcomed =) just some unedited noobish shots =)

OMG! i was at jeju too and i didnt get to see snow.. my family didnt want to go abit later due to my cousin's School tour i think...

btw did u get the wu wei zi? the 5 flavor stuff and honey?

heres my shot in Jeju With out SNOW.

OOpps Back to topic.

Bro u need to charge ur batts(all other batts and REMEMBER TO BRING CHARGER) everyday .. once u reach the hotel to end the day.
    day1 : use A then charge at nite
    day2 : use B then charge at nite
    day3 : use A then charge at nite
    day4 : use B then charge at nite
    Get wad i mean ?

i would suggest to bring

10-22(bad thing is the distortion at close range; i used this first half the trip and was fine with it)
    18-55 kit (if you mind the 10-22's distortion. but i brought 17-55 thou; Used it for the 2nd half of the trip equally fantastic)
    and one tele zoom(i only use this in the theme parks and spying on the making of some Korean MTV)
    and flash!

Can Drop the prime =) unless you care planning on local portraits =) or u can be like me.. the nifty fifty is just so light HECK .. give it a holiday too ! so i brought 10-22 17-55 55-250 50 + 430II =) some load! thou abit regretted bringing so much .. but rather carry the weight than regretting not bringing enough! EG . like when i left my 55-250 in the room.. thinking i was just going for a short OTOT sightseeing (Own time Own Target Walk).. den i missed out on alot of shots EG When i had not enough reach to do some closeup panning shots of snowboarders so, only could get them small =X below is the shot..

And Below is the reason WHY FLASH IS NEEDED!

Personally, below are some of my experience
    -i used up 2x4gb of SD card. (go figure out) =)

-if u are going with a tour group.. you wont have time to change lens very often.. =(

-i'm not sure why at -5deg my Flash just wouldnt fire off! (got to ask the pros)

-Know where you asre going and what to equip =)

-Keep Warm(i've had times i left my gloves in the room. and had my fingers having "ant bite sensation" aka pins and needles when i had to expose my hands to the cold)

-ENJOY THE TRIP =)

-Could you pls pack me in a box and bring me along? i need to get some more stuff and I MISS KOREA!
    Last edited by Filbertoh; 17th December 2008 at 01:05 PM.

1 more issue.....there are day you may need to used up both battery! Specially when u use a lot of flash that day.

1 of my day during my Japan trip, it was a raining day, very dark so lot of flash used. 1st battery finished by noon time. Also take note in Winter, the sun set at around 4-5pm (in Osaka).

Happy shooting! Most importantly enjoy your company (if you are going with your BF/GF/KIDS) :-)

A differences of 5 days and you would have seen snow in copious amount. Brought up all 4 flavour chocolates.

Jeju Orchard

Street Performance in Seoul

Rural back road 10 minutes from Incheon International Airport

Haha...missing the times in Korea.

Maybe I should post my Korean photos to relive those memories? ;-)
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Maybe I should post my Korean photos to relive those memories? ;-)
    I have my own too, over 1600 of them within 8 days

Jeju
    Hope i can see such scene..never seen real snow before....cant wait for my trip to come..
    I will be bringing 2 cameras for my trip....one for myself ,one for my Gf.
    OLympus EP3 17mm..

Quote Originally Posted by jlpk007 View Post
    Hope i can see such scene..never seen real snow before....cant wait for my trip to come..
    I will be bringing 2 cameras for my trip....one for myself ,one for my Gf.
    well my fren .. if its during Xmas .. 90% chance u will see snow =)
    well snow is early this yr =) well i think its due to the climate change =)
    Enjoy the trip =) where r u going btw?

Smile Re: Travelling to Korea, what lenses?

From now till the end of winter, you should be able to see some snow. Remember to keep warm and take into consideration wind chill factor. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I have my own too, over 1600 of them within 8 days
    Wow did you leave your camera on continuous mode overnight? :-)

I don't think I shot over 1000 the whole time I lived there.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast