Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: virus spreading throught msn messaging...

Default Re: virus spreading throught msn messaging...

i think the virus also deleted all my contacts from MSN... bloody hell!!!
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

these MSN viruses are dangerous.

one of them, i cant recall is a tough virus. you simply cant get rid of it. i encountered it before. used kaspersky AV . didnt work. used norton, didnt work. used trend micro didnt work.

used all the spyware tools, detect it but unable to remove it.

end up a reformat and its gone.

be careful. a safe way to accept files on MSN , is to ask a person did you just send me a link/file for me to accept > if yes what kind of file isit.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    hey, there is virus spreading around in MSN messaging, it will appeared as a window pop out of nowhere from an existing contact who is offline and it will suggest u to click on website link to see some photos.

remember please do not click on the website link, just close the window at top left corner.

tha'ts what hit me in my old lappy till it is pretty dedd

Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    My friend told me that this problem is easily solved once you change your msn password.

It seems to be working for now. My zombie msn no longer spams other people. Just dont repeat the mistake of clicking links again.
    Indeed, its not your physical terminal sending out these messages. If you're infected, you've probably fallen prey to some phishing site. Usually under disguise with some catchy taglines like "See who has a crush on you" or "See who had you blocked on MSN". They'll require you to enter your hotmail account ID and password to get it to work. Once you do that, you're unknowingly providing them access to your MSN account.

They'll make use of "bots" to impersonate you on MSN using your account, sending out messages to soliciting more of those on your contact list to that site. Thats the concept behind how the "virus" spreads. By changing your password, you're removing this access from them. The designers of these phishing site have been deemed to be rather "kind" in a sense they don't "takeover" your account by changing your password. This is not their purpose though, there are various agendas.

Other viruses/malware circulating around the internet is Vundo and variants of it, those are difficult to remove but removal is still possible. Dun underestimate the destructive power of "trojan downloaders", they can unleash a whole load of trojan crap on your system, it gets worst day by day. If you receive files from legitimate contacts on your list, do reply to them to authenticate the message. Check if they really did send you something. I've got VMWare installed on a seperate system, so i'd usually run suspicious applications on that system. If its malicious, i'd simply shut the virtual machine down and do a clean start.

However smart our anti-virus/security systems are, humans are still the weakest link. Do be cautious online
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 26th December 2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    these MSN viruses are dangerous.

one of them, i cant recall is a tough virus. you simply cant get rid of it. i encountered it before. used kaspersky AV . didnt work. used norton, didnt work. used trend micro didnt work.

used all the spyware tools, detect it but unable to remove it.

end up a reformat and its gone.

be careful. a safe way to accept files on MSN , is to ask a person did you just send me a link/file for me to accept > if yes what kind of file isit.
    This is probably Vundo or variants of it. Do PM me for details on the removal procedure. Various methods for different variants, simply too tough to post a "one procedure suits all" kinda solution.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

this isn't a virus problem at least not entirely. your contact messaging u the link offline means their profile has been hacked. a change to a more secure pw will take care of that problem. clickin that link is what gives u a virus...fyi people close the security hole u have by disabling auto log in when msn starts up.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12