Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If your computer slows down significantly, how to check what is the culprit?

Default Re: If your computer slows down significantly, how to check what is the culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    It is firefox mozilla! Taking up 50% of the CPU... but this is the one program that I can't terminate cos I am using it!!! And it is also the program that is running slowly... lagging and freezing here and there.
    What is the problem with this mozilla? I am using the latest version. The earlier versions gave me no such problems... wonder why the new versions suck now.
    Anyone else having problems with the new mozilla? How much CPU does your mozilla take up?
    What Mozilla Plug-In are you using? Some of the free plug-in freebie functions can bog your system resources down especially those that constantly looking for updates on other sites to "pull the data" to your system and some plug-in can be buggy too. Have your try IE7..etc.?

Default Re: If your computer slows down significantly, how to check what is the culprit?

Always run to SAFE MODE and see whether it runs faster. If it does, then some apps/services is running that is slowing your computer down.
    For example I had a client who uses NOKIA COMMUNICATOR (it really drains the processor from even thinking properly)
    Else, maybe it's the startup applications that is causing your system to temp slow down.
    If you are using a branded PC for example IBM / HP they normally load tons of bundled software which can slow down the system also.
    Else SWITCH TO LINUX / MAC! haha

Btw, Firefox does run a whopping 78% on CPU initial when you launch the application because it's loading all the base
    dll and stuff. but then it should go back down to minimal. The only portion which would increase if you never close
    your firefox for days would be the memory portion only because it's constantly building a cache of the site you are in
    and had surfed. Lack of physically memory could also impact on your system experience.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    From the looks of it, did you try IE7 ? same issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    What Mozilla Plug-In are you using? Some of the free plug-in freebie functions can bog your system resources down especially those that constantly looking for updates on other sites to "pull the data" to your system and some plug-in can be buggy too. Have your try IE7..etc.?
    Yahhh.... IE7 also slow...
    Plug-in? U mean like Java, those?

Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Btw, Firefox does run a whopping 78% on CPU initial when you launch the application because it's loading all the base
    dll and stuff. but then it should go back down to minimal. The only portion which would increase if you never close
    your firefox for days would be the memory portion only because it's constantly building a cache of the site you are in
    and had surfed. Lack of physically memory could also impact on your system experience.
    I think you have nailed it.
    Yes, I didn't close my browser for days and I surf internet like 12 hours a day!
    So maybe becos it is taking up too much memory, that's why it lags?
    But this is really bad leh... Using the previous version... even never close for weeks also not half this bad. If it continues to suck like this, I think I will just uninstall and install previous version.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Yahhh.... IE7 also slow...
    Plug-in? U mean like Java, those?
    Yup.... some of them run live updates to keep getting new data to your browser. The constant updating will preocupied some or a lot of your CPU and RAM resources...depending on what type of plugin.

WR - I personally have no problems with the latest version of FF with 256MB RAM.

You indicate that FF is slow responding and there are intermittent interruptions. I've had this watching an RPC virus jump onto the machine from an infected network/server.

What about when you run other programs without running FF first? Do they have the same behaviour?
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

p.s. you might like to try google chrome. It's pretty light weight and fast. However is unable to browse all sites well. E.g. hotmail looks weird in it!
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

uninstall unwanted programs.
    also check the start up programs
    D90|Sigma 24-70|Sigma 70-300
    visit my flickr sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29507514@N03/sets/

I format the hardisk once every 6 months and do defragmnentation once every 2 months.

Anotherway is run msconfig and disabled any problems u rarely use, so that the startup will be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by StarAlliance View Post
    I format the hardisk once every 6 months and do defragmnentation once every 2 months.
    ...but rebuild is a bore even with a ghost build.

Try using VM Ware. So you can keep yr base build and have virtual machines instead. If you get a screw up on it, easy to blow apart without having to blow apart the whole machine and add back in. Will save you loads of time.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 22nd December 2008 at 12:29 AM.

Might be a possibility of Malware. Try scanning with Spybots S&D, Spyware Doctor (Works pretty well for Vundo variants), Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and your usual Anti-virus. You'd be surprised how different scanners would unravel different "creepy crawlers" residing in your system.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Yup.... some of them run live updates to keep getting new data to your browser. The constant updating will preocupied some or a lot of your CPU and RAM resources...depending on what type of plugin.
    Any way to turn off these live updates?
    The plug-ins I'm using are Java, Flash, etc.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by StarAlliance View Post

Anotherway is run msconfig and disabled any problems u rarely use, so that the startup will be faster.
    Wah you powderful sia, if I were to format my com every 6 mths I would die from re-installing all the stupid microsoft updates etc. Normally I would choose a stance "if no need to use, dun install, if dunno what is it dun install, if you think it's a virus dun install, if you dun have Anti-virus and firewall installed then better dun install anything first / go internet"

Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Wah you powderful sia, if I were to format my com every 6 mths I would die from re-installing all the stupid microsoft updates etc. Normally I would choose a stance "if no need to use, dun install, if dunno what is it dun install, if you think it's a virus dun install, if you dun have Anti-virus and firewall installed then better dun install anything first / go internet"
    well, some ppl dun really configure their OS that much...

mine still primary a XP 32bit and upgraded so many times that i can't remember whats installed inside... from ATI to NVidia and back to ATI... from Creative to onboard sound and all sorts, different mobo chipsets, different hdd controllers...

Still, never reinstall XP... lol... and do cloning onto new disc...

Like you... just know what you install, most important... and know what to delete...

Google is my best friend... and common sense is my guide.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12