Thread: After a day's work

Default After a day's work

Okay so this is my first post in the critique corner, so please bear with me Here's what I've got:

So I was cycling at Pulau Ubin and stopped by the coast for a breather. Noticed this group of foreign workers walking towards the end of the jetty for a break. At the same time, planes were taking off and landing every now and then. Pretty sure in their minds, they must really miss home, especially when they see the planes. Snapped this when the SIA plan was landing.

To be honest, the original was s*it. I was quite far away and there wasn't much detail left after cropping. Also the weather wasn't very nice so colours were not spectacular either. Decided to give it a bit of vintage processing. Also added vignetting for effect.

Any comments would be nice =D My first post and would look forward to posting more

Default Re: After a day's work

something about your photo brings out this sense of loneliness in me. i love it.

but i wont be able to get your long elaborate story of the foreign workers because i cant tell that they are foreign workers. but like how some people in the airplane, when they reach the airport they're 'home', i guess the people in the photo, when they reach end of the jetty, they get to contemplate and find the 'home' in them.

BLAH. long elaborate interpretation of mine, but bottom line, i love this pic.

I pretty much like your shot. It's very simple and neat.
    About the going home, hmm, it seems where they are heading to is ... nothing. I can see the end of the jetty. Don't get the feeling of 'the end'.
    The grains in your shot works too, but I am unable to express why.

Quote Originally Posted by pfurr View Post
    something about your photo brings out this sense of loneliness in me. i love it.

but i wont be able to get your long elaborate story of the foreign workers because i cant tell that they are foreign workers. but like how some people in the airplane, when they reach the airport they're 'home', i guess the people in the photo, when they reach end of the jetty, they get to contemplate and find the 'home' in them.

BLAH. long elaborate interpretation of mine, but bottom line, i love this pic.
    Glad to know you like the pic bro =D Actually I din really mean to add that paragraph i wrote as a story (must there always be a story? ) only meant to describe why i took it hmm.... but i like ur interpretation! reach the end of jetty will find home haha

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    I pretty much like your shot. It's very simple and neat.
    About the going home, hmm, it seems where they are heading to is ... nothing. I can see the end of the jetty. Don't get the feeling of 'the end'.
    The grains in your shot works too, but I am unable to express why.
    hmmmm actually I din really mean to convey anything about the end of the jetty, think they just going there to slack and chill off haha Actually i added the grain coz the sharpness of the pic is lacking abit... and realized the effect actually opens up a different mood. so no complaints from me haha

Anymore comments are definitely welcomed!!

My first thoughts upon looking at the photo is that is pretty dramatic.

My suggestions (some not immediately within the control of the photographer) on how it could be made stronger.

1) Capture the scene when there is only one person on the jetty, perferably looking up at the planes.

2) Change the angle of the shot slightly, right now, the people looks like they are walking on the horizon, I am not sure if thats your intention, but it looks rather weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    My first thoughts upon looking at the photo is that is pretty dramatic.

My suggestions (some not immediately within the control of the photographer) on how it could be made stronger.

1) Capture the scene when there is only one person on the jetty, perferably looking up at the planes.

2) Change the angle of the shot slightly, right now, the people looks like they are walking on the horizon, I am not sure if thats your intention, but it looks rather weird to me.
    Hey bro thanks for suggestion. Haha point 1 is kinda out of my control i guess, if waited till left 1, all would be gone

Point 2: definitely not my intention! the thingy they walking on is a shade of light brown colour, on the original pic can see, but after treatment it looks like they're walking on nothing haha. not sure how i could improve that tho...

I really liked the pp ! The colour tone is really to the taste and I feel it really brings out the moody feel in your picture

Quote Originally Posted by afrodizziact View Post
    I really liked the pp ! The colour tone is really to the taste and I feel it really brings out the moody feel in your picture
    hey thanks bro

your picture tells 1000 words,i m a foreign worker also really like your production

suggestion;
    1- to have the jetty slightly above the horizon, altho i know its a jetty, but having it aligned with the horizon looks kinda awkward to me la.
    2- will there be any significant changes to the story / mood / picture if the plane is already on the top right, while the walking ppl still on the left?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

The title doesn't suit the photo. Because to me, it looks like they were on their way to do some fishing. (That's before I read your writeup)

For the photo itself, I like the mood. Nice PP work!
    Nikon D80 - 18-55mm
    Flickr | DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by CFM56-7B View Post
    your picture tells 1000 words,i m a foreign worker also really like your production
    thanks bro
    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    suggestion;
    1- to have the jetty slightly above the horizon, altho i know its a jetty, but having it aligned with the horizon looks kinda awkward to me la.
    2- will there be any significant changes to the story / mood / picture if the plane is already on the top right, while the walking ppl still on the left?
    thanks for comments Actually the original version, it's very obvious the jetty is there, but after the PP the color of the jetty is washed out, so can't really tell. but definitely something to improve on. As for putting the plane on the right, i actually do have that shot, but it looks awkward as compared to the plane on the left. Thanks for comments anyways!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyred View Post
    The title doesn't suit the photo. Because to me, it looks like they were on their way to do some fishing. (That's before I read your writeup)

For the photo itself, I like the mood. Nice PP work!
    Thanks bro! I think I should have just left it title-less and do away with the write-up. Leave everything to the imagination of the viewer. in the original it's quite obvious they are workers coz they're wearing helmets and boots phua chu kang style haha. Thanks for the comments

Fact that you've tried many shots on this, and posted up the best you thought; and winning it, deserves a pat on the back. Congratulations!
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

thanks cheguthamrin! =D

i thought either a 4x3 tight crop , or a even more panoramic crop would better this.

it is a nice shot. my only quarrel is with the resultant colors. just plain sepia after conversion to b&w would be good here.. now it looks a wee bit too.. grimy for me.

I like the tension that pulls u in btw the aeroplane and the workers.

but somehow, i feel that without the aeroplane, you will completely focus on the workers, and then the workers will really stand out. However, this will be gonig against the theme of your photo, i guess.

Just my 2 cents, i wonder if anyone feels the same as i do. and i personally feel that the vignetting was overdone.. just abit too much for me.

i like this shot, composition is simple and the tones are lovely. the impact is straightforward.. in face the tones i feel, gave the shot a better impact.

another option is to do a 'square' crop to include the plane and the walking humans only.. that may serve to enlarge them a lil more ,and emphasize the contrast in means of transportation... i suppose a very much different feel than what you have here

tat's nice. can somehow get the 'feel' from the image

This picture got feeling! is alive!