Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: First Shots On My First DSLR

  1. #1

    Default First Shots On My First DSLR

    Hi fellow dudes, this is my first time using a DSLR, as well as my first time shooting on Manual mode, playing with the aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings. My previous camera was a PnS. Hope all of you will give me some advices on how to get better shots.

    Lens used is the Nikon 18-105mm kit lens. No tripod and flash is used. Below are the pictures with the various settings.

    1/5s f/8 ISO800


    1/5s f/4.8 ISO400


    1/5s f/3.5 ISO200


    1/5s f/3.5 ISO400 (with flash)


    1/2s f/8 ISO400

  2. #2

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Your advices are greatly appreciated.

    1/5s f/8 ISO400


    1/5s f/8 ISO800


    1/5s f/8 ISO800


    1/5s f/8 ISO800


    1/5s f/8 ISO800

  3. #3

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Beautify shots, especially for first shots...

  4. #4

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by jtchoy View Post
    Beautify shots, especially for first shots...
    Thanx for the comments. I was playing with alot of different settings on the same shots. Still have to learn alot of things, guess the only way to learn is to Shoot and Shoot and Shoot.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Hope all of you will give me some advices on how to get better shots.
    Go get yourself a tripod.

  6. #6

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Go get yourself a tripod.
    I do have a Nikon tripod as a freebie but did not have it with me during the point of shooting, as my camera is with me most of the time but not the tripod. I know having a tripod will greatly improve the images quality. How bout my shutter/aperture/ISO settings? Are they alright?

  7. #7
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Longer shutter speed, and smaller aperture would help

  8. #8

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Generally the shots looks kinda dark in my opinion. Night scenes normally looks better when u do long exposure. Try that first Get a tripod please
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  9. #9

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Longer shutter speed, and smaller aperture would help
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Generally the shots looks kinda dark in my opinion. Night scenes normally looks better when u do long exposure. Try that first Get a tripod please
    Shots look dark due to fairly fast shutter and no flash used. Tried setting my shutter speed to a longer time but cannot make it due to hand shake although VR was on. Guess the solution is either a tripod or a super duper pair of steady arms. I will bring my tripod along for my next night shots to test out. So normally for night shots what settings are you guys using? How long you guys set your shutter speed and the aperture size?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    I do have a Nikon tripod as a freebie but did not have it with me during the point of shooting, as my camera is with me most of the time but not the tripod. I know having a tripod will greatly improve the images quality. How bout my shutter/aperture/ISO settings? Are they alright?
    If you don't use a tripod, then there's not much to talk about regarding your settings.

  11. #11

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If you don't use a tripod, then there's not much to talk about regarding your settings.
    Will surely bring along my tripod for my next shooting.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bedok North
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    I do have a Nikon tripod as a freebie but did not have it with me during the point of shooting, as my camera is with me most of the time but not the tripod. I know having a tripod will greatly improve the images quality. How bout my shutter/aperture/ISO settings? Are they alright?
    Hi,
    don't put too much trust on the freebie tripods, cos my cam fell from one of those Nikon freebie tripod my pal got, and you wouldn't want yr cam to go for repairs mate..

    lesson learnt: get a proper tripod n dun scrimp on the budget, u wouldn;t want to save on yr tripod and end up paying so much more on repairs

    agree with the other guys, night shots are better with longer exposure!

    take care,
    chris

  13. #13

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Shots look dark due to fairly fast shutter and no flash used.

    not correct.

    shots look dark cus

    1) they are shot too late. try shooting at dusk, jus after the sun sets
    2) shots are underexposed (yours is quite well exposed).
    3) flash are normally not used in nite landscape. no flash can illuminate the landscape. unless its a foreground interest tat u intend to lightup.

    shutter speed becomes more flexible after mounting on a tripod. tink the longest shutter on your DSLR is 30 sec. if u ve a cable release, can lock it and expose even longer. but i find it hard to get longer than 30sec exposure w/o excessive stoppin down (which i try to avoid).

  14. #14

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Another point is that using tripod will allow you to use lower ISO, which will enable the colour to be more saturated and lesser noise .

    A general rule is to use the lowest ISO you can get for static scenery pictures
    5D / 450D /16-35L F4 IS USM 35F2/ 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS/100mm 2.8 usm macro/ 50 1.8 / EX 430 II

  15. #15

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbecks86 View Post
    Hi,
    don't put too much trust on the freebie tripods, cos my cam fell from one of those Nikon freebie tripod my pal got, and you wouldn't want yr cam to go for repairs mate..

    lesson learnt: get a proper tripod n dun scrimp on the budget, u wouldn;t want to save on yr tripod and end up paying so much more on repairs

    agree with the other guys, night shots are better with longer exposure!

    take care,
    chris
    OMG! You mean your cam just fell out or the tripod leg broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    not correct.

    shots look dark cus

    1) they are shot too late. try shooting at dusk, jus after the sun sets
    2) shots are underexposed (yours is quite well exposed).
    3) flash are normally not used in nite landscape. no flash can illuminate the landscape. unless its a foreground interest tat u intend to lightup.

    shutter speed becomes more flexible after mounting on a tripod. tink the longest shutter on your DSLR is 30 sec. if u ve a cable release, can lock it and expose even longer. but i find it hard to get longer than 30sec exposure w/o excessive stoppin down (which i try to avoid).
    Thanx for the advice, will take that into account.

    Quote Originally Posted by YqArts View Post
    Another point is that using tripod will allow you to use lower ISO, which will enable the colour to be more saturated and lesser noise .

    A general rule is to use the lowest ISO you can get for static scenery pictures
    Thanx for the advice too.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Hey yea I was accomplice that the TRIPOD caused the camera that came tumbling down. Very hard lesson learnt with Chris haha Sorry mate! Die die must get a heavier Tripod to support the Camera weight...

  17. #17

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    lol i know where you go just now. marina barracks right?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Can't yet see the images as my internet is reeeeeaally slow, but I also shoot without a tripod except for my recent trips when I need to shoot pictures of stars and bridges. I was shooting at most 3 seconds handheld and getting away with it though a tripod would make things a lot less challenging. I used my camera pretty much like a PnS so had to be creative with taking slow shots like resting the camera close to my body, holding down the capture button after taking a shot and being incredibly still.

    Here are a couple of samples of handheld night shots :





    and here's the difference with a tripod :





    So now I'm looking for a good strong but light tripod that small enough to pack away rather than the bazooka of a tripod I borrowed from a friend.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  19. #19

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by CatByTe View Post
    Hey yea I was accomplice that the TRIPOD caused the camera that came tumbling down. Very hard lesson learnt with Chris haha Sorry mate! Die die must get a heavier Tripod to support the Camera weight...
    Then what's the damages to the camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkbyte View Post
    lol i know where you go just now. marina barracks right?
    Spot on. Marina Barracks and Esplanade.

  20. #20

    Default Re: First Shots On My First DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Can't yet see the images as my internet is reeeeeaally slow, but I also shoot without a tripod except for my recent trips when I need to shoot pictures of stars and bridges. I was shooting at most 3 seconds handheld and getting away with it though a tripod would make things a lot less challenging. I used my camera pretty much like a PnS so had to be creative with taking slow shots like resting the camera close to my body, holding down the capture button after taking a shot and being incredibly still.

    Here are a couple of samples of handheld night shots :





    and here's the difference with a tripod :





    So now I'm looking for a good strong but light tripod that small enough to pack away rather than the bazooka of a tripod I borrowed from a friend.
    Some really nice shots you got there, especially the sky full of stars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •