Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

  1. #1

    Default buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    hello guys,

    i'm currently holding a sony A200 myself.

    and my friend is looking to get a DSLR too.

    his budget is around 1.1-1.5k

    he is choosing between nikon and Canon.

    canon 400d
    canon 450d
    canon 1000d

    Nikon D60
    Nikon D70
    Nikon D80

    i didn't introduce him Sony because i think nikon or canon will be a better idea.

    thanks alot!
    Last edited by stasystylez; 12th December 2008 at 06:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Member tanandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    548

    Wink Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    his budget is around 1.1-1.5k 450D,1000D or D70 i think can get these few
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

  3. #3

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    if thats the only budget, can consider K200D



    got free short range and long range lens + dry box.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    wow good i need to survey dslr too hehe

  5. #5

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Probably will recommend a a700, just a bit above budget and better than all the others in the list , better viewfinder , good high iso performance. But if he wants a camera with the best dynamic range , almost 9.1 stops , he should get the a350 , got live view also.

  6. #6
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Probably will recommend a a700, just a bit above budget and better than all the others in the list , better viewfinder , good high iso performance. But if he wants a camera with the best dynamic range , almost 9.1 stops , he should get the a350 , got live view also.
    how much do they cost?

  7. #7

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    how much do they cost?
    the a350 body is $1099, a700 is 1.5k odd body , can't remember. Of course if weatherproofing is your thing , then look no further than a olympus. All brands have their strengths. Try all the camera , see which one you like best in handling etc.

  8. #8

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    how much do they cost?
    as someone said, you are not buying a DSLR but an entire system. Calculate how much the whole system including lens especially telephoto and maybe external flash as well as memory cards will cost you altogether.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  9. #9
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    i heard folks say the Nikon beats Canon wen it comes to dSLR but their compacts and prosumer lose out greatly to Canon...kinda agree....but i stil prefer stikin to the Sony 'a' models though...... savin for A900...actually dreaming for it.
    IF

  10. #10

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by emirates View Post
    i heard folks say the Nikon beats Canon wen it comes to dSLR but their compacts and prosumer lose out greatly to Canon...kinda agree....but i stil prefer stikin to the Sony 'a' models though...... savin for A900...actually dreaming for it.
    Adolph Hitler may be getting an A900 also unless the D3x drop price..

    what beats what depends on the application and skill of the photographer using the equipment. An example, very good lens on old body is good idea. Low end lens on new body not so good idea.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  11. #11

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    hello guys,

    ot a bit, what brand of toilet paper should my friend buy? i have heard a lot about CUTIE brand, his budget is $2 to $4. i think best not to buy kleenex.. although i use it myself.





    jokes aside, your friend should buy whatever he likes the feel of. all cameras on the market these days are at the very least, decent.

  12. #12
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Adolph Hitler may be getting an A900 also unless the D3x drop price..

    what beats what depends on the application and skill of the photographer using the equipment. An example, very good lens on old body is good idea. Low end lens on new body not so good idea.
    yup u gotta point in the end it does heavily depend on the photographer...anyhow the A900 AND D3x is way above the 1-1.5k budget we're suppose to b talkin about...stil think should stick to the 'a' series though. BTW i dunno bout Adolf Hitler...wat he woulda have done...tooo late now.joke
    IF

  13. #13

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Well between the 3 canon models, i would recommend 450D as the specs are the best. Comparing 450D and 1000D, its 9 pt AF vs 7 pt AF, 3" LCD vs 2.5" LCD, 12.2 megapixel vs 10.1 megapixel.

    Sum it up, it makes 450D look like an upgraded version of 1000D.

  14. #14

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by lioneldude View Post
    Well between the 3 canon models, i would recommend 450D as the specs are the best. Comparing 450D and 1000D, its 9 pt AF vs 7 pt AF, 3" LCD vs 2.5" LCD, 12.2 megapixel vs 10.1 megapixel.

    Sum it up, it makes 450D look like an upgraded version of 1000D.
    how about 5d mark II?

    the specs even better. makes 5d mark II look like upgraded version of 450d

    450d costs more, of course it will have more features.

  15. #15

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by emirates View Post
    yup u gotta point in the end it does heavily depend on the photographer...anyhow the A900 AND D3x is way above the 1-1.5k budget we're suppose to b talkin about...stil think should stick to the 'a' series though. BTW i dunno bout Adolf Hitler...wat he woulda have done...tooo late now.joke
    its never too late...supposedly historical reproductions have reached youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0

    If your friend is really serious and 1.5k is the max budget...should really look at Fuji S5 Pro which is based on Nikon D200.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...ifilms5pro.asp

    I think the most important is whether Liveview is needed?
    Last edited by Reportage; 13th December 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    also consider some of the other minor things that might not make the difference but If you get it , it will annoy the crap out of you. For example, I dont really like the digital sound of the 450d. After some thinking, I realised that If i got it, I would have a good camera, but I would be annoy at it everytime I took a shot . So I decided to get something else.

    I'm not saying the digital sound is not good. I'm just saying that I dont really like it and I feel that such small things, though small, might make a difference in getting a cam

    just my 2 cents

  17. #17

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how about 5d mark II?

    the specs even better. makes 5d mark II look like upgraded version of 450d

    450d costs more, of course it will have more features.
    If you have the budget for 5d mark II and a passion to last the cost of the camera yup might as well go for the max. But the 5d mark II has the black spot issue.

  18. #18
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: buying a dslr camera need recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    its never too late...supposedly historical reproductions have reached youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0

    If your friend is really serious and 1.5k is the max budget...should really look at Fuji S5 Pro which is based on Nikon D200.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...ifilms5pro.asp

    I think the most important is whether Liveview is needed?
    ha ha..thanks for the link..wat a joke! stalin stuck to film and hitler wen digital!
    IF

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •