Thread: B&W Film recommendations

Default B&W Film recommendations

Hi!
    Going to a pub (part of itinerary ) so wanna take some mood shots with B&W film, thing is, i never tried it before.

Would appreciate brand recommendations. I will most probably be using a prime 50mm, 400 iso or thereabouts; I want the grain. Will not use the flash. Dun wanna attract attention.

Also, filters for B&W? I just acquired an 80B filter today (tungsten correction), can it be used for improving contrast in B&W? Thanks!

Regards,
    Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    Hi!
    Going to a pub (part of itinerary ) so wanna take some mood shots with B&W film, thing is, i never tried it before.

Would appreciate brand recommendations. I will most probably be using a prime 50mm, 400 iso or thereabouts; I want the grain. Will not use the flash. Dun wanna attract attention.

Also, filters for B&W? I just acquired an 80B filter today (tungsten correction), can it be used for improving contrast in B&W? Thanks!

Regards,
    Alvin
    hmmm... 400 may not be fast enough for a pub atmosphere. suggest a faster film, say 1600.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Any brands to recommend?

andylee
    Guests

Hello Alvin,

that filters is not to give you contrast. filters like yellow, orange, red, green, yellow-orange is for B/W photography. you wanna learn how to process 3200 ISO B/W film to be like 400 ISO B/W film??

Ok great i'll check out what these filters do

What?! 3200 speed with 400 grain?! I'd be interested of course... provided it doesn't cost a bomb

andylee
    Guests

Normal i don't use filters in your kind of scenario. I will over expose by at least 1/2 stops or rate the film at ISO 320 for 400 film, ISO 1600 for 3200 film. I will usually varies the processing time according to the exposure I have.eg if I feel that I have a roll slightly underexposure, I can counter back with the processing.

BTW, do you like the B/W pics I take?? They were taken with orange filters. for people shots, I use yellow-orange. not so contrast.

The setup cost around S$130 depending on what you get.

1.DEV tank
    2.measure cylinder
    3.dark bag
    4.film picker
    5.film clips
    6.themometer
    7.film developer
    8.fixer
    9.stop bath
    10.photo sponge
    Last edited by andylee; 11th September 2003 at 11:23 PM.

Hmm that's quite a bit of equipment for the price... will try it out after my exams