Thread: Macro on PnS vs SLR?

Default Macro on PnS vs SLR?

why SLR lens, to use macro, need special and expensive lens...

yet on PnS, can just simple 'enable' this feature?
    And if Pns have this feature, why don't they just make it permanently enabled all the time? Still have to enable when needed.

And the price difference, how to explain?

Default Re: Macro on PnS vs SLR?

Quote Originally Posted by serverxeon View Post

And if Pns have this feature, why don't they just make it permanently enabled all the time? Still have to enable when needed.

Macro is 1:1 and the macro in PnS cams are NOT 1:1. In fact, they're just close-ups.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

what you mean 1:1?

den how come at some 40+mm (adjusted for FOV crop) focal length, my PnS can macro but my DSLR takes half a meter to focus!

what you mean 1:1?

den how come at some 40+mm (adjusted for FOV crop) focal length, my PnS can macro but my DSLR takes half a meter to focus!
    Do note that DSLR lenses are constructed quite differently from PnS ones and working distance is due to sensor size. 1:1 means live-size, meaning the image on the sensor is the same size as the object being photographed.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 11th December 2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Real macro is 1:1 where the focal length of lens(es) to sensor is the same as the focal length of the lens(es) to the subject, and you will get a real and inverted image that is the same size on the sensor.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

anyone got the internal structure of lens and macro lens? interested to know how it differs.

so in another words, PnS 'macro' is not a full 1:1 macro? but is a close up only arh?

PnS macro mode only allows you to focus at a very close distance from the subject. But it does not give you 1:1 reproduction ratio.
    The best things in life are free.

anyone got the internal structure of lens and macro lens? interested to know how it differs.

so in another words, PnS 'macro' is not a full 1:1 macro? but is a close up only arh?
    Well as i told u earlier on.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    PnS macro mode only allows you to focus at a very close distance from the subject. But it does not give you 1:1 reproduction ratio.
    Personally I am also confused about the 1:1 reproduction ratio... any link or pic to further explain it?

Try taking a picture of a coin using a PnS and a dedicated macro lens with a DSLR and see the difference.
    BTW, most people would use manual focus instead of AF when it comes to macro shots
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

my problem is, sometimes i want take close pictures, but none of my SLR lens can do it.

if i dun wan 1:1, just big close up.. can SLR do? without macro lens?

You can always crop the picture but the quality is another story.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

hmm.
    lemme paraphrase...
    any options for short distance forcus?

other than macro lens

my problem is, sometimes i want take close pictures, but none of my SLR lens can do it.

if i dun wan 1:1, just big close up.. can SLR do? without macro lens?
    hmm.
    lemme paraphrase...
    any options for short distance forcus?

other than macro lens
    The reason is becos u're not using a macro lens. Other options are pairing your current lens with close-up filters, extension tube or reverse lens technique. But macro wise, a prime lens is always recommended.

ooh thanks
    so betw close up filters, extension tube, and reverse lens?
    which is the better one?

and roughly how much $ are the close up filter and extension tubes?

ooh thanks
    which is the better one?

There is a macro subforum in clubsnap. Some answers can be found there without much efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Personally I am also confused about the 1:1 reproduction ratio... any link or pic to further explain it?
    1:1 is less significant on digital because you don't actually get to see the image like you would do if you shot film. 1:1 simply means that the image you get on the film itself is exactly the same size as the original object. For digital, even when you view with the LCD display, there is already some magnification so it's really very difficult to see the significance of the magnification ratio.

for the enable part, I think they want to p&s camera to focus faster, so the focus will ignore the macro range and concentrate on the usual shoot range, rather than take time from the closest macro to infinity.

special macro lens can shoot with higher magnification power, and better image and sharpness than normal p&s macro setting.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

ooh thanks
    which is the better one?

It's depends on what focal length of lens u use and to what types of close up filters and extension tubes too. For close up filters there're +2, +4, +5, +10 for example and extension tubes have 12mm, 25mm and so on. Reverse lens method wise is the technique of mounting your lens the other way round to your camera, U can get reverse rings for the mounting.

Price wise for close up filters can range from anything between $20 and over $100 each, depending on magnification and filter size. Extension tubes for example, Canon's 12mm one is $125 and 25mm around $240. U can stack around 2 or 3 of these stuffs but do take note that for the filters, the more u stack, the more your image will degrade due to more pieces of glass in front of your lens.

I wouldn't say which is a better one, depends on which suits u and budget too.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    1:1 is less significant on digital because you don't actually get to see the image like you would do if you shot film. 1:1 simply means that the image you get on the film itself is exactly the same size as the original object. For digital, even when you view with the LCD display, there is already some magnification so it's really very difficult to see the significance of the magnification ratio.
    Thanks for clearing the confusion...