Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'If we can afford to spend, why not?'

Default Re: 'If we can afford to spend, why not?'

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    yepp.

i do not disagree with that. actually, i am being one.

Cos there was a time in my life, i was having 1 meal every 2 days, just to make sure i stay alive. 50 bucks a month on food. thats all i got. the rest of the time i drink water to fill my tummy. that lasted for half a year. and during that time, i was watching my peers eat good food, enjoy good life, run out of money, just stick hand out to parents to ask for more. and that happened just 4 years ago.

i grew up being a sour grape, cos my peers were all getting at LEAST twice the amount of allowance as me. i know different pple lead differnet lives. but i cant help but compare.
    I'm sure you are doing much better now tht u are the proud owner of 2 nikons DSLR!

yepp.

i do not disagree with that. actually, i am being one.

Cos there was a time in my life, i was having 1 meal every 2 days, just to make sure i stay alive. 50 bucks a month on food. thats all i got. the rest of the time i drink water to fill my tummy. that lasted for half a year. and during that time, i was watching my peers eat good food, enjoy good life, run out of money, just stick hand out to parents to ask for more. and that happened just 4 years ago.

i grew up being a sour grape, cos my peers were all getting at LEAST twice the amount of allowance as me. i know different pple lead differnet lives. but i cant help but compare.
    i hope u dun become a raisin. i walked in shoes similiar to urs before, i know how it feels.

Adding in another $0.20 here:

I was one of those who never got a job (not even during the holidays) growing up, surviving on the allowance I get from my parents. I admit I was too lazy to go work (and my siblings always got on my case about it). However, my parents never gave extra. No such things as "claims" in our system. My siblings worked so that they had the extra money to spend (buying Elle bags and stuff) whereas I never saw the need for extra. Even in JC I could easily survive on $50-$100 a month hence I never saw the need to work for extras during the hols since I don't buy stuff (note that allowance is not given during school holidays).

I believe the focus should be more on the atitude towards spending. Even for kids who go and work during the holidays, if they don't learn how to control their spending, then they will still be spending every cent they earn as adults instead of putting aside a monthly savings component.

Everytime there's some discussion about money it seems like it's politically incorrect to say that you don't find it a big deal to spend money.

You will find that people with families that have no problems with money will not find it an issue to spend money, and won't harp on it, and savings aren't even something that we really consider until later.

Then there is the other mentality where people who've had to be conscious about money from the start get disgusted at the first group of people.

I think there needs to be more understanding from both sides that there are different sensitivities or insensitivities at play, different family situations. Just because you save money doesn't make you better than someone else, neither does having money make you better than someone else.
    Being able to buy pizza hut does not mean that you're rich (jeez that's really low standards)
    Being rich is not bad. I hope EVERYONE gets rich.

Personally I didn't save money until I was 20+, any money I made from jobs I spent on CDs or food or girls.
    I thank my parents for that.
    Now I'm a working adult and I'm doing fine, I don't ask my parents for money and I have my savings. So what's the big deal?

The whole "savings" mentality does not necessarily produce the best returns on your money. It's much better to take a deep breath and consider where is the best place to invest your money (in your personal development which will lead to greater returns in the future, in shares, in your business), rather than just throwing it into savings.

--------

The economy is "not doing well" but it depends on which area you're working in also.
    Certain segments of the economy are directly affected in a bad way and some in a good way. Companies offer better deals because of a slowdown in business
    Personally I find it the best time to spend money (when the economy is bad) because I get better bang for my buck, the same buck which is worth the same amount of money or less later on when the economy is good and prices start going up again.

From a business perspective, don't let all the talk about how bad the economy is doing cloud your judgement on how to spend money.
    The economic dark cloud was looming more than a year ago already when I was in the US, but when I came back to Singapore all I saw in the newspapers were how GREAT the economy was doing, and inflation hit like a hammer.
    Where's all the great news a year later?

Quote Originally Posted by xylestesins View Post
    You can't blame the kids, you blame the parents.
    providing them with that kind of money is just asking for trouble.

Although, yes those few dollars that they save isn't probably going to be worth much in the future, i believe it all boils down to your financial status. Kids WILL adapt whether they like it or not when their family is not doing well, or they can just starve to death. I have yet to see anyone who would rather die (literally) than get a job

Although recently i saw a whole group of primary school students who went in MOS burger together and started ordering lavishly. Didn't seem like a celebration of any sort. When i was that age, i remembered that going to a fastfood cafe that cost about $6-8 for a meal is gonna cut your allowance by 1/2 or 3/4. It didn't feel like they were even affected by a quarter. Hahahah.

this thread is becoming a "let's see who was poorer because being rich is bad" thread
    Stop hitting on Headshotz. it's unfair.
    My neighbour buys LV bags. she's 19. And we're complaining about pizza hut???

Don't you find it abit weird that Singaporeans have a poverty mentality? Since we're busy comparing how poor we were in a country that's one of the richest in South East Asia, why don't you compare yourself to the kids living in junkyards in Manila? You should be ashamed at yourself for eating 50 cents mee rebus when kids there are eating dirt.
    KIDS NOWADAYS.

lutnut
    here's a tip
    take your sour grapes, and channel that energy into a drive to make money.
    Some of the greatest entrepreneurs in modern history started out from nothing.
    This is the very same dream that drove our ancestors to become successful.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post

lutnut
    here's a tip
    already in the process. =) started when i realised that channelling my sourness to the rigth action is the only action to do.

i got great expectations for myself before i hit 30. if cannot hor, time to rob bank. haha.

right now, i just need to fight the BBB virus.
    Last edited by luntut; 13th December 2008 at 01:57 AM.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    this thread is becoming a "let's see who was poorer because being rich is bad" thread
    Stop hitting on Headshotz. it's unfair.
    My neighbour buys LV bags. she's 19. And we're complaining about pizza hut???

Don't you find it abit weird that Singaporeans have a poverty mentality? Since we're busy comparing how poor we were in a country that's one of the richest in South East Asia, why don't you compare yourself to the kids living in junkyards in Manila? You should be ashamed at yourself for eating 50 cents mee rebus when kids there are eating dirt.
    KIDS NOWADAYS.

lutnut
    here's a tip

Who's hitting on him?
    If i did that would be instant self-pwn cause im 17 too
    i'm one of those "kids these days"

I think there's nothing wrong with spending within your limits, and appreciating what you have without asking for too much. Let's face it, all of us want MORE if we can afford it, it's a very rare case where someone will take his money to the grave.
    I'm just happy that i'm born in Singapore with the time and luxury to be able to log onto a forum like this and expend free time when i'm not working or studying to chit chat a little bit

Life just keeps getting better and better, there is no denying to that, even if the financial crash is one of the worst in 10 years.
    And who are we to talk anyway? Our ancestors shot on BnW film while we have digital options, it's another comparison where our seniors will then say "kids these days" to us. They had to load magnesium bulbs every flash used while we merely wait like what - 4 seconds on a vivitar to reach full recycle?
    Last edited by xylestesins; 13th December 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Just relax........

They are just helping the market to recover , i don't think anyone have the right to comment too much unless the money come out from your own pocket.

Even if a kid is spending like hell using his/her parents hard-earned money, so........that is because his/her parent willingly giving their kids the money. If anyone think that in the future, that kid will suffer because of this up-bringing, so..............it wouldn't really affect you.

Even end of the day, something bad had happen and the family don't have any saving left to tide over the crisis and left alone to suffer, that is also their own problem.

To be frank, not everyone is affected in this crisis, some are actually blessed by this crisis.

If you still can surf CS and having photography as hobby, then you are not so bad, there are many ppls out in the street picking old cans and cardbroad just to tide over the next day.

Kids will never change, peer group pressure and the must-have society that we live in will ensure that. That is why they are such a profitable target for businesses such as ahem...Apple. They are so oblivious to the real world where we have to EARN a LIVING, that's right, we have to pay to live.

Some kids however understand that its not the ipods or big LCD TVs that is going to make everyone happy in the household for long, but rather the security of having one another and learning off each others' wisdom. Many of the chinese people that I've met are not rich by worldly standards but they have enough. I was embarrassed when I heard that my best friend's family installed a western toilet because they heard that I was coming over for a visit (ok I am really uncomfortable about using a hole in the ground). See how spoilt I've become?

We cannot blame kids for not knowing enough of the world if we cannot teach them, and it is the role of the parents to do this. Shoving money in someone's face isn't going to solve a problem in the long term.

Recessions are good life trials. At least if you get through one then you're better prepared for the next one.
    Last edited by MRSAMO; 13th December 2008 at 09:23 AM.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

I was given:

$0.50 a day from Pri 1 - Pri 3
    $1.00 a day from Pri 4 - Pri 6
    $2.00 a day to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 1 to 2.
    $80 a month to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 3 to 4.
    $150 a month to cover transport, lunch and dinner from JC 1 to JC 2.

Weekends ah, dun need to think about going out la.

I am now 25. This values are not very long ago.
    I got about the same as you just that I had .50 cents more per day for bus travel (back then it was .25 cents with the bus card, no MRT or EZlink).... I never made it to a JC so I worked a bit before army at 17. And I'm 37 now... didn't think anybody had the same money problems I had back then....Do we have the same parents ?? hahaha

there's a cheap way to eat pizza hut, go JB
    i go there sometimes...and everything half price.
    spent only 10 bucks a meal.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 13th December 2008 at 10:24 AM.

It's interesting how the subject of discussion tends to influence some of our arguments on how to spend money.

If you go to a car forum, everyone will discuss enthusiastically what the latest cars you must buy. Go to hardware zone and everyone will advise you on which latest electonic gizmos to buy. Start a thread on, Are youngsters spending uncontrollably? And amazingly, adults come in like financially poor citizens shaking their heads at these youths!

If the young wants to spend that much, and they can afford it, or rather their parents can afford to give them that much, why bother being the Policeman and teach them what to do? It's like suddenly, most people here seem to become paupers who live each day finding it so hard to get by.

What about we adults ourselves? Have we considered how we spend our own money before we point fingers at the youngsters?

In contradiction, you can go to the other posts on the latest cameras. Let's just talk about the 5D MkII. Look at the hordes of people all rushing to buy it. Not all are pros. So do we have any right to admonish them: Hey, do you really need a 5D Mk II in this economic crisis?
    Or do you really need to change your digicam once every year?

So what's the justification in seeing something wrong with a teenager ordering pizza? Is a pizza really that expensive or considered a spendthrift behaviour by singaporean standards? I certainly don't think so. I thin it's just a case of being sore-eyed.

And I see little point in reminiscing how we once used to survive on a few cents or $1 for our daily spending as a student in the past. Why wallow in that? To show that kids these days are spoilt? Or that we were so poor then that kids these days should also be the same?

Times have changed. A bowl of mee back in the 70's can cost what, only a few cents? How can we compare apples with oranges. If today's camera has AF, AE ETTL and what not, do we dwell or relish in the past where everything has to be painfully done manually before a picture is taken?

Let's face it. Singapore isn't a poor nation. A recent newspaper report featured a long Q of people at a Gucci store. People here by the hundreds are continually discussing Should I get a D700 or D3? A D300 or 50D? I don't think the economy has anything much to do with whether we should buy a pizza for lunch or if we should sell away a lens or 2 cos we cannot cope with the living standards.

ERPs and car prices are so high here yet singaporeans are flocking to car showrooms to buy newer cars. A small HDB flat costs more than half million $. Mobile phones, computers, MP3 players, LCD TVs, etc etc are continually being upgraded all too often by the common layperson.

Come on, singaporeans ain't that poor! or.... maybe that's cos they have indirectly signed a petition to serve the nation by working till past 70 years of age? Good or bad, let's not take it out on the younsters on the way they spend. Let's start with ourselves first.

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    What about we adults ourselves? Have we considered how we spend our own money before we point fingers at the youngsters?

In contradiction, you can go to the other posts on the latest cameras. Let's just talk about the 5D MkII. Look at the hordes of people all rushing to buy it. Not all are pros. So do we have any right to admonish them: Hey, do you really need a 5D Mk II in this economic crisis?
    Or do you really need to change your digicam once every year?

So what's the justification in seeing something wrong with a teenager ordering pizza? Is a pizza really that expensive or considered a spendthrift behaviour by singaporean standards? I certainly don't think so. I thin it's just a case of being sore-eyed.
    very well said.

oni point fingers in the direction after checking ourselves by looking into the mirror. but some thread dun say oso can tell its a sour grape thread.

imay get for being blunt but there's no escaping that fact, there are just folks out there that does not like others for the way they live their lives, how they spend their time, $$, their rather different very views.

about pointing fingers, its a bad habit that many will find tough to change. not when they've their likeminded khakis. the groupthink mentality is hard to break out of.

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnchan View Post
    I got about the same as you just that I had .50 cents more per day for bus travel (back then it was .25 cents with the bus card, no MRT or EZlink).... I never made it to a JC so I worked a bit before army at 17. And I'm 37 now... didn't think anybody had the same money problems I had back then....Do we have the same parents ?? hahaha
    you might be actually my long lost brother!

haha.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123