Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'If we can afford to spend, why not?'

Default Re: 'If we can afford to spend, why not?'

lol during my pri sch days, sometimes dun even have money to take a bus home. Have to walk 30 mins home.

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    So you will only save when you have an incentive? So you only save 100 bucks cos your parents will give you additional 200, which translates to 200% interest? try finding me a bank in the REAL WORLD that does that.

Glad to know that you never had money problems with your parents, but do you exactly know the value, the meaning of hard earned cash? you are turning 16. YET 16. you are still a kid. And from the sounds of it, you have always been getting cash from your parents all your life, and you have never tried earning a single cent for your own keep.

Please la. I havent had pizza hut for over 3 years, and everytime I walk pass pizza hut, I get a very strong urge to walk in. But I never did, for the simple fact it costs too much for a simple meal. Its just food. Its not a celebration. Why spend so much? I spend 3 bucks a day on lunch, another 3 for dinner. 30 bucks a week, and 1 pizza hut meal can easily cost me 1 week's worth of food.

If you had the money, if you understood the importance, and the pain it takes to WORK for that money, you will be saving it, instead of splurging it all on lavish goods and foods. And not just saving it, but putting it to work for you.
    No, the incentive was when I was younger and didn't know why I should save. But tell me, why would you save? Because there's an incentive, right? When times are bad, you have more leeway? When times are bad, you are able to invest- plant a seed in a company, and let it grow? So you can provide for your family and stay alive during times of need? Isn't that an incentive in itself? When the economy is good, why would you save?

I personally believe that saving "just because" doesn't make sense. There will always be a material reason for saving. Whether that means having more freedom, or having more money to buy stuff you want / need, it's up to the person.

It doesn't make sense when you're asking whether I know the meaning of hard earned cash. I mean, even if you're earning it and providing for your family, do you really know? Hey, it's your opinion, no need to force it onto others. I admit that I don't work for my own money, but why take it personally? I might be a kid with age, but must I have the 16yo mentality?

Regarding the pizza hut example-- Lets say I've saved for a year straight without touching my savings. And it's my holidays. Would I need other people's justification for me to pick up the phone to order a pizza?

I know this is a matter of opinion and perspective, but seriously, do you have to make it sound so personal? With all the "please la"s and telling people what to do-- why say all that? Just because I told the people in the forum that I'm 16 and exposed my pocketmoney stats?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

I was given:

$0.50 a day from Pri 1 - Pri 3
    $1.00 a day from Pri 4 - Pri 6
    $2.00 a day to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 1 to 2.
    $80 a month to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 3 to 4.
    $150 a month to cover transport, lunch and dinner from JC 1 to JC 2.

Weekends ah, dun need to think about going out la.

I am now 25. This values are not very long ago.

I hear of kids given $100 a week in sec 1 to eat. And not enough some more. Even just half a year ago, I had a junior who had a filthy rich dad, who owns dunno hw many resorts in bali, getting 2000 a month for pocket allowance.

best part is, he always complain money not enough. He spends like 10 bucks on breakfast. Lunch and dinner, dun even need to think about it.

Come on la.
    different people different standard la and you have to factor in the generation we are in now... bottom line is the up bringing... don't compare with people with filthy rich dads la... if your father is filthy rich and he gives you 10 dollars a day, you will be the one calling him a cheap skate... (just joking)

I was given:

$0.50 a day from Pri 1 - Pri 3
    $1.00 a day from Pri 4 - Pri 6
    $2.00 a day to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 1 to 2.
    $80 a month to cover lunch and dinner from Sec 3 to 4.
    $150 a month to cover transport, lunch and dinner from JC 1 to JC 2.

Weekends ah, dun need to think about going out la.

I am now 25. This values are not very long ago.

I hear of kids given $100 a week in sec 1 to eat. And not enough some more. Even just half a year ago, I had a junior who had a filthy rich dad, who owns dunno hw many resorts in bali, getting 2000 a month for pocket allowance.

best part is, he always complain money not enough. He spends like 10 bucks on breakfast. Lunch and dinner, dun even need to think about it.
    u've got a better memory than me. i can oni vaguely remember.

abundance breeds wastfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    No, the incentive was when I was younger and didn't know why I should save. But tell me, why would you save? Because there's an incentive, right? When times are bad, you have more leeway? When times are bad, you are able to invest- plant a seed in a company, and let it grow? So you can provide for your family and stay alive during times of need? Isn't that an incentive in itself? When the economy is good, why would you save?
    I din save when i was young. I spent every single cent i was given. not because i want to, but because i eat a LOT, and it wasnt just enough. Even when i was in university, i spent every single cent i worked and earned. for the simple fact that i told myself (and it wasnt right) that since i am living off nobody, i can just spend whatever i earn. i am regretting that decision so ever much now.

It doesn't make sense when you're asking whether I know the meaning of hard earned cash. I mean, even if you're earning it and providing for your family, do you really know? Hey, it's your opinion, no need to force it onto others. I admit that I don't work for my own money, but why take it personally? I might be a kid with age, but must I have the 16yo mentality?
    I am not saying that because you are a kid, thats why i am quoting everything that you are saying. I will just quote anyone who says that. What is money? its simply a form of exchange, that holds constant. It doesnt mean anything. Its just paper and metal. But it makes the world goes round. It makes pple kill. So, what is it exactly?

Regarding the pizza hut example-- Lets say I've saved for a year straight without touching my savings. And it's my holidays. Would I need other people's justification for me to pick up the phone to order a pizza?

I know this is a matter of opinion and perspective, but seriously, do you have to make it sound so personal? With all the "please la"s and telling people what to do-- why say all that? Just because I told the people in the forum that I'm 16 and exposed my pocketmoney stats?
    Nope. you dont need to justify to anyone when you eat Pizza. and seriously, holidays means can eat merrily and waste life away? whoever inculcated that ideal into you?

Yes its a matter of opinion. its your opinion that i am being personal, and telling you what to do. Its my opinion that i am just giving my opinion. Why say all that? its my way of speech. Are you going to tell me not to say that? I will not hesitate to apologise if i cross the line. If I did cross the line, i am sorry. 16 yrs old is juz 9 years ago for me. And 9 years ago, i never had that spending power you had. my parents essentially left me hanging out there, i will just get a straight NO everytime i ask for a dollar or 2 more a week, till i gave up asking.

and I did already mention from the start, this is a sensitive topic to me. very sensitive.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u've got a better memory than me. i can oni vaguely remember.

abundance breeds wastfulness.
    It wasnt too far back for me. And I still remmeber those days when my mum forgets to give me a 50cent or a dollar coin, i will get soo upset and cry, cos i wont be able to have my meals. and i got no way to contact them (no hp still), so ended up starving. and that happened quite often. oh and i made an error. it was 120 for JC. it was only 100 actually, till i complained so much, i was upped 20 bucks in j2.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    if your father is filthy rich and he gives you 10 dollars a day, you will be the one calling him a cheap skate... (just joking)
    now now why did i not think about that perspective.
    Last edited by luntut; 12th December 2008 at 01:16 AM.
    My Flickr

Nope. you dont need to justify to anyone when you eat Pizza. and seriously, holidays means can eat merrily and waste life away? whoever inculcated that ideal into you?

Yes its a matter of opinion. its your opinion that i am being personal, and telling you what to do. Its my opinion that i am just giving my opinion. Why say all that? its my way of speech. Are you going to tell me not to say that? I will not hesitate to apologise if i cross the line. If I did cross the line, i am sorry. 16 yrs old is juz 9 years ago for me. And 9 years ago, i never had that spending power you had. my parents essentially left me hanging out there, i will just get a straight NO everytime i ask for a dollar or 2 more a week, till i gave up asking.

and I did already mention from the start, this is a sensitive topic to me. very sensitive.
    lol, lax la, act up until like that for what. lax lax, take a chill pill only a discussion.

I say that I am entitled to order a pizza meal costing S$26 for my own personal dinner during the holidays as long as I have more than enough savings for other things / helping my parents out if they need help.

While I can come onto the forums and say "I can afford to spend on slightly lavish lifestyles without working and by saving pocketmoney", must I be coined a "pampered" boy? heh, perspectives, so irritating.

Cheers
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

The point here is affordability. So, spend what you can afford, meaning that the amount does not form a negligible impact on your savings or your funds.

$20 bucks a meal? Some may consider it expensive, some may consider it alright (once a week), some may have it daily. It's all relative.

Now, what's terrible is spending beyond your means, and being unable to sustain your basic needs because you overextended somewhere else.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

lol, lax la, act up until like that for what. lax lax, take a chill pill only a discussion.

I say that I am entitled to order a pizza meal costing S$26 for my own personal dinner during the holidays as long as I have more than enough savings for other things / helping my parents out if they need help.

While I can come onto the forums and say "I can afford to spend on slightly lavish lifestyles without working and by saving pocketmoney", must I be coined a "pampered" boy? heh, perspectives, so irritating.

Cheers
    i am lax enuff. and i just realised that your parents getting you 70-200 L. the most expensive gift they ever gave me was a 300 bucks watch, which was for 3 birthdays. or was it 4?

you are being pampered by your parents. admit it. haha. and just remember this, every cent you spend, belongs to your parents. =)
    Last edited by luntut; 12th December 2008 at 01:42 AM.
    My Flickr

and just remember this, every cent you spend, belongs to your parents. =)
    Amen. No argument to that

Amen. No argument to that
    hi bro headshotzx i am not going to be personal at you but i just want to get your view since you are in your 16th...

as everyone know the economic is turning very soul this moment of time, there will be an immediate results be shown in 1-2 months time and suddenly your parents business go down and start to consider about slashing your allowance by more than half, are you able to cope with such changes as per your every day life styles and spending habits?

sounds like a case of sour grapes to me..

ah well

Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    hi bro headshotzx i am not going to be personal at you but i just want to get your view since you are in your 16th...

as everyone know the economic is turning very soul this moment of time, there will be an immediate results be shown in 1-2 months time and suddenly your parents business go down and start to consider about slashing your allowance by more than half, are you able to cope with such changes as per your every day life styles and spending habits?
    I do not exactly have spending habits, other than food (amounted savings go to lens purchases when allowed by parents). My monthly allowance is S$250, and if you cut that down by half, I still can save S$25 because S$100 is what I require / the optimal amount for spending.

EDIT: If my allowance was cut by half, AND I have to spend money for presents like this Xmas season, then it might not be enough, so I'll skimp on the meals.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 12th December 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Well i think that's quite an obvious question if it's a simple Yes/No.

Don't cope = Drop dead and die
    Cope = Continue with life, albeit with difficulty and struggle

So far i don't see any 16 year olds or even anyone else for that matter, die in Singapore due to recession
    Everyone WILL cope, because that's the only way you don't drop dead and die in a lonely alley. And probably have one of the street photogs snap a photo of you to put up here too.
    Last edited by xylestesins; 12th December 2008 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xylestesins View Post
    And probably have one of the street photogs snap a photo of you to put up here too.
    Ouch

some youngster really don't understand what is economic bad.....to them is like every day news on the strait times.

when parents start to reduce their allowance they might feel sad and some even angry or show attitude. i think it is rather important to guide young generation what will be the effect of economic turn down and what is the immediate effect of such situation, like allowance cuts, holiday cancelled etc....

Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    some youngster really don't understand what is economic bad.....to them is like every day news on the strait times.

when parents start to reduce their allowance they might feel sad and some even angry or show attitude. i think it is rather important to guide young generation what will be the effect of economic turn down and what is the immediate effect of such situation, like allowance cuts, holiday cancelled etc....
    Just relax........

They are just helping the market to recover , i don't think anyone have the right to comment too much unless the money come out from your own pocket.

Even if a kid is spending like hell using his/her parents hard-earned money, so........that is because his/her parent willingly giving their kids the money. If anyone think that in the future, that kid will suffer because of this up-bringing, so..............it wouldn't really affect you.

Even end of the day, something bad had happen and the family don't have any saving left to tide over the crisis and left alone to suffer, that is also their own problem.

To be frank, not everyone is affected in this crisis, some are actually blessed by this crisis.

If you still can surf CS and having photography as hobby, then you are not so bad, there are many ppls out in the street picking old cans and cardbroad just to tide over the next day.
    Last edited by Leong23; 12th December 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Aiyo folks, why harp on it? It's all about levels. Different people lead different lives mah. Cannot anyhow compare what. If they can afford it, that's their business la. If you can't afford it and sulk when your rich friends can afford it then I think you really need a reality check immediately. I don't understand how schooling kids not being able to buy some luxury item is categorized as a peer pressure. Shouldn't it be getting about good grades? Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by rTwin View Post
    sounds like a case of sour grapes to me..

ah well
    yepp.

i do not disagree with that. actually, i am being one.

Cos there was a time in my life, i was having 1 meal every 2 days, just to make sure i stay alive. 50 bucks a month on food. thats all i got. the rest of the time i drink water to fill my tummy. that lasted for half a year. and during that time, i was watching my peers eat good food, enjoy good life, run out of money, just stick hand out to parents to ask for more. and that happened just 4 years ago.

i grew up being a sour grape, cos my peers were all getting at LEAST twice the amount of allowance as me. i know different pple lead differnet lives. but i cant help but compare.
    My Flickr

I say that I am entitled to order a pizza meal costing S$26
    Why pizza hut cost $26 so ex meh?? haha, i only take pizza hut for lunch at most... still prefer my rice for dinner....but its been quite a long time since i went to pizza hut alrd...

I might be a kid with age, but must I have the 16yo mentality?
    Haha, definitely no! I'm not that much older than u(less than 10years) but, i rmb tht my mentality back then was like probably 30 year old or smth.... i cld talk to my teachers about financial news back then since the age of 14....

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    asking my mother for money (we called it claims)
    Just the fact that everyday living in Singapore is EXPENSIVE.
    When they make their own money they'll understand the value of money more lah.no big deal.
    Hehe, i call it claims too, but ltr claims dun work, call it sponsorship. Now, i dun bother anymore, i try to sponsor myself at all times, no $$ dun buy lor.... The only one request i made in recent years from my parents is a 2k laptop coz i need it for study purpose, but other than tht, nothing else....

Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    My parents stopped giving me pocket money when I was 13 and old enough to take up a paper round. Ever since that day I had a job of some description and it was the best life-learning I ever did. I learned more during one summer working on a construction site aged 16 than I ever did at university.

But here in Singapore, I can't really see the kids wanting to work hard to earn their money, rather just scrounge off the parents. It's a shame - they have a hard lesson coming to them down the line.
    it muz have been hard on you. Haha, but i do earn my own $$. my parents definitely do not give me alot of $$. so sometime not enuf take from savings first, holidays go and work and replenish the amt i took out before tht. Cannot half work half study coz i dun want work commitments to affect my studies, it is juz not worth it. up till now, tt worked fine for me, and i'm proud to say my grades are not too bad at all

I had a junior who had a filthy rich dad, who owns dunno hw many resorts in bali, getting 2000 a month for pocket allowance.

Come on la.
    He muz be damn FAT. Sure die early one.... wonder what he eats?
    Last edited by evo-lution; 12th December 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast