Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

  1. #1

    Default Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    I'm just getting into the practice of using filters for landscapes and considering trying out the Tianya equipment as it is rather cheap. Any of you have experience with using their wide filter holder and some of the GND / ND filters? Any shops here stock them where I can go 'check' the goods before buying as opposed to MO?

    I'll be using it on a Canon 10-22.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    <BUMP>

    Anyone using filters?

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Search for 'tian ya' and you'll get a lot of threads.
    For 10-22 you'll need the wide angle holder, otherwise you'll get vignetting. Filters are ok. If it's too cheap for you just use Cokin, Lee or Singh Ray in the same holder

  4. #4
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    cheap and usable, if u dun wish to splurge on cokin filters (btw, the tianya filter holder can hold cokin too, IIRC).

    but, they scratch a little to easily. i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  5. #5

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Thanks Octarine and nightwolf75 for your inputs!

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.
    I was thinking of these too initially but I didn't see how you can manage the transition point for a GND or a reverse GND with a screw in filter. Am I missing something or is it possible with some technique? This was the main reason I started research on filters in holders!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by thaBuzzed View Post
    I was thinking of these too initially but I didn't see how you can manage the transition point for a GND or a reverse GND with a screw in filter. Am I missing something or is it possible with some technique? This was the main reason I started research on filters in holders!
    basically you just turn turn and turn into your lens or filter (if you have one attached). it's exactly the same on how you attach a round filter to your lens.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    basically you just turn turn and turn into your lens or filter (if you have one attached). it's exactly the same on how you attach a round filter to your lens.
    If you dun understand TS question, dun just blindly answer!

    How can just turn turn and turn to adjust the transition point of GND?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    cheap and usable, if u dun wish to splurge on cokin filters (btw, the tianya filter holder can hold cokin too, IIRC).

    but, they scratch a little to easily. i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.

    Hi, sorry i'm rather new to photography have no experience with filters. what screw in filter brand are you using, and where to get??

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    If you dun understand TS question, dun just blindly answer!

    How can just turn turn and turn to adjust the transition point of GND?
    sorry, wasn't intentional. i misread. sorry.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    If you dun understand TS question, dun just blindly answer!

    How can just turn turn and turn to adjust the transition point of GND?
    He is partially correct.

    You can tilt the horizon to your liking by turning the filter holder, and thus somewhat like turning your normal threaded filters as you would with a polariser. This also means that you can do "reverse" GND.
    However, if you want to adjust the transition point, you just need to partially shift the filter in and out of the bracket holder.

    But for me, I didn't buy the holder; I just handheld the filters. Quite clumsy at times.

    I hope to have clear all the doubts.
    Last edited by sin77; 14th December 2008 at 12:47 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  11. #11

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    He is partially correct.

    You can tilt the horizon to your liking by turning the filter holder, and thus somewhat like turning your normal threaded filters as you would with a polariser. This also means that you can do "reverse" GND.
    However, if you want to adjust the transition point, you just need to partially shift the filter in and out of the bracket holder.

    But for me, I didn't buy the holder; I just handheld the filters. Quite clumsy at times.

    I hope to have clear all the doubts.

    Read the whole thread! make yourself understand what is the question and what is the answer

    TS last question is refering to screw in type not the one with holder

  12. #12

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Read the whole thread! make yourself understand what is the question and what is the answer

    TS last question is refering to screw in type not the one with holder

    yah man....

    TS - Screw in type can only tilt horizon. You cannot shift the transition point.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  13. #13

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post

    yah man....

    TS - Screw in type can only tilt horizon. You cannot shift the transition point.
    Thanks guys. I'll be going in for these filters then. Probably pick up wide angle holder, GND, Reverse GND and a CPL.

    ..and maybe I'll invest in a screw in CPL somewhere down the line (they are pretty ex at $200+) since using the filter holder could get a tad inconvenient while travelling.

  14. #14
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by thaBuzzed View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be going in for these filters then. Probably pick up wide angle holder, GND, Reverse GND and a CPL.

    ..and maybe I'll invest in a screw in CPL somewhere down the line (they are pretty ex at $200+) since using the filter holder could get a tad inconvenient while travelling.
    Let me know where you find Reverse GND from Tian Ya

  15. #15
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Hi, sorry i'm rather new to photography have no experience with filters. what screw in filter brand are you using, and where to get??
    got it from ebay actually. u can search for a seller named fotodiox_gear. i actually wanted to buy from CP. but, they told me i have to pre-order and wait for 6mths... if i'm lucky. told them thank you very much and ordered from ebay. took them 1 wk to deliver.

    Quote Originally Posted by thaBuzzed View Post
    Thanks Octarine and nightwolf75 for your inputs!

    I was thinking of these too initially but I didn't see how you can manage the transition point for a GND or a reverse GND with a screw in filter. Am I missing something or is it possible with some technique? This was the main reason I started research on filters in holders!
    yep. u cannot manage the transition point. you can only vary the angle of transition by turning the filter, once you got your lens focused. a real pain in the posterior, if you are used to using drop-in filters. not a biggie for me cos i tend to use my GND/G-coloured filters in the 180-deg orientation for landscapes anyway.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by thaBuzzed View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be going in for these filters then. Probably pick up wide angle holder, GND, Reverse GND and a CPL.

    ..and maybe I'll invest in a screw in CPL somewhere down the line (they are pretty ex at $200+) since using the filter holder could get a tad inconvenient while travelling.
    Please enlighten me what is reverse GND? I thought u just slot in upside down will do?

    Threaded CPL you buying wat size and brand?
    My 72mm Kenko CPL is only $100. It is Pro 1 Digital grade.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  17. #17

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Please enlighten me what is reverse GND? I thought u just slot in upside down will do?

    Threaded CPL you buying wat size and brand?
    My 72mm Kenko CPL is only $100. It is Pro 1 Digital grade.
    Reverse GND has the highest density in the middle of the filter and then 'graduates' out towards the edges equally. Basically a dark part is down the middle opposed to the top edge.

    The screw in CPL I'm considering is a B+W Slim 77mm for a 10-22mm

  18. #18
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Please enlighten me what is reverse GND? I thought u just slot in upside down will do?
    A reverse grad is one in which the transition zone is the darkest, instead of getting a darker gradient as you progress to the top in the case of a GND



    Here is a pic taken from singh ray filters

    I find them pretty useful for sunrise / sunset as they nicely block the area that is the brightest instead of having the skies darkening much more at the periphery. Otherwise it is more niched than a GND

    Ryan

  19. #19

    Default Re: Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

    Some good read about Reverse GND http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...e-grad-nd.html.

    A little bit OT. Anybody used the Cokin P-System CPL before?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •