Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Fire Hydrant

  1. #1

    Default Fire Hydrant



    I am pretty new to photography and i like taking obscure objects.

    I took this fire hydrant in Delta Road, with my new Oly OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 on E510. I kind of like the number for this one. I was trying to capture the crusty details (uneven surface of the hydrant) on the fire hydrant.

    Will it be better to do so with a macro lens close up? (thought i dont have any macro lens as of yet)

    I wish to know from experts here about the composition. And most importantly if my technique is wrong or something.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    Matter of factly this picture works for me.
    Colours stands out, rule of thirds is observed, and you've managed to make the background bokeh-ed such that there aren't distracting elements in there. I don't think a macro lens will do much in creating a better picture for this one. Well, I've never used a true macro lens before either.

    Image looks too contrasty, even though it suits my taste. The greens steal attention from the subject as well, and would be more successful in doing so if not for the bokeh.
    Good take, but you probably have done too much post processing to it?

    Out of curiousity, what's the interest for #41?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    on first glance, i felt that the picture didn't suit the title. Yes the picture may have shown a fire hydrant, but the numbers caught my eye first.

    would it be better if you took the Whole fire hydrant instead? with an f/1.8 lens you still can play around with depth of field(DOF) at that distance away.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    I feel that the crop for this pic is too tight. Would had moved 2-3 steps back...
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    Matter of factly this picture works for me.
    Colours stands out, rule of thirds is observed, and you've managed to make the background bokeh-ed such that there aren't distracting elements in there. I don't think a macro lens will do much in creating a better picture for this one. Well, I've never used a true macro lens before either.

    Image looks too contrasty, even though it suits my taste. The greens steal attention from the subject as well, and would be more successful in doing so if not for the bokeh.
    Good take, but you probably have done too much post processing to it?

    Out of curiousity, what's the interest for #41?
    oh 41 was my exam seat number recently haha... was a nice paper too ...

    But i guess you are right... the post processing was overdone =(

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    on first glance, i felt that the picture didn't suit the title. Yes the picture may have shown a fire hydrant, but the numbers caught my eye first.

    would it be better if you took the Whole fire hydrant instead? with an f/1.8 lens you still can play around with depth of field(DOF) at that distance away.
    ya i will try another one with a full hydrant real soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    I feel that the crop for this pic is too tight. Would had moved 2-3 steps back...
    hmm... i am not too sure, maybe i dint take it well but i did take another one 2-3 steps back but it dint turn out well =(


    thank you all for the inputs! =p

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    Like the rest have mentioned, take a step back, and try not to cut your hydrant's top and sides.

    As for the colors, they work for me. Reds and greens form a good blend of contrasts. The hydrant's aim is to stand out for ease of sight, hence, it works.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    the nonos:
    1) too much pp, the colours are too saturated, but if you intended it to be dramatic, then yes, you'v really succeeded
    2) the crop of the shot, all sides are fine with me, EXCEPT the TOP!!! the frame cuts off the top of the hydrant, distracting and, for a picky person like me, i don't like my subject to have weird parts cut off
    3) the top left corner has a bit of light coming in (or is it just my eyes and monitor?) haha, distracting lah

    the dof is damn good, i like the chain and the effect the bokeh has given it. nice attention to the number on the hydrant too. and i like the colours, very nice feel, chirstmasy (green and red). hahaha.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fire Hydrant

    Suggestion;
    You could have taken it top down, while still getting the 41. I believe the hydrant is among a patch of grass, so with the top down at a good angle; would would still get the red vs green AND the full length of the "arms".
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •