Thread: How to take such photos (equipment, lens, etc needed)

Default How to take such photos (equipment, lens, etc needed)

As hiring a photographer might be costly and I sort of wish to learn the art I'm planning to shoot myself. I'm a designer and I'm planning to sell products that I have design and started a website and in the website there will be a gallery where I want the pictures to be similar to those found on this site. http://www.pmz-store.jp/html/categor...egory14_0.html

White background, neutral lighting, etc. I would like to get some advice from the pros on the kind of equipment I will need to achieve this sort of effect? I already have a Sony A350 plus an entry level zoom lens. I will probably need a specialized lens I guess. I hope to keep my total budget down to S$1,000.

Of course equipment is not the only thing I need. I'll need to know camera settings, etc and I'll do some learning here and there.

Thanks for the help guys.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to take such photos (equipment, lens, etc needed)

1st you need a tripod
    a good understanding of angle of view
    a nice clean background, but since you are a designer, you should know how to edgeout using photoshop
    a light tent (google it)
    and lights

similar discussion which could be helpful:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260343

Thanks for the help. I just ordered a light tent in one of the mass orders here. Although it's fun to DIY I'll just buy a proper one to save time. What kind of lights would you recommend and how about achieving a uniform, diffused light so there are no shadow? is lighting from both top and side a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by AenTan View Post
    Thanks for the help. I just ordered a light tent in one of the mass orders here. Although it's fun to DIY I'll just buy a proper one to save time. What kind of lights would you recommend and how about achieving a uniform, diffused light so there are no shadow? is lighting from both top and side a good idea?
    Your light tent is made of fabric that allows light through... so you can use continuous lighting (e.g. buy some powerful white light, like those where 25W is equivalent to 120W bulb or something like that. you can also try Ruby Photo where they have more powerful continuous lighting), or you can use camera flash, but have triggers to use them off camera.

The cheapest way would be to go to Ikea and buy 3 lamps, go to a supermarket and but the most powerful white light bulb, and there you have your cheap lighting kit.

My personal preference here is to go with off-camera flash, but this would cost much more. I started out using Ikea lights, and now moved on to off-camera flash
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AenTan View Post
    As hiring a photographer might be costly and I sort of wish to learn the art I'm planning to shoot myself. I'm a designer and I'm planning to sell products that I have design and started a website and in the website there will be a gallery where I want the pictures to be similar to those found on this site. http://www.pmz-store.jp/html/categor...egory14_0.html

White background, neutral lighting, etc. I would like to get some advice from the pros on the kind of equipment I will need to achieve this sort of effect? I already have a Sony A350 plus an entry level zoom lens. I will probably need a specialized lens I guess. I hope to keep my total budget down to S$1,000.

Of course equipment is not the only thing I need. I'll need to know camera settings, etc and I'll do some learning here and there.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Take up camera lessons on the field you are most interested in.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

to be honest, the money spent on your gear plus time spent learning how to do it would have equated to the cost of hiring a pro photographer.

had you hired a pro photographer, you would have had the pictures already and have started selling.. therefore, earning income from your main business.

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    to be honest, the money spent on your gear plus time spent learning how to do it would have equated to the cost of hiring a pro photographer.

had you hired a pro photographer, you would have had the pictures already and have started selling.. therefore, earning income from your main business.
    Well, I suppose a one-off investment in gear and technique could be a worth while investment thus making more sense in the long run (if that is your intend)

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by BoyCam View Post
    Well, I suppose a one-off investment in gear and technique could be a worth while investment thus making more sense in the long run (if that is your intend)

All the best
    yep, if that's for the long run.. then that's ok.

but wouldn't you rather spend your capital that brings your products to the market the soonest? the sooner you have your products online, the sooner you earn. then use those earnings to buy the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    The cheapest way would be to go to Ikea and buy 3 lamps, go to a supermarket and but the most powerful white light bulb, and there you have your cheap lighting kit.

My personal preference here is to go with off-camera flash, but this would cost much more. I started out using Ikea lights, and now moved on to off-camera flash
    Dear TS,
    Just wanted to add on to geraldkhoo's post in case you are not aware of white light bulb. Look for the the one that says daylight.

Just in case only.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Dear TS,
    Just wanted to add on to geraldkhoo's post in case you are not aware of white light bulb. Look for the the one that says daylight.

Just in case only.
    Yup, others that say warm or cool or something are not quite white... They appear orange in photos, like tungsten light...

I'm using cheap lamps and bright daylight bulbs for my DIY light box too...

Thanks for all the reply guys. I'm interested in getting the gear because personally I'm interested in photography as well. As for lighting, I used to play with planted aquariums and I sort of know lighting right down to the almost scientific level. I have a 4ft 4-tube T5 fixture with 4 7000 - 8000K T5HO tubes. They are expensive but give out the most natural and whitest light available for aesthetics and plant growth. I suppose those would be useful. 4 tubes would give 216W of high output light, maybe overkill but I think I'll experiment. cool cool!