Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Wow, that is one incredibly worn out keyboard.
    Definitely is... Want to buy me a new one for Christmas?

Some people say that pictures come out sharper without filters, and theoretically that is correct, however it all depends on the quality of the filters themselves and what people use them for. I'd say they're more useful than a hindrance, like blocking out unnecessary light/flares/etc, darkening and protecting the lens.

Pros use filters, that says it all.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Definitely is... Want to buy me a new one for Christmas?
    You can go to the 1 dollar store and buy one there

Or in JB only 50 cents
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Some people say that pictures come out sharper without filters, and theoretically that is correct, however it all depends on the quality of the filters themselves and what people use them for. I'd say they're more useful than a hindrance, like blocking out unnecessary light/flares/etc, darkening and protecting the lens.

Pros use filters, that says it all.
    Not all "Pros" use filters. Secondly: which 'unnecessary light' do you want to block? There is hardly any UV passing through a recent lens and the rest gets filtered at the sensor. So this is 95% sales pitch combined with a portion of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) about people who might damage their lens. There is a thread here in CS showing the damage caused in overhead compartment when somebody dumped a heavy bag on top of them camera bag. Result: filter crashed (B+W), lens is ok (lens cap was on and is also undamaged). So what is the purpose of the filter here? Secondly, most filters cause flair / ghosting - but not preventing it. It needs an expensive filter to minimize the chances. So you'd rather spend a lot of money to get a filter achieving nearly the same effect as 'no filter'? Doesn't make much sense.
    And if pictures come out sharper without filter then this is the best point to get rid of the filter. It's rather weird to accept a filter-caused softness which one tries to correct later with software-based sharpening. For me, when I'm using other filters, the UV filter is the hindrance.
    Last edited by Octarine; 16th December 2008 at 10:00 AM.

A filter definitely protects a lens. I remembered dropping a lens and the filter broke, but everything else was good.

Or maybe the lens is strong enough to withstand the impact? Even without a filter? Anyone tried?

I was talking about filters in general, but for UV well like you said some of the things the more expensive ones can do may well be just a sales pitch, or maybe not. I've been using mine for several years mainly to protect the lens and I do not see any difference with it off except that the images look a tiny bit brighter (D50 is brighter than D70). Sharpness remains the same, but if I get some other filters then they will have to come off. I will put them back on for daily use and protection.

If there is softness then its down to the quality of the filter itself, probably too thick.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123