Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    octarine and night86mare,

    i know that the lens without filter usually yield the best result...but i am always paranoid that it gets dirty, water stains, cracked by a flying pebble (no matter how remote that chance is). A hood can protect it from knocks and probably drops(?)...

    My lens all have a cheap tokina filter to shield it and sometimes, it gets water stains (i wonder where they come from?) and dust (dust is easy to rid with a blower though).

    Do you shoot without filters too?
    G

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    ...Or unscrew the filter when taking that shot.
    that sounds interesting.....but anything can happen within that short time u take to unscrew the filter...haha

    i am contemplating taking pictures without the filter though...
    G

  3. #23

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    octarine and night86mare,

    i know that the lens without filter usually yield the best result...but i am always paranoid that it gets dirty, water stains, cracked by a flying pebble (no matter how remote that chance is). A hood can protect it from knocks and probably drops(?)...

    My lens all have a cheap tokina filter to shield it and sometimes, it gets water stains (i wonder where they come from?) and dust (dust is easy to rid with a blower though).

    Do you shoot without filters too?
    i always shoot without filters, actually.

    i also don't know why i buy 77mm uv filter for my sigma 10-20..

    it comes off with the lens cap all the time. only when the lens is near seawater and i don't use gnd filter then i put uv on.

    all i can say is that.. if you are alert, all these will not happen. if you are sway and complacent, a filter might help. but the help is limited.

    i only have uv filter for 1 lens out of the 7 i have.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i always shoot without filters, actually.

    i also don't know why i buy 77mm uv filter for my sigma 10-20..

    it comes off with the lens cap all the time. only when the lens is near seawater and i don't use gnd filter then i put uv on.

    all i can say is that.. if you are alert, all these will not happen. if you are sway and complacent, a filter might help. but the help is limited.

    i only have uv filter for 1 lens out of the 7 i have.
    the uv filter comes off with the lens cap??? wow....the screw thread is screwed? (pardon the pun..)

    yah..given a careless person like me....also sometimes when i pass the camera to someone to hold, even with a hood on, i dunno how the person also can get his fingerprint on my filter...sigh....

    also cleaning a filter is less scary than cleaning the lens....at most scratch the filter only...haha
    G

  5. #25
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    i know that the lens without filter usually yield the best result...but i am always paranoid that it gets dirty, water stains, cracked by a flying pebble (no matter how remote that chance is). A hood can protect it from knocks and probably drops(?)...
    My lens all have a cheap tokina filter to shield it and sometimes, it gets water stains (i wonder where they come from?) and dust (dust is easy to rid with a blower though).

    Do you shoot without filters too?
    No filters for me. I admit that initially I followed the crowd and got my filters. But then it became troublesome always unscrewing the filter for CPL or the Tian Ya holder. Secondly, I noticed that cleaning the front element is easier than cleaning the Hoya filter. The coating of the lens is much better here. Next, I got my fair amount of flares in night scenes. All this makes me shooting without filter. I have a B+W at hand in case the conditions really get difficult (sea water). Also, I use the lens hood as protection and it did the job very well in two occasions where I got hard knocks at the lens. No need to get worried about dust, you won't notice in your pictures and 1min after blowing it's back.
    As night86mare said: be alert and careful - and I would add: trust your equipment. To make a comparison: do you take Panadol every morning to prevent possible headache?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Well, shooting with a filter attached is not always a bad thing. It's really a matter of compromise. Protection is a strong case for the use of a filter, so go for a filter if you truly value its protective qualities.

    When taking a shot with a filter on, you may then have to be wary of light-sources that may cause flares etc. In addition, the filter may cut down the amount of light entering the lens, so if you're shooting in low-light conditions and have exhausted all possibilities (max aperture, highest ISO etc), then think about the filter...

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Cheap filters tend to "haze-up" on their own after a couple of weeks. The better ones have a higher resistance to this. When you're shooting into light sources, the differences will be obvious. Cheap ones will tend to have all sorts of ghosting effects.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  8. #28
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Difference?

    Look through a Hoya Super-HMC and a Tokina filter. You'll see that the Hoya is almost invisible, while it's obvious that the Tokina one has a piece of glass in front. The glass really cannot be seen unless you shine light on it or look towards a light source.
    Ok, here is what I mean when I say that the glass is almost invisible. Because the Tokina filter reflects light, so you can see the reflection.

    Light source is on top right. This is not a scientific test. Just for fun. Exposure should be the same. The Hoya is 67mm while the Tokina is 58mm.

    Hoya HMC Super(right) and Tokina(left)





    Hoya HMC Super reflection




    Tokina reflection




    The Hoya one looks invisible right? You should go buy one and compare real life.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    for the first pic Hoya HMC Super(right) and Tokina(left) ??

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Ok, here is what I mean when I say that the glass is almost invisible. Because the Tokina filter reflects light, so you can see the reflection.

    Light source is on top right. This is not a scientific test. Just for fun. Exposure should be the same. The Hoya is 67mm while the Tokina is 58mm.

    Hoya HMC Super(right) and Tokina(left)





    Hoya HMC Super reflection




    Tokina reflection




    The Hoya one looks invisible right? You should go buy one and compare real life.
    wow...you really make the differences so visible.....could my filter be the reason why my images aren't very sharp? maybe i should take one with and one without....
    G

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Cheap filters tend to "haze-up" on their own after a couple of weeks. The better ones have a higher resistance to this. When you're shooting into light sources, the differences will be obvious. Cheap ones will tend to have all sorts of ghosting effects.
    my tokina "haze-up" or looks oily after a week or so...... thot it was the MC coating....haha now i know better
    G

  12. #32
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by dafansu View Post
    for the first pic Hoya HMC Super(right) and Tokina(left) ??
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    wow...you really make the differences so visible.....could my filter be the reason why my images aren't very sharp? maybe i should take one with and one without....
    Might be. The photos just show how the filters are resistant to reflection, which also roughly says about flaring and stuff. Personally, I found a slight difference in IQ between using a Tokina and Hoya HMC Super. Not sure if it's my thinking or something. But investing in something better than the Tokina would be good. Tokine is cheap, but it's essentially just a non multicoated (I believe) piece of glass.

    Try the Hoya HMC filter? But one thing, Hoya filters are pretty hard to clean.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by leeter View Post
    i experienced the difference when taking night scenes.

    using a normal filter, you'll get ghosting of the light sources.

    but with a Multi-coated filter, this can be avoided.

    currently now i use hoya HMC / nikon filters.
    I have experienced ghosting during night scene with a Hoya HMC filter.
    Maybe the light was just too strong... wonder how the same shot would turn out with a cheap filter.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    they are called filters for a reason: where it improves by cutting out stray UV light or improve on colours, imparting its own signature by reinforcing some and cutting out others. but nothing comes for free so the accepting the tradeoff is entirely up to you.

    protection is secondary for filters, but it does a good job keeping our stuff, and again there is the tradeoff.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    i use a B+W UV Haze MRC filter. When i look through the filter it is as if there is no glass on the filter. When i compare to my cheap kenko filter i can see reflection. same as in this comparison.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

  16. #36

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    another set of example of tokina vs B+W

    http://cid-6283cd5b0b135202.skydrive...5B0B135202!222

  17. #37

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    the uv filter comes off with the lens cap??? wow....the screw thread is screwed? (pardon the pun..)

    yah..given a careless person like me....also sometimes when i pass the camera to someone to hold, even with a hood on, i dunno how the person also can get his fingerprint on my filter...sigh....

    also cleaning a filter is less scary than cleaning the lens....at most scratch the filter only...haha
    no i unscrew it.. most of the time

    unless lazy

  18. #38

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    same same....unless the location/weather really requires the use of disposable filters.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    same same....unless the location/weather really requires the use of disposable filters.
    disposable???
    G

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Difference between a good filter and a normal filter

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Ok, here is what I mean when I say that the glass is almost invisible. Because the Tokina filter reflects light, so you can see the reflection.

    Light source is on top right. This is not a scientific test. Just for fun. Exposure should be the same. The Hoya is 67mm while the Tokina is 58mm.

    [CENTER]Hoya HMC Super(right) and Tokina(left)

    Wow, that is one incredibly worn out keyboard.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •