Thread: Autofocus on E420

Default Autofocus on E420

hi all,

a noob question - when am using autofocus and flash, some times the camera will be unable to focus and the flash will just continuously go off. i am not sure what is going on here but it is most probably some thing i am doing wrong.

would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Default Re: Autofocus on E420

is the area where you're focusing at dark? the flash fires off to assist the camera in finding the focus.

should be the case, correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    is the area where you're focusing at dark? the flash fires off to assist the camera in finding the focus.

should be the case, correct me if i'm wrong.
    you're right,it's the focus assist light,in Nikon and Canon cameras usually will be a small light,in every camera from Olympus except E-1,all of them use strobs from the built in flash
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

no, it's not very dark.

i figured it's some thing to do with autofocus because when i change the setting to manual focus, it's fine and i don't have this problem

it's the AF illuminator. u can find the function in ur menu and turn it off.

i am an olympus user myself and i find the strobe light irritating. it IS used to assist auto-focusing when the surrounding environment is not bright enough.

i personally always set the AF illuminator off unless i am using an external flash, as the ext flash unit uses a more discreet red LED-like light to assist in auto-focusing.
    E500, ZD14-45, ZD40-150 MK I, 30 f1.4, FL50R

Quote Originally Posted by dardaa View Post
    no, it's not very dark.

i figured it's some thing to do with autofocus because when i change the setting to manual focus, it's fine and i don't have this problem
    what is not dark to us is dark to the camera,i know it's irritating,worse is if you're taking babies and you forget that that is turned on,the baby will be scared of flash for the rest of his/her life
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"