Thread: Silcon Gel vs Dry Cabinet

Default Silcon Gel vs Dry Cabinet

Whats the difference using a box with silcon gel vs Dry Cabinet?
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Default Re: Silcon Gel vs Dry Cabinet

You dun have to worry so much when using an electric dry box. If you are using silica gel, you prob have to dry them every week.

Wink Re: Silcon Gel vs Dry Cabinet

easy word to say is using box not much item you can keep in and must replace the Gel most of time , as for Dry Cabi AHC or DHC once you get the right RH% 40-55% you can just left it there is import for Camera and lens it will alot you to put more thing as you go along more item you will buy and much safer from Fugus and come with 5 yrs warranty
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

hey man
    i'm currently using a drybox and i have to change the silica gel almost every time i take out!
    somehow when i put my camera in, the RH goes super high and slowly goes down.. and all beads turn red.. then have to change again..

i think its more worth it to get a dry cabinet

unless you want portability.. like im buying it so i can bring to europe since i'll be there for a looooong time..

Quote Originally Posted by winzee View Post
    hey man
    i'm currently using a drybox and i have to change the silica gel almost every time i take out!
    somehow when i put my camera in, the RH goes super high and slowly goes down.. and all beads turn red.. then have to change again..

i think its more worth it to get a dry cabinet

unless you want portability.. like im buying it so i can bring to europe since i'll be there for a looooong time..
    Perhaps I can help shed some light here.... Here's a shortened "scientific" explanation.....

- Plastics are permeable material : they might hold water and seem airtight, but really, the moisture in the air permeates through. Ever tried putting a dehusked durian inside a tupperware (supposedly airtight) and leaving it in the fridge ? Guarantee that the fridge will smell like gas (cold Durian) the next day.

- Moisture takes about a day plus a couple of hours to permeate thru PC (PolyCarbonate) 1/4 inch thick : PC is used commonly for sunglasses and spectacle lenses. Think about other "lesser" plastics.....

- So the conclusion is that anything that exist in a gaseous (Vapour) state will be able to permeate thru plastic containers given time. Water(Includes Water Vapour & Humidity) is bipolar and way worse when it comes to permeating thru plastic surfaces.

- Drybox won't stay dry too long even if you do not open it

*Footnote : I don't sell Dry Cabs.
    Snap ?

am i right to say that i must switch on the electricity for the dry cabinet everyday or when it reach certain reading i can switch it off
    Last edited by dafansu; 9th December 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dafansu View Post
    am i right to say that i must switch on the electricity for the dry cabinet everyday or when it reach certain reading i can switch it off
    Yes. Keep it on. The wattage of the dry cabinet is really quite low anyway.

mmm Thank u all for ur kind inputs.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

any place where i can get a cabinet that's less than 30l, prefer a smaller version, i saw one at jusco JB about half the size of 30litre, but cost about S$105 which i feel is rather expensive

Quote Originally Posted by dafansu View Post
    any place where i can get a cabinet that's less than 30l, prefer a smaller version, i saw one at jusco JB about half the size of 30litre, but cost about S$105 which i feel is rather expensive
    Erm, economies of scale ? Bigger becomes cheaper per litre I suppose. I was told by someone the prices for DigiCabi seems to suggest that the 70L or 80L gives the lowest cost per litre of volume. But, u really should just buy what you need.
    Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Erm, economies of scale ? Bigger becomes cheaper per litre I suppose. I was told by someone the prices for DigiCabi seems to suggest that the 70L or 80L gives the lowest cost per litre of volume. But, u really should just buy what you need.
    I think my mom will scream if i bring back a extra furniture which she does not approve lol

if i am always using my camera on a daily basis , is it necessary i need to put my cam into the dry box or i can leave in my cam bag?

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    if i am always using my camera on a daily basis , is it necessary i need to put my cam into the dry box or i can leave in my cam bag?
    Best to be in a dry cab. But if u dont have one, then settle for a dry box.... better than nothing.
    Snap ?

I think my mom will scream if i bring back a extra furniture which she does not approve lol
    LOL. I can imagine the same situation for a number of us staying in HDB, or even condo.

mmm... would like to check out one thing. If I'm going to a cold country for 11 days. Is it better to get a dry box? or just any container and put silica/silicon gel?

Whats the difference using a box with silcon gel vs Dry Cabinet?
    i recommend one shot go for dry box. its basically a necessity if you have a lot of camera kit that dont carry out often.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by hazelng View Post
    mmm... would like to check out one thing. If I'm going to a cold country for 11 days. Is it better to get a dry box? or just any container and put silica/silicon gel?
    Ask yourself this question. If somebody advice you to bring along your dry box to this cold country for 11 days only, do you want to carry along?

My advice to you is that just keep it in your camera bag for that 11 days. Furthermore, normally cold country has lower RH. So do not worry.

I use daily... but a dry cabinet is a good protection for the pieces I dun bring out.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

IC. Thanks for the advice. Hahaz. Then no need to bring big bag small bag ard.

Quote Originally Posted by nice1888 View Post
    Ask yourself this question. If somebody advice you to bring along your dry box to this cold country for 11 days only, do you want to carry along?

My advice to you is that just keep it in your camera bag for that 11 days. Furthermore, normally cold country has lower RH. So do not worry.

Quote Originally Posted by hazelng View Post
    Just put it in your cam bag will do..... Hassle to bring a dry box n I dont think that's a practical thing. I wouldnt lug ard a dry box if I were out on vacation or work with my cam really.

If you don't feel good about it, you can get a silica pack and dump some silica gel in it and carry it inside your bag. I do that with my cam bag sometimes but please realise that it's prob a feel good thing.... aha..... Now, why do I even bother ? Hmmmm....
    Snap ?