Thread: Is digital zoom usable

Default Is digital zoom usable

any comment if digital zoom for current camera is usable or how much of image quality is lost assuming a 2x digital zoom on a 8mp picture as compared to the same zoom factor but using optical zoom instead.
    Thanks for any info

Default Re: Is digital zoom usable

then u get a photo that is technically 4mp.

2x digital zoom is just like cropping 1/2 of the photo and then enlarging it again. quality is halved.
    E500, ZD14-45, ZD40-150 MK I, 30 f1.4, FL50R

i suppose if i take a photo @ 8mp then use digital zoom of 2x to get the zoom range but printed on small print say 4r will i notice visible quality drop? cos 8mp is already too much detail for small print like 4r so unless i pixel-peep the quality should not be noticable right?

Quote Originally Posted by kababoom View Post
    i suppose if i take a photo @ 8mp then use digital zoom of 2x to get the zoom range but printed on small print say 4r will i notice visible quality drop? cos 8mp is already too much detail for small print like 4r so unless i pixel-peep the quality should not be noticable right?
    The only way to know for certain is of course to try it first hand. If you are happy with the results, okay-lah.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by kababoom View Post
    any comment if digital zoom for current camera is usable or how much of image quality is lost assuming a 2x digital zoom on a 8mp picture as compared to the same zoom factor but using optical zoom instead.
    Thanks for any info
    Why not? Even professional series cameras like D2X and D3 has it... Of course, it's called by a different name.. The one on D2X is called "High speed crop" and the one on D3 is called "DX crop" both gives a roughly 1.33x and 1.5x 'digital zoom' respectively.

somehow, i prefer to do the cropping on the computer... i dunno, i just perceive the quality loss as lesser ...
    E500, ZD14-45, ZD40-150 MK I, 30 f1.4, FL50R

Personally, I do not use digital zoom as it degrades the picture quality. I turn off that function on my P5100. It really is nothing more than cropping my optically zoomed pic
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog