Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

  1. #1

    Default tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    seems that when times are bad, i receive more and more calls from tele-marketeers.

    my work is busy, and when my phone rings, and its by someone whom i dunno, and trying to pitch some "good deals" to me, i get very irritated. jus feel like screaming into the mouth piece and make him/her deaf (of course i dun do tat). but after i identified tat as a nuisance call, i jus hang up w/o saying anything.

    i understand that they are also making a living, but receiving a few of such calls a day dun exactly makes me feel good. somemore, i dun ve free incoming.

    so, wats your experience w these ppl.

    *btw, i receive the most from companies acting on behalf of HSBC.

  2. #2

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    No I don;t hate them

    They're humans just trying to make a living like all of us ...

    I just tell them nicely but firmly I'm not interested, and if they persist, I say I'm sorry (and mean it) and hang up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    i agree with dm, but sometimes, they called at wrong timing, so get abit irritated by them.

    its a honest job, not a very pleasent one, but one has to eat.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  4. #4

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    OOPS!

  5. #5

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Once had a telemarketer calling me. Told me that she's with the society for the blind working on a program with companyX. Look like they are now playing on your sense of pity.

  6. #6

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    so what if they have to make a living.
    telemarketing is one of those forms of marketing that irritate 1000 people for every 1 person they reach

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,514

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    they're just doing their job, so there's no need to be rude about it. how would you like it if someone just hung up on you abruptly?

    usually they will end the call when they know i'm not interested. or when i start asking them if i can interest them in a mainframe because we're having a promo now?
    haha
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  8. #8

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Just say

    1)sorry
    2)not interested
    3)thank you

    Its not difficult, not need to be rude or hate them. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes- knowing that somebody is waiting to scold them with every number they dial.

  9. #9

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Usually i will mention im not interested and hang up.

    Everyone understands they are just people making a living, they got to understand
    we are just people who don't like such calls. So fair's fair.

    Some really persistent (annoying) ones make repeated calls, hang up repeatedly.
    If really persistent, there's a function on hp called "divert".

    "Is there a better time to call you?"

    Nope, usually they call at unappropriate timings. Most of the time they don't check
    the financial background of the person they call. What's the point of insisting purchase of etc etc plan when that person couldn't afford it or already have a plan with another company.

    Oh yah...i never scold them...ever. I don't see the point of scolding someone over the phone, doesnt change anybody's life.
    Last edited by sbs99; 9th December 2008 at 10:47 AM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,374

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    my mom best, can chat with them somemore... too bored i think...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    my mom best, can chat with them somemore... too bored i think...
    ahahaha POWER!

    For me I just say not interested and thank them for calling.
    They need to make a living too la so be nice to them also

    But there's once, some bank promotion thing telemarketer called,
    got pretty pissed off cause they are promoting some gold card thing
    and i say "sorry my annual doesn't meet the requirement" he just
    continue to talk and talk talk talk .... i actually had to say the same
    thing 3 times before he got it and said "oh your annual income doesn't
    meet?" and i said "yes. that's what i've been telling you 3 times already"
    sometimes they really have to listen instead of just blabbering away.

  12. #12

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    That one not so bad ... you remember the one where this guy pretended to be the feds doing a murder investigation and started interrogating the tele-marketer?

    But here the thing ... what if one day, we end up in that position ... having to work as tele-marketers? No doubt, some of the better-off ones may think 'Noooo, I will NEVER work as a ____________' but you never know what fate holds in store for you ...

    Oh, there is one thing much worse than a deaf tele-marketer; one that knows nuts even if you're interested in the product they're promoting! By co-incidence, they're usually also the deaf ones that really do not hear your questions about the product.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,374

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    That one not so bad ... you remember the one where this guy pretended to be the feds doing a murder investigation and started interrogating the tele-marketer?

    But here the thing ... what if one day, we end up in that position ... having to work as tele-marketers? No doubt, some of the better-off ones may think 'Noooo, I will NEVER work as a ____________' but you never know what fate holds in store for you ...

    Oh, there is one thing much worse than a deaf tele-marketer; one that knows nuts even if you're interested in the product they're promoting! By co-incidence, they're usually also the deaf ones that really do not hear your questions about the product.
    eh my mom good leh, can talk until like friends, invite them over, sign on package, lol...

    the problem with me not wasting time with promoters is sometimes i know more than the promoters...

    like the recent sitex... there is this student at philips, promo like promoting his bad luck and such... so i told him, can you sell your product to me, make me wanna buy? then he can't, so i moved on...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,126

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i agree with dm, but sometimes, they called at wrong timing, so get abit irritated by them.

    its a honest job, not a very pleasent one, but one has to eat.
    Yup...I believe they have mileage to clock too.....so normally I'll let them have a chance to complete their sales talk...it probably took 1 to 2 minutes....then politely say no and most of the time the call will end nicely

  15. #15
    Member Papilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    eh my mom good leh, can talk until like friends, invite them over, sign on package, lol...
    Maybe get your mom to turn the tables on them. Sell them something back.

  16. #16

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    just tell them youre a student. works for me all the time.

  17. #17

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    so what if they have to make a living.
    telemarketing is one of those forms of marketing that irritate 1000 people for every 1 person they reach
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No I don;t hate them

    They're humans just trying to make a living like all of us ...

    I just tell them nicely but firmly I'm not interested, and if they persist, I say I'm sorry (and mean it) and hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i agree with dm, but sometimes, they called at wrong timing, so get abit irritated by them.

    its a honest job, not a very pleasent one, but one has to eat.
    Honest job no doubt... by I view this as similar to spamming.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  18. #18
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,905

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    ahahaha POWER!

    For me I just say not interested and thank them for calling.
    They need to make a living too la so be nice to them also

    But there's once, some bank promotion thing telemarketer called,
    got pretty pissed off cause they are promoting some gold card thing
    and i say "sorry my annual doesn't meet the requirement" he just
    continue to talk and talk talk talk .... i actually had to say the same
    thing 3 times before he got it and said "oh your annual income doesn't
    meet?" and i said "yes. that's what i've been telling you 3 times already"
    sometimes they really have to listen instead of just blabbering away.
    Sometimes the telemarketer talks so fast like a tape recorder I seriously can't make out a word she's saying.
    Last edited by redstone; 9th December 2008 at 03:00 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    eh but you know there are the ones that call from china right? do you guys get those?

  20. #20

    Default Re: tele-marketeers/cold callers, do u hate them?

    Dont hate them as I used to cold call during my early days as sales person. They have heard "Not interested" way too many times.

    I just politely tell them now they called me at a wrong time (99% true) and requested them to call me back at a specific time which I am very certain I will not be in to answer or ask my colleague or secretary to filter the call if they really calls back . Mostly took me about 30 sec for them to abort. Rarely you will get a very persistent telemarketer today. They have so many prospect to call. 9 out 10 rarely calls back. They will get the signal. It works for me so far. No screaming, no shouting and my blood pressure stays healthy. Anyone ask me to buy financial product, I just tell them I am from Malaysia, not even PR and will be here for two months or going back next week for good. Better go disturb someone else. So far so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •