Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Grainy photos taken

  1. #1

    Question Grainy photos taken

    Hi all,

    Good day!

    When I take photos in dim lights conditions (e.g. in a restaurant), I notice that my photos will turn out to be grainy. May I know how to fix that, or if that can be fixed at all?

    My setup is usually D300 with 35mm F2 or 28mm F2.8. Both AF.
    I use Aperture Priority and with ISO of 200~400.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Cheers.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by xintiandi View Post
    Hi all,

    Good day!

    When I take photos in dim lights conditions (e.g. in a restaurant), I notice that my photos will turn out to be grainy. May I know how to fix that, or if that can be fixed at all?

    My setup is usually D300 with 35mm F2 or 28mm F2.8. Both AF.
    I use Aperture Priority and with ISO of 200~400.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Cheers.
    can post picture?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Check if your Auto ISO is on in the first place. The camera could have automatically pushed the ISO up if this was turned on. I doubt the D300 would perform so poorly at ISOs 200-400.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    it should be called grain right?

    digitally speaking, it's noise.

    when shooting film, it's called grain.

    anyway, try pumping up the iso to 800?

    what are the exposure times of your shots?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Check if your Auto ISO is on in the first place. The camera could have automatically pushed the ISO up if this was turned on. I doubt the D300 would perform so poorly at ISOs 200-400.

    I agree. You should have set to Auto ISO. Turn it off and try again ba~
    Nikon D700|D70IR : NIKON 14-24 f2.8 : NIKON 24-70 f2.8

  6. #6

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Hi,

    Thanks all for replies.

    1. Nope, my auto ISO is already set to "OFF".

    2. Well, the photos look "grainy" to me so I should call it as noisy?

    3. May I know how I can upload my photo. Do i have to upload it to somewhere else and then copy the link? Any direct way to do so?

    Sorry, am not call a "newbie" for nothing.

    Thanks again

  7. #7

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    you can upload your photos to flickr or tinypic then use the [img]URL [/img] to embed it in here.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by xintiandi View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks all for replies.

    1. Nope, my auto ISO is already set to "OFF".

    2. Well, the photos look "grainy" to me so I should call it as noisy?

    3. May I know how I can upload my photo. Do i have to upload it to somewhere else and then copy the link? Any direct way to do so?

    Sorry, am not call a "newbie" for nothing.

    Thanks again
    There are stickies at the top of the newbie forum which will teach you how to post pictures here.
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    For areas of dark contrast noise will still show up even if using low iso, use photoshop or noise ninja if you still find it unacceptable

  10. #10

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by xintiandi View Post
    Hi all,

    Good day!

    When I take photos in dim lights conditions (e.g. in a restaurant), I notice that my photos will turn out to be grainy. May I know how to fix that, or if that can be fixed at all?

    My setup is usually D300 with 35mm F2 or 28mm F2.8. Both AF.
    I use Aperture Priority and with ISO of 200~400.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Cheers.
    TS,
    how bad is the grain? Why not upload or link a photo for more productive discussion?
    I wonder how bad the grain a D300 would porduce with a F2 or F2.8 lens in a restaurant.
    Could it be an expectation issue?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    I won't rule out the possibility that TS is shooting in RAW perhaps? Maybe noise reduction is completely off. But I don't suppose D300 can perform that badly.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    In dark environments especially, shooting at higher isos can still reveal noise especially if you underexposed and tried to pull details from shadows post priocessing and stretching the limits of your raw file.

    Ryan

  13. #13

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Hi, sample photo taken at Hard Rock Cafe Singapore during lunch.
    Shot with ISO 400, D300 with lens 35mm F2.

    If there's anything that can be done to reduce the noise, pls let me know?

    Thanks all.

    Last edited by xintiandi; 9th December 2008 at 10:32 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    I won't rule out the possibility that TS is shooting in RAW perhaps? Maybe noise reduction is completely off. But I don't suppose D300 can perform that badly.
    Hi, nope, am not shooting in RAW...not at that standard yet

  15. #15

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by xintiandi View Post
    Hi, sample photo taken at Hard Rock Cafe Singapore during lunch.
    Shot with ISO 400, D300 with lens 35mm F2.

    If there's anything that can be done to reduce the noise, pls let me know?

    Thanks all.

    That looks really, unusually bad! Can you post the EXIF data for the picture please?
    Alpha

  16. #16

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That looks really, unusually bad! Can you post the EXIF data for the picture please?
    Does this help?

    amera: Nikon D300
    Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
    Aperture: f/2
    Focal Length: 35 mm
    ISO Speed: 400
    Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

    X-Resolution: 240 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 240 dpi
    Software: Ver.1.10
    Date and Time: 2008:12:07 14:26:16
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Date and Time (Original): 2008:12:06 15:42:28
    Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:12:06 15:42:28
    Shutter Speed: 5906891/1000000
    Maximum Lens Aperture: 20/10
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Light Source: Shade
    Sub-Second Time (Original): 42
    Sub-Second Time (Digitized): 42
    Sensing Method: One-chip colour area sensor
    CFA Pattern: RED GREEN GREEN BLUE
    White Balance: Manual
    Digital Zoom Ratio: 1/1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 52
    Gain Control: Low gain up

  17. #17

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    did you save in low quality JPEG? It looks weird... and +0.6 EV? yet the subject looks under-exposed.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    X-Resolution: 240 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 240 dpi

    Please shoot in higher resolution (at least 5 mpix for reasonable quality).
    and fine quality (if not selected yet)
    Last edited by sin77; 10th December 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  19. #19

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Hello, I'm also new here but here's my 2 cents worth...
    Image looks like it's underexposed. My D300 behaves in the same way if I underexpose an image so I usually use manual mode indoors to have a better control of exposure. I will probably use spot metering on the subject to make sure I correctly expose the subject.
    Cheers.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Grainy photos taken

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    X-Resolution: 240 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 240 dpi

    Please shoot in higher resolution (at least 5 mpix for reasonable quality).
    and fine quality (if not selected yet)
    What on earth leads you to believe that the dpi setting of a camera = resolution?
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •