Thread: If you have 50,000 images of relatives ......

Default If you have 50,000 images of relatives ......

The past few years, most of your relatives and friends know that you shoot well, use a pro cam and some L lens, and maybe got a few prizes from public competitions, etc, and you are almost always expected to be the "official photographer" for any family/friends gatherings and events, and without realizing it you should have by now tens of thousand of images of your uncles, aunties, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, grandma, etc.........

You probably have given them some prints but still many of these images are unseen by most of them, and are stored in your DVD, HD, etc....

You probably realize that not a single one of them are interested to see all those images, except probably those of they themselves or someone they have interests in, or are just curious about how they looked the last time, etc....

Images are so easy to capture, and you also realize that many of your relatives are also shooting now, and some of them are now using DSLR and they also have tens of thousand of images

Will you still be interested to be the "official photographer" in a big family gathering when you know there will be another 5 photographers shooting almost anything, any moment,etc... of you simply "forget" to bring your cam?

What do you plan to do with all these images?
    always the Light, .... always.

Default Re: If you have 50,000 images of relatives ......

errmmm burn and keep it somewhere ??

i don't usually shoot people. that includes relatives. immediate family another story.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't usually shoot people. that includes relatives. immediate family another story.
    How about yourself?

You shoot yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How about yourself?

You shoot yourself?
    eeyer.

got so many better things to shoot leh.

cat > me

eeyer.

got so many better things to shoot leh.

cat > me
    You forgot TOY SNAKES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You forgot TOY SNAKES!!!
    shoot toy snake ftw

shoot toy snake ftw
    u 4got your shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    u 4got your shoes...
    and hairy legs..

You forgot TOY SNAKES!!!
    .....and the little red dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    What do you plan to do with all these images?
    Hmm guess if its me, I would limit myself to the best 3 photos of each relative at most and give to them and delete everything else~ though may have taken alot of nice photos, i'll just preserve the best in terms of feeling etc, besides quantity isn't everything right
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

cat > me

and hairy legs..
    Shoot hairy toy snake wearing shoes?

Shoot hairy toy snake wearing shoes?
    Ewww.... hairy toy snake ? Sounds bad.
    Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Will you still be interested to be the "official photographer" in a big family gathering when you know there will be another 5 photographers shooting almost anything, any moment,etc... of you simply "forget" to bring your cam?
    Be the 'official photographer' and miss the fun.. no thanks.
    once was scolded for me being 'official photographer' and how can I sit down to take a rest/drink.... Hey I paied the red packet for my family at this banquet and shoot as official photographer!!! what sort of deal is that!?

I don't usually shoot people too. Since we have something in common, is that why i brighten your day, night and wee hours?
    Last edited by cowmera; 13th December 2008 at 02:19 AM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How about yourself?

You shoot yourself?
    He is practicing. One day he will be better than your idol. He will be able to shoot himself and others well.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Frankly speaking, I don't shoot for relatives.

Family.... Well, I'll give them tips. Den they use their own camera to shoot with their own hands. They can learn something out of it instead of just depending on me-me-me. I'm not immortal, and there are freak accidents every damn day somewhere out there on Planet Earth, that's a morbid fact.

The only time where I'll be 'official photographer' is during overseas (where its certainly 'u can only get a hit, not a miss') with any of my family members and I'm sure those photos are the ones they'll appreciate looking at.

The problem with having DSLRs these days is that the value of photos had been cheapened. Look at it this way, the old days, u just get and is forced to choose to shoot the best of ur 36 or 38 shots out of the good ol' 36 shot film. One will tend to choose the best angle, get a single hit (or a miss) and holding the hardcopy photo in your hand, no matter how badly taken it was, u remise nostalgically on how it was taken or the scenario you went thru to take it.

These days, memory cards are dime-a-dozen. How many of you keep hearing, "Aiyah, memory card mah. Free one. Dun have to develop. Just in case, shoot 1 more." It had degraded to the point where unless one is serious about the entire hobby, people getting DSLRs won't be bothered and keep using the above words to a point where they fired off thousands and thousands of shots and can't remember the circumstances which you had taken the shot and thus losing the entire meaning behind the photo.

This is one reason why I do not buy CFs these days even though I can shoot more. I juz grab my 3x 1GB CF, shoot in raw and get just about 100 best images off my holidays rather than shooting a thousand meaningless but technically superior shots. I want to shoot memories NOT play with depth of field or things like that in my trip. I can have plenty of chances to do the latter in my room in Singapore. Going overseas to shoot 'technically superior' shots without an ounce of feeling, meaning or memory behind it is a perfect waste of money.
    Last edited by jsbn; 13th December 2008 at 10:14 AM.