Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kung fu fighting~

Default Re: Kung fu fighting~

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    tae kwon do seems to b the most popular art nowadays in sg judging from what is seen in hdb areas followed by the various types of kung fu.

hardly seen is karate and judo which were the more popular arts of decades ago. karate and judo is also hardly seen in public demonstration.

silat is a "compulsory" show during malay weddings. very graceful art.

indian art is not common.

muay thai popularity is surging ahead. good (effective or easy to learn?) art or good marketing as a result of thai movies?
    Well TKD seems to be the most accessible, as well as the least physically demanding of the lot, but thats based on my impression of it only, as i've never actually wached a full training session. i'd say wushu is the next most common one.

Karate is still quite common, but less so as compared to 10 years ago, if the numbers at my dojo are anything to go by.

the popularity of muay thai can be attributed to movies and the rise of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), which many people associate with muay thai. I don't know whether it's easy to learn, but I'd say all bare handed martial arts are effective, else they wouldn't still be arnd.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Don't forget the Kung Fu Panda!

Blog Entries

muay thai popularity is surging ahead. good (effective or easy to learn?) art or good marketing as a result of thai movies?
    muay thai is popular cos of the celeb factor, i guess. the one at turf city got a few TCS stars attending, so said my sis-in-law who goes there.

does anyone know where i can learn wing chun in the western part of our island? been wanting to pick up some martial arts as exercise. can't do TKD anymore cos of my knee injuries...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    muay thai is popular cos of the celeb factor, i guess. the one at turf city got a few TCS stars attending, so said my sis-in-law who goes there.

does anyone know where i can learn wing chun in the western part of our island? been wanting to pick up some martial arts as exercise. can't do TKD anymore cos of my knee injuries...
    then how to take up wing chun?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    then how to take up wing chun?
    wing chun is close-quarter hand-fighting, rite?

as long as i dun have to jump, i think it's fine bah...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

wing chun is close-quarter hand-fighting, rite?

as long as i dun have to jump, i think it's fine bah...
    oic... onli cannot jump.

then depends on how far you wan to go in wing chung... IIRC you still need hip and leg power to maximise your punches.

at least no jumping reverse kicking....

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Fellow Fungfu fighters,

Have you ever caught a fly with chosticks?

Too much Kung Fu Panda ?
    Snap ?

Qigong?
    As in pass wind ?
    Snap ?

For carrying fruits?
    Who the heck is gg to eat the fruits afterwards man ? Sheesh, better wash off the curly hairs.
    Snap ?

[QUOTE=Quest;4589630]tae kwon do seems to b the most popular art nowadays in sg judging from what is seen in hdb areas followed by the various types of kung fu.
    [QUOTE]

Beg to differ. I think tai chi more common. Not only is it practised widely at many work places, there's also the bunch of our more experienced citizens doing it every morning at community centres and community clubs. Even infiltrated into the Botanic Gardens on weekend mornings as long as the weather is good.

xiiii..... hooooo...... xiiii........ hoooooo....... xiiiii........ hoooooooo !
    Snap ?

Wing Chung not some 90s pop group meh ? I am confused. Hahah....
    Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post

Beg to differ. I think tai chi more common. Not only is it practised widely at many work places, there's also the bunch of our more experienced citizens doing it every morning at community centres and community clubs. Even infiltrated into the Botanic Gardens on weekend mornings as long as the weather is good.

xiiii..... hooooo...... xiiii........ hoooooo....... xiiiii........ hoooooooo !
    Tink u mixed tai chi and qi gong liao.

Wing Chung not some 90s pop group meh ? I am confused. Hahah....
    wing chun's greatest master is Yip Mun who is also the teacher of the legendary Bruce Lee. this art stress on the economy of movement and the specialty is the art of sticking hands.

another new art - Brazilian Gracie Jujitsu reportedly defeated many other styles in a no-holds barred contest >10yrs ago still doesnt have a dojo here. any gracieka here?

Hahaha..... one not the derivative of the other ? No ? Hmmm, come to think of it, I think you are right. Then tai chi still tops in # of ppl practising I am sure..... all the working ppl ?

Hehehehe....... but frankly, I wake up to the lovely sounds of xi and hus every morning.
    Snap ?

agree with u. i forgot abt tai chi which is easily the most visible art every morning in most basketball courts island wide and in void decks on rainy mornings. some also use cassette players/cd for their movements just like aerobics.

another new art - Brazilian Gracie Jujitsu reportedly defeated many other styles in a no-holds barred contest >10yrs ago still doesnt have a dojo here. any gracieka here?
    I'd use a gun

Then tai chi still tops in # of ppl practising I am sure..... all the working ppl ?
    hahaha... very true (unfortunately)..

hahaha... very true (unfortunately)..
    Yeah, irritates the hell outta me. If someone wanna pass the buck, they should attached the salary bucks together. I'd be more than happy to be the "Buck-stops-here" guy.

Heh heh heh.
    Snap ?

I also practice lohan qigong
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Hehehehe....... but frankly, I wake up to the lovely sounds of xi and hus every morning.
    Who is the lucky gal?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast