Thread: It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead

Arrow It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead

Doctors in Arizona thought a Phoenix-area woman had a possible brain tumor, but it turned out there was something else penetrating her brain – a worm.

Rosemary Alvarez started experiencing numbness in her arm and blurred vision. She went to the emergency room twice and had a cat scan, but everything came up clear, MyFOXPhoenix.com reported.

It wasn’t until doctors took a closer look at an MRI that they discovered something very disturbing.

“Once we saw the MRI we realized this is something not good,” neurosurgeon, Dr. Peter Nakaji told the news station. “It's something down in her brain stem which is as deep in the brain as you can be.”

Alvarez was wheeled into surgery where Nakaji and his colleagues were expecting to remove a tumor, but they uncovered a worm instead.

On a video of the surgery, Nakaji can be heard chuckling after he made the discovery.
    “I'm sure this is a very strange response for the people in the operating room,” he told MyFOXPhoenix.com. “But because I was so pleased to know that it wasn't going to be something terrible.”

Doctors removed the worm and don't believe Alvarez will have any lingering health problems. No one knows exactly where she picked up the worm –- doctors said worms can come from eating undercooked pork or spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report.

“It only takes one person who is spreading it constantly to get a lot of people exposed and some of those people are going to go on to develop this problem,” Nakaji said.

Alvarez, who is now healthy and has resumed normal activities such a playing ball with family in her backyard, said she hopes people learn this lesson from her story.
    “Wash your hands, wash your hands,” she added.

Video

http://media2.foxnews.com/112008/worm_tumor_700.wmv

Default Re: It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead

I like the part of the article that mentioned "doctors said worms can come from eating undercooked pork or spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report." and the following came shortly after "Wash your hands, wash your hands,” she added. Now we know why.

I remember Arnold Schwartz**** saying that line in a movie, "It's not a tooma" to some kid in a class room

I would not like my "brain" to be where some worms are known to inflict a person
    Last edited by Pablo; 6th December 2008 at 07:31 PM.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Sounds like just another bot fly larvae being sensationalised. Fairly common occurance

Example: (Warning! EEWww factor and graphic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5muVjcQ6zHM
    Last edited by dennisc; 6th December 2008 at 07:51 PM.

its real. i read some medical reports recently on this case...

apparently true enough. u can grow woms in ur brains...

She had neurocysticercosis or tapeworm infection i think.
    It was featured on the House MD tv series, way back in season 1. Imagine worms swimming around in your brain ... disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by drabsinthe View Post
    She had neurocysticercosis or tapeworm infection i think.
    It was featured on the House MD tv series, way back in season 1. Imagine worms swimming around in your brain ... disgusting.
    wait till u see the real video of the worm extraction...

makes u wanna turn into a vegetarian...

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    wait till u see the real video of the worm extraction...

makes u wanna turn into a vegetarian...
    i tot veggies oso got worms, just different oni?

Careful with sashimi as well..those tiny fine wriggling worms can stay in the body. I love sashimi, now give up for good. Anything raw is bad.

Eh.... LOSTED! how to develop worms?? And even if can develop worms, the worms can live meh?? Dun need oxygen?? And wat they feed on?? Your brains??

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Eh.... LOSTED! how to develop worms?? And even if can develop worms, the worms can live meh?? Dun need oxygen?? And wat they feed on?? Your brains??
    The parasitic worms are present in the flesh/organs of animals such as pork, beef, fish. So when you eat undercooked food the tapeworms gets into your intestinal tract. The worms can lay eggs and the subsequent larvae can invade into the bloodstream and travel to other parts of the human body ie. brain.

They are parasites so they kinda suck nutrients from our tissues. They do not actually eat away at our body.

Quote Originally Posted by drabsinthe View Post
    The parasitic worms are present in the flesh/organs of animals such as pork, beef, fish. So when you eat undercooked food the tapeworms gets into your intestinal tract. The worms can lay eggs and the subsequent larvae can invade into the bloodstream and travel to other parts of the human body ie. brain.

They are parasites so they kinda suck nutrients from our tissues. They do not actually eat away at our body.
    Oic, interesting.... Then sashimi safe to eat??? i have been eating alot of it....

no idea if you can get tapeworm infection from sashimi. i eat alot of sashimi and sushi as well and i dun think i have tapeworms ..... or at least i hope not lol.

I eat sashimi and rare steak all the time... oops... *sweats*