Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac Pro

Default Re: Mac Pro

eh relack la. The Mac pro is a good choice and it can still run windows Just rmb the rams for mac pros are different from the standard ddr2 rams as many have pointed out. The graphic card u can buy multiples of them and use the ati crossfire interface to link them if im not mistaken.(not very sure. Dun own a mac pro.)

64 bit native windows os have been available for a long time if i dun recall wrongly. Tiger and leopard are native too. I dun really see the difference to warrant the arguments.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    eh relack la. The Mac pro is a good choice and it can still run windows Just rmb the rams for mac pros are different from the standard ddr2 rams as many have pointed out. The graphic card u can buy multiples of them and use the ati crossfire interface to link them if im not mistaken.(not very sure. Dun own a mac pro.)

64 bit native windows os have been available for a long time if i dun recall wrongly. Tiger and leopard are native too. I dun really see the difference to warrant the arguments.
    Graphic cards on the mac can't be bought off the shelf for DIYing. But you can built to order from Apple. Honestly, graphic cards doesn't do much on a Mac unless you need 2 dual link DVI to run double 30 inch apple display. The 8 core can crunch through most of your task.

You say why the need for 64bit? Add 4 gigs of ram in your system and do a right click on your 32bit window's My Computer's properties. Does it utilize all 4? This is a limitation of 32bit windows OS that address until 3.xx GB of ram.

On a 8 core mac pro, if you have the dough to pump in 2Gb per core (which is the recommended configuration), you can see it fly when you do your work.. I'm doing broadcast design and working on 8 cores is an experience a 64bit linux HP workstation cannot beat YET..

but for photoshop + aperture/lightroom work, 4-8 gb will suffice if you do print and need the system as a cash cow, 4 gb if you just need it for home use. Note though PS/lightroom/aperture are 32bit apps. They will not address more than the 3g of ram but your system won't dry flat out either. But the next revision should see all these ported to 64bit which will allow you to maximise your rams..
    Last edited by viix; 6th December 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim View Post
    calm down, actually i am not surprise with your reaction, not the first time i saw mac fanboy. you just can't take anything against the mac, do you? seeing your "explanation" about "native 64bit", i can see its time for me to exist this thread, as its going no way but ignorance comments and senseless flame.

to the TS, there are PC vendor selling branded desktop with any configuration you need, with cheaper price--granted, less pretty casing. eg, Dell, HP, IBM with same if not better support than Apple--they have to cause Xeon is in workstation/server sector, not the tiny profit consumer market.
    Actually, the native 64 bit that is relevant to the TS is the OS, everyone and his mother pretty much knows that Vista is far from perfect (which is why MS no longer refers to it as Vista but as Windows). Let alone that you have to pay more to get a Windows Version that suits your 64bit processors. Mac OS X runs it out of the box.

The part about PC parts manufacturers not being able to agree on a standard is more to do with different driver softwares for the hardware to function. With Macs, because of Apple's stringent compliancy with their OS, not just any hardware manufacturer is able to build the right driver software for Macs. (You may be able to find one developed by third party developers whether they do it for fun or profit is up to them though)

True you can put parts together and build your own PC that can run Mac OS X, but there are many issues.
    - Firstly, you have to basically hack the OS in order to do that. You may have heard of jail breaking your iphone, this is a similiar case.
    - Secondly, you will be violating the end-user license agreement for Mac OS X. (Google Apple versus Pystar for more info)
    - Thirdly, you will not be able to get software updates because of the first point.
    - Fourthly, You won't be getting the full Mac experience because you'll end up worrying about new software updates, drivers etc... Very much like on windows.

By the way, there are people who get the Mac Pro and run Windows XP purely on it. It has been benchmarked that Macs run Windows better than their equivalent PC counterparts. The best part is that Apple doesn't care that it is the best running Windows machine in the market..

I admit I'm a Mac fan, but I program, maintain and administer PCs in my day job. I know the differences, and in the end I go home to my Mac knowing that I don't have to do 'work' at home...
    Last edited by elijah81; 6th December 2008 at 02:33 AM.

Should go for Mac , as Mac are more stable than windows, and mac are better for graphic and video editing .
    Hasselblad H4D-60, H2F,CFV, Leica MP, M9, MP3, M3, M6TTL, Canon NEW F-1, OD F-1, F-1,BICAM

Don't know what most of you have been smoking but all I can say is, both system work just fine. Every systems has its pros and cons. It will never end and there will never be a perfect system. However, to the TS, if you can afford the Mac Pro, just buy and get over it. Its just a freaking computer. I am sure the Mac Pro is a sweet machine but don't forget to get a decent LCD.

Apple stringent hardware la, PC no standard la, not stable la blah blah blah... all are nothing but bullshit to me. Nowadays, anyone with a bit of knowledge, can DIY their own PC. With the help and wisdom of the internet, you have 24/7 technical support. The best part is, you learn something new! The priceless moment is when your machine boots up nicely. My PC of 5 years is still working fine. As for the Mac, you can just buy it off the internet and have your systems running immediately. Its all a matter of choice. Just pick one and move on with your life. Let the hardware manufacturers battle over it.

For all those still arguing about Mac vs PC, you guys need to get a room. LOL! I am outta here...
    Last edited by hazmee; 6th December 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    Graphic cards on the mac can't be bought off the shelf for DIYing. But you can built to order from Apple. Honestly, graphic cards doesn't do much on a Mac unless you need 2 dual link DVI to run double 30 inch apple display. The 8 core can crunch through most of your task.

You say why the need for 64bit? Add 4 gigs of ram in your system and do a right click on your 32bit window's My Computer's properties. Does it utilize all 4? This is a limitation of 32bit windows OS that address until 3.xx GB of ram.

On a 8 core mac pro, if you have the dough to pump in 2Gb per core (which is the recommended configuration), you can see it fly when you do your work.. I'm doing broadcast design and working on 8 cores is an experience a 64bit linux HP workstation cannot beat YET..

but for photoshop + aperture/lightroom work, 4-8 gb will suffice if you do print and need the system as a cash cow, 4 gb if you just need it for home use. Note though PS/lightroom/aperture are 32bit apps. They will not address more than the 3g of ram but your system won't dry flat out either. But the next revision should see all these ported to 64bit which will allow you to maximise your rams..
    I'm very sure u can change the graphic card for the mac pro(not imac). Might need to change the efi string when install. Also must be a mac compatible card(ati 3870 some versions are compatible).If its a non apple supported graphic card, then have to try your luck.

The Graphic card helps in acceleration of video previews in FCP. Not everything works well on just the 8 cores especially for cases where many effects are cascaded together.

btw, regarding running 64bit vista on mac pro : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846
    although i admit that there are still alot of issues regarding vista.

As for ps/lightroom i agree that 4gb of ram is more than enough for common use. But the fact is that if ur os can address more than 3GB of ram, they would use the available free ram as your "scratch disk" improving performance as reading from hdd is still much slower.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

It just never seem to end......MAC vs PC........

If you seriously want some power and able to fine tune a computer.......why don't you get a PC workstation (it's FAR FAR cheaper)

I am using a workstation and this is my rig:

TYAN based Mobo
    2 x Quad Core 2.0ghz Intel XEON Processors
    8GB ECC Ram.
    2 X 74GB 15,000rpm SAS HDD at RAID 0 (I am using RAID 0 for OS only, no storage).
    OS is XP Pro 64bit
    Storage 3 x 1TB internal WD Caviar Black and 3 X 1TB external WD Caviar Black (my external I am using a swappable internal HDD as well, not those external drives that comes with casing)
    Graphics card that I am using is a ASUS EAX1950XFX DDR4 512MB
    2 x DVD LG 16X writer.
    2 x 24inch HC from Dell
    PSU 750W

Had to replace the old HDD which was full with data was the Seagate 4 X 1 TB (now resting in my dry cabinet)

My entire system cost me about roughly $4,300, which includes all the 6 x 1 TB HDD.

And one last note is, if you want to get a Mac, just get a Macbook Pro (you can actually use it like a home computer). This is what I am using at home when I want to conserve energy. Plug my MacPro to a 24 inch screen (if you think the 15 or 17inch is small) and you still can serve the net, process your photos with CS3 without any hitch and send emails all at one go. Plus you can use wireless keyboard and mouse on your laptop so you will not need to station yourself to a notebook.

Truthfully speaking, if you want pure RAW processing power without breaking your bank account, PC is still MUCH MUCH cheaper than an over price Mac desktop. I not am saying Mac Pro is bad but Apple just OVERPRICED everything on it's products.

Oh by the way, the Macbook Pro I am using is a gift from my rich relatives. I would not buy a Mac ever with my hard earn money.

$4000 is a lot of money during hard times........ infact you can get a pretty system under $2,000 with $2,000 to spare for your additional HDD, RAMs and so on.

I support on both systems as I use 2 platforms myself. Both systems have it's PLUS and MINUS. You can't really create a perfect system but you can make full use of it if you fine tune it to YOUR needs. Everyone single user on this planet has a different preference. Some use it for gaming, some just for emails and some for processing power for image/video.

Believe that you should check out appleinsider to see when the Mac Pro will be refreshed. If I'm not wrong it might be soon.

I wouldn't get into any arguments on Macs and PCs.. they are both computers, I use both platforms to meet my end user needs and so should you - both have their pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    I'm very sure u can change the graphic card for the mac pro(not imac). Might need to change the efi string when install. Also must be a mac compatible card(ati 3870 some versions are compatible).If its a non apple supported graphic card, then have to try your luck.

The Graphic card helps in acceleration of video previews in FCP. Not everything works well on just the 8 cores especially for cases where many effects are cascaded together.

btw, regarding running 64bit vista on mac pro : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846
    although i admit that there are still alot of issues regarding vista.

As for ps/lightroom i agree that 4gb of ram is more than enough for common use. But the fact is that if ur os can address more than 3GB of ram, they would use the available free ram as your "scratch disk" improving performance as reading from hdd is still much slower.
    GFX acceleration on FCP is not intense. That's my point.. Most of the fxplug doesn't require something more than the baseline graphics cards, no matter how many layer you dump in. I have 2 systems, one using the ati 2600, the other running quadro.. no difference previewing or running, but no stopping the anyone getting 3 gfx card in your Mac Pro..

Well, PS, aperture and LR are 32bit apps for now (aperture maybe 64 though I don't use them). Only the next release will see full 64bit support.. but everyday folks won't need it..
    Last edited by viix; 6th December 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Blog Entries

unfortunately, the mod also uses a mac

in fact i am still using a G4/400

i'd say almost 10 years old, never did find a reason to change
    no viruses either

If cost is a major factor, get a pc. Infact not much applications actually use quad core, let alone 2 quad cores.

I would go for the PC mainly because of its customisability. You can change the mobo and processor 4 years down the road and your good to process 40Mp raw files(lol). I can get graphics card that suit my budget or the amount of performance i want from it(GeForce 280GTX:P).

But get the mac if you really love the interface or have adequet money for the com and all your living expenses. No, really seriously, get a 2k com(its amazing what 2k can buy for you) and pocket the other almost 2k for your rainy days, or buy more camera stuff with the 2k. Unless you really need that split second difference then get the pc.
    P.S I'm not fan boy, but i think theres really not much point in getting a pc above 4k(with monitor)unless you need the glory(Intel Core i7-965 Extreme, 8GB DDR 3 Cosair Dominator ram,SSD discs,3x GTX 280,blah) or you really need the speed(working professional finding their current computer not fast enough).

P.P.S Vista is actually more secure than OS X, but much less hackers write viruses for OS X than for windows.

What a war... It's just the same as C versus N, never ending.
    I'm not about to chip in my bit on what I support and what I don't.

For credibility, I started in computers when there is something called XT and we still purchase hardware called IBM compatibles, next is there isn't Internet back then I'm not that old either. keke. Being in the IT industry, I have used numerous system and OS, just to quote a few, Intel desktop and server, Solaris, Linux(RH,Slackware,some arcane ones), Windows 3.1,95,98,2K,2003,XP,Vista & PC/DR/MSDOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD.

What am I using to type this posting ? a Macbook Pro 17" running on Mac OS X 10.5.5. I just rip off the cover of my system and replaced the harddisk to a 7200rpm one

To the TS: If you are venturing into Creative and Design works, I highly recommend you get a Mac system. You will find the workflow in it is more mature than in Windows. It's not until Windows 95 where something called ICC profile is found and in Windows 98 where ICC profile is more mature, but you can already find this terminology introduced back in Mac OS 9 or maybe even earlier.

Mac is more expensive mainly because of the branding, that we must agree. But next thing is Mac unlikely PC systems don't have much to upgrade which makes control and stability easier. Mac is not god and neither is it infallible, but even it has adopted a UNIX variant since Mac OS 10.0, it has gain alot of credibility as a robust system. I adopted Mac mainly because of it's introduction of a UNIX kernel with nice eye candy interface. I also wanna move away from less thinking of what to acquire for my system and more on getting my job done. I already have plenty to think about what peripheral to get for HA systems with tons of firewall and routers and SAN and blah blah blah for my clients and therefore I hope to just have a system that I can program, write reports, PP my photographs and so forth.

PC mainly run on Windows platform for most consumer, and seriously speaking other than Windows XP and 2K, Vista is such a disappointment. People even wrote a petition on the net to ask M$ to extend the support for Windows XP. You can see how badly Vista is done. It's like Windows ME back then, just a transition OS, wasting consumer $ before moving into the new upcoming Windows 7.

They tried.... yah they tried to mimic Apple in their intuitive interface, but I guess they flop it real bad. So did Linux in KDE and Gnome trying to do that using Beryl and Compiz.

In Mac you have less to worry about virus, mainly because most virus are targeted at Windows system, not Mac, but in this IT world, we still have worms, rootkit and other vulnerabilities in application that can perform Denial Of Service for u, so nothing surprising.

I have given you my humble opinion, wanna make a hole in your pocket for less to worry ? You make the choice
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Thanks to many for your kind opinions. My household currently runs mainly macs, mac mini to the powerbook G4 12". My original idea was to ask if the configuration is going to be worth investing for the next 4-5 year since my current computer does not have enough power to run my workflow anymore. It is no longer adequate to run large number of 12mp raw files, especially when I am pressed for time.

PC is definitely out of the question for me. I have seen enough BSODs, spy wares and kernel panics to shun them. Thank you for the suggestions on getting a pc, but I got better things to do other then customizing or troubleshooting my computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12