Thread: newbie here..

Default newbie here..

hihi.. im a newbie who is thinking of progressing from my (point-and-shoot) digital camera to a DSLR.. still figuring out the different terms n specs...
    where can i go n read up first?
    many thanks in advance!

Default Re: newbie here..

Welcome to CS...

READ MORE
    SHOOT more
    Post more

Start here :

Photography Notes For Newbies
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Try to read here. Plenty of information in this forum and it's subsections. You only need to read. Ask if you still have questions AFTER reading.

Library and google is your best friend. Best of all FOC

hey guys.. thanks for the advice..
    i read whenever i hv the chance.. kinda overwhelmed by the vast amount of info available here..

need another advice:
    shd i buy a DSLR first and learn hands-on? or better to read first then buy?

thanks thanks..

if you ask me, i vote buy and learn while OJT. I used to be like you and I came here years ago and started reading for awhile, gotten the basic info and knew what I needed to do and went for it. Been happy ever since. Same as study..just reading really have a limit on how much you can understand. You need to feel it haha~~ May the force be with you.
    Last edited by lBlOlSlSl; 5th December 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    Nikon D700|D70IR : NIKON 14-24 f2.8 : NIKON 24-70 f2.8

Hello...welcome.

I would suggest that you have some basic readups to understand a bit about photography before getting your DSLR.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by totoro47 View Post
    i read whenever i hv the chance.. kinda overwhelmed by the vast amount of info available here..

need another advice:

thanks thanks..
    Yes... I find the best way to learn is to keep trying....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

need another advice:

thanks thanks..
    if you have got the money to do so, then get one. it'll definetly be easier for you to learn.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

need another advice:

thanks thanks..
    Hmm you must consider where do you intend to bring your photography level to. Digital technology has made photography readily available to the masses , and since the cost of DSLR has come down , its really quite worth the $$ to get a DSLR. end of the day , if you still use it like a PNS , its still can take much better shots than any compact

If you are very into picking up this new hobby , then learn now or buy later doesnt matter , but then from my own experience , and like what some bro has mentioned , you only really start learning when you start to frame and shoot .

From books you only get to know the concepts , if you have the camera , you start to learn the real stuffs. Its like driving I guess , u only learn how to drive from first practical lesson , the basic and advance theory on their own no count ba heh So thats why I feel its better to get a camera or borrow one to try out and read up at the same time.
    Last edited by Atarandas; 5th December 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Alpha and Omega

Cool Re: newbie here..

welcome to CS
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

need another advice:
    In terms of camera technology you need to read and understand first what you intend to get. No point going for a camera if you ask why Sony lenses don't have IS or why Canon lenses cannot be used on Nikon cameras. Once you have sorted out the technical basics you go and try hands-on how the camera feels. All cameras are able to produce good pictures but they get better if you really feel good operating the cam. Buy what you really like, brands don't matter much later when you look at the picture.
    Happy shooting