Thread: Protecting photos from misuse

Default Protecting photos from misuse

how do you keep your photos from being used by unauthorised people?
    Sean Seah
    Phokki - Arts for Everyone | Portal - www.phokki.com | Blog - blog.phokki.com

Default Re: Protecting photos from misuse

That depends on what do you define as 'unauthorized' and in which context. Easiest way: offline Everything else needs to be defined in the context. Are you talking about online galleries? Or stock photos? Or submitting pictures for print service? Please be a bit more specific.

Generally... try not to post your pictures online.

And if you do, restrict the size available and use watermarks on the picture.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by sean seah View Post
    how do you keep your photos from being used by unauthorised people?
    read these

link1
    link2

haha, the purpose i wrote here is definitely means you are going to share it online but how do you protect it from theft.

thanks night86mare for the link.

ok, i been hearing alot about watermarketing, but y not consider invisible watermarking? Basically it is to send your photo to be process and embed an unique digital signature into every copy of your photo before you start sharing it. I am thinking, what if there is a service that helps you do that and it will help you check on the internet for duplicate copies and report the link to you.

I wonder if that will be a business
    Sean Seah
    Phokki - Arts for Everyone | Portal - www.phokki.com | Blog - blog.phokki.com

haha, the purpose i wrote here is definitely means you are going to share it online but how do you protect it from theft.
    my view on this is to post up limited size

if you post maybe 650 pixels longest edge, there isn't going to be much money they will gain from it.

that said, people sometimes do funny things rather than gaining money. even with a watermark, your photos still can be leeched and be claimed to be taken by someone else. it has happened to a few people here before.

thanks night86mare for the link.

ok, i been hearing alot about watermarketing, but y not consider invisible watermarking? Basically it is to send your photo to be process and embed an unique digital signature into every copy of your photo before you start sharing it. I am thinking, what if there is a service that helps you do that and it will help you check on the internet for duplicate copies and report the link to you.

I wonder if that will be a business
    there is such service available, however, does it justify you to pay for such service, and how much can you gain from others leeching your photos? let say the person from Mozambique or Moldova?

some many people chose to

not to post
    post a low res
    add watermark
    display warning
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Another option is to restrict your audience via private albums.