Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Flash for C700uz

Originally posted by mpenza

Taking it simply, a zoom head allows you to control how narrow or wide the light projects. The narrower the light, the further it can reach. Generally, the zoom setting (in mm) for the flash should be the same or wider (smaller in mm) than the camera's zoom setting. On some flash, you can pull the head in or out to adjust the zoom setting. On others, you just push a sliding knob.

ckiang would be able to explain it much better
    ok i see....so does it mean that if the subject is very much within the reachable distance, say just 5m away, there is no need to adjust the zoom head since even if the light is projected widely, it can still reach 5m?

Originally posted by mpenza

Taking it simply, a zoom head allows you to control how narrow or wide the light projects. The narrower the light, the further it can reach. Generally, the zoom setting (in mm) for the flash should be the same or wider (smaller in mm) than the camera's zoom setting. On some flash, you can pull the head in or out to adjust the zoom setting. On others, you just push a sliding knob.

ckiang would be able to explain it much better
    That's basically it. On mine, I just push a button.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Tweek

ok i see....so does it mean that if the subject is very much within the reachable distance, say just 5m away, there is no need to adjust the zoom head since even if the light is projected widely, it can still reach 5m?
    Right. In most flashes, you can check the distance scale to see how far it would reach at a certain ISO, Aperture, Zoom position. If it can fall within your subject distance, and the zoom position is wider or equal to your lens' focal length, it will do.

If the flash zoom is less than lens focal length, you will get light fall off at the edges.

Regards
    CK

thanks ckiang and KC, I've finally acquired my external flash combi!!

see here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...&threadid=4544

btw I need a flash bracket, a 3rd party one will do. KC which one are you using? I went into so much hassle for today's flash purchase that I didn't care about getting a flash bracket. What is the price of a typical cheap one? And where to get?

Originally posted by Tweek
    thanks ckiang and KC, I've finally acquired my external flash combi!!

see here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...&threadid=4544

btw I need a flash bracket, a 3rd party one will do. KC which one are you using? I went into so much hassle for today's flash purchase that I didn't care about getting a flash bracket. What is the price of a typical cheap one? And where to get?
    Cathay Penisula has a number of 3rd party brackets for sale, go check them out. They are displayed on the wall to the left of the entrance, where all the Cokin filters, etc are. Forgot what's the price. It's one of those foldable type.

Regards
    CK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12