Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7121516171819222742 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United IX - Quest for Treble Glory Continues....

Default Re: Manchester United IX - Quest for Treble Glory Continues....

Excellent win

Yeah man.
    Chelsea's performance was damn below par.
    Drogba's finishing was atrocious, one shot so miscued that the ball flew out for a throw in.
    Ballack and Deco was so uninvolved that i thought they were not in the squad.
    Both left backs running down the flanks, Cashley Cole is no match for Evra.
    Bosingwa boasted before the match that he could stop Ronaldo, but it was Giggsy who tormented him.
    Substitute Anelka also had a bad day.

Surprise pair pays off

Sir Alex Ferguson surprised more than a few United supporters by selecting Ryan Giggs ahead of Michael Carrick for Sunday's six-pointer against Chelsea.

But by full-time, every fan in the full house at Old Trafford approved of the manager's midfield selection. Giggs was outstanding in the engine room and when he left the field late on to be replaced by Carrick, he received a standing ovation from the faithful.

"Honestly, Ryan was fantastic," praised Sir Alex on MUTV, before revealing, "I kept him particularly for this game, I rested him.

"I told him two weeks ago he and Darren Fletcher would play against Chelsea. I thought this game was made for them, given Ryan's ability to hold the ball and beat a man in midfield with that left foot. Ballack couldn't live with him really.

"It could have been a mistake - it's very easy to make a mistake when you've got a squad of 23 players. Genuine mistakes of course because you want to pick a team that wins and the supporters understand that. But today it worked and I'm glad it did."

Giggs was unjustly denied an assist during the game when Cristiano Ronaldo's header, from his cross, was disallowed by the officials. It followed a clever corner kick when Wayne Rooney quickly put the ball down in the 'd' and then rolled the ball into play for Ryan to collect - unfortunately without it being seen by the linesman.

"We've worked at that," revealed Sir Alex. "When you work at it and it's disallowed because the linesman's not watching...

Wayne clearly put the ball inside the little 'd' and Ryan noticed it, he took the ball in towards goal - why else would he take it in?

"Fortunately we managed to score from the next corner."

Nemanja Vidic's headed goal from that final corner of the first half was a critical moment, according to the United manager.

"I think the goal right on half-time was crucial for us," assessed Sir Alex.

"We had some good chances in the first half and Chelsea had a lot of possession. They're very dangerous and they're very clever players but they didn't make any chances because we defended the 18-yard line very well.

"The first goal was the key moment because opened up the game for us. The midfield had far more space in the second half and we could have scored a few goals. I'm pleased with 3-0 though, it's a big scoreline, very unusual for these tight games."

With Chelsea defeated and Liverpool failing to win at Stoke on Saturday, this weekend could prove to be pivotal in the title race.

"It's a great day for us, and significant because we're chasing Liverpool," Sir Alex added.

"We've got games in hand and today gets us nearer. We've just got to make sure the home record is 100 per cent. If we do that, we'll have a good chance."

Sources

Boss responds to Benitez

Sir Alex Ferguson's team gave the perfect response to Rafa Benitez's verbal attack - and then the United manager himself had his say on his Liverpool counterpart's extraordinary comments.

Invited by MUTV's Stewart Gardner to reply, the United boss said:

"My only response is that once you cut through the venom, because there was a lot of venom in what he said and I don't understand where it's come from, he (Benitez) was obviously disturbed about something.

"I think when he reflects, he must surely realise what a ridiculous thing he was saying. But I'm not getting into that. I think that's enough.

"All I want to do is keep the focus on my team. If I can do that and we can play with that excitement of today, then we have a big chance."

Sources

Belgian joins Reds

United have confirmed the signing of defender Ritchie De Laet from Stoke City.

The 20 year-old Belgian joined Stoke from Royal Antwerp in August 2007 but he did not feature for the Potters' first team, only being named as a substitute on a few occasions.

The defender played for Bournemouth on trial last summer (July 2008) and played in a 4-1 friendly defeat against Portsmouth before returning to Stoke.

In October 2008, he joined non-league Wrexham on loan. He made three appearances in the Blue Square Premier, only for his stint to be cut short by surgery on a double hernia.

Now fit again, De Laet will hope to make an impression at United, initially in the reserves - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's assistant, Warren Joyce, is a former Royal Antwerp manager.

The Manchester Senior Cup tie at Stockport County on Monday 19 January could offer De Laet his first chance of match action for the Reds.

A new defender hope he can do the job!

Sources

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Still got next season see u next yr!
    onz!

A win this Wednesday at home against Wigan and an away win against Bolton this Saturday will put Man Utd as League leaders with a point clear of Liverpool!

Well done!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    A win this Wednesday at home against Wigan and an away win against Bolton this Saturday will put Man Utd as League leaders with a point clear of Liverpool!

Well done!!
    From then on it will be no looking back! Cos the rest will crumble under pressure!

From then on it will be no looking back! Cos the rest will crumble under pressure!
    Mess with the BEST, die like the rest!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Mess with the BEST, die like the rest!!
    sounds so familiar!

Don't mess with the best cos the best don't mess,
    Don't fool with the cool cos the cool don't fool

This season he is much fitter liao but still slow at times!
    Of cause la, old bird liao wat. 36 liao, by the time i reach 36, think can't even run 2.4k

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Of cause la, old bird liao wat. 36 liao, by the time i reach 36, think can't even run 2.4k
    cannot compare running 2.4 only take the most 15min! the game is like running 6 2.4!

was wondering if he or is there anyone can out do P.Maldini!

Ronny's world's best ( First EPL players to win)

Cristiano Ronaldo has added the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year award to his impressive collection of individual honours.

Ronaldo received the accolade – voted for by coaches and captains of the 208 international federations – from Brazilian legend Pele at a gala event in Zurich, Switzerland, on Monday night.

The Portuguese winger, who picked up the Ballon d’Or in Paris last month, is the first United player to scoop the prize, which was first handed out in 1991. David Beckham was twice voted runner-up (1999, 2001) during his time at Old Trafford.

Ronny’s 42 goals in the 2007/08 season were instrumental in helping United to domestic and European glory, and enough to see the 23-year-old pip Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Liverpool's Fernando Torres to the award.

AC Milan's Kaka and Barcelona's Xavi were also nominated.

FIFA World Player of the Year
    Last five winners
    2007 – Kaka
    2006 – Fabio Cannavaro
    2005 – Ronaldinho
    2004 – Ronaldinho
    2003 – Zinedine Zidane

Placings by UK-based players
    2007 – Cristiano Ronaldo, United (3rd)
    2005 – Frank Lampard, Chelsea (2nd)
    2004 – Thierry Henry, Arsenal (2nd)
    2003 – Thierry Henry, Arsenal (2nd)
    2001 – David Beckham, United (2nd)
    1999 – David Beckham, United (2nd)
    1997 – Denis Bergkamp, Arsenal (3rd)
    1996 – Alan Shearer, Newcastle (3rd)
    1995 – Jurgen Klinsmann, Spurs (3rd)
    1991 – Gary Lineker, Spurs (3rd)

Sources

Ronaldo gets World Player of the Year award

Cristiano Ronaldo was named as FIFA World Player of the Year for 2008 on Monday and became the first Premier League player to get the award at a star-studded gala in Zurich.

The 23-year-old was in stunning form last term when he helped Manchester United to Premier League and European Cup success hitting 42 goals in the process, and after FIFA's annual poll of international team coaches and captains he has added the world governing body's prize to the prestigious Ballon d'Or which he has already received.

Ronaldo received the award from Pele, and said: ''It is an overwhelming moment and a very special moment in my life and I would like to say to my mother and sister that the fireworks can be set off now.

''I'm extremely happy, it's one of the most important moments in my life and I hope I can come back.''

Ronaldo, who also won FIFA's Club World Cup with United in 2008, faced competition from fellow nominees Xavi Hernandez, Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi and Kaka.

Messi finished in second place and Torres came third ahead of fourth-placed Kaka and Xavi.

Ronaldo becomes the first player from the Premier League to win the coveted title, which has so far only been awarded to players based at clubs in Italy or Spain; while Marta, Olympic silver medallist with Brazil, was later named the FIFA women's player of the year for the third successive time.

"There may be no English players here but I believe it's important for England that myself and Fernando Torres are here representing two English clubs," said Ronaldo before the ceremony.

"It is a victory for the English fans as well because the Premier League is strong, even though we must not forget the leagues in Spain and Italy remain strong as well."

Ronaldo dedicated the award to his family but also paid tribute to influence of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

He said: ''It's a dream come true for me to get this award and I would like to dedicate this to my family.

''But it's also true that the manager always has an important role to play. It was a great season for me and for my club, and the coach was important for me because I learned a lot for him.

''His experience over so many years is of paramount importance - it's a privilege to have such a great club manager.

''This is the climax of a fantastic era for me. I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won. I am lucky to to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United.''

Maradona tells Tevez to move to Inter Milan

Argentina coach Diego Maradona has urged striker Carlos Tevez to quit Manchester United and move to current Serie A leaders and champions Inter Milan.

Tevez's future is in doubt as United have failed to agree a fee with Kia Joorabchian's Media Sports Investment (MSI) which holds the rights to the player. Tevez's two-year loan with United comes to an end this summer and his long term future remains in doubt.

The fact that the 24-year-old has struggled to get into the team following the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov at the start of the season has further muddied the waters, especially with MSI seeking up to £32 million to sign Tevez permanently.

The former Corinthians player has started just eight Premier League games so far this season and may be considering his options if he is going to be nothing more than a bit part player at Old Trafford.

And now his new international boss, the legendary Maradona, has urged his star player to move elsewhere in order to get first team football.

"Yesterday (Sunday) I saw Manchester United win (3-0 against Chelsea) without Tevez. This isn't good for him," Maradona was quoted as saying by Corriere dello Sport on Tuesday.

"Certain episodes are certainly bringing closer his exit. Italy and Inter in particular would be excellent solutions.

"What's more, his contract is running out, which makes it easier to change team."

Maradona, who is in Italy to watch Inter's Italian Cup tie against Genoa at the San Siro later on Tuesday, said Atletico Madrid's Argentine striker Sergio Aguero should also consider transferring to Inter.

"What advice would I give him? To come running to Inter," he said. "I can already imagine the extraordinary partnership he'd form with (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic."

Aguero is in a relationship with Maradona's daughter Giannina, who is expecting his child next month.

We must thank the "hand of god"...apparently he was the culprit who sets off the hotel's (same as Chelski player) fire alarm.....he smoke cigar at 7am

United lose Evra for three weeks

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra has been ruled out for three weeks with a foot injury.

The French left-back suffered the problem when he crossed for Wayne Rooney's goal in his side's 3-0 win over Chelsea at Old Trafford on Sunday.

It was Evra's first game back after a four-match ban imposed by the Football Association for his involvement in a post-match fracas at Stamford Bridge last season.

Now Evra is facing another spell on the sidelines, with him missing tomorrow's Barclays Premier League encounter with Wigan plus four more games including the Carling Cup semi-final against Derby next Tuesday.

In addition United will be without Rio Ferdinand against the Latics on Wednesday.

The central defender went for a scan on a back problem on Monday and while Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed there is no long-term damage Ferdinand does need more rest and will not be considered for Saturday's trip to Bolton either.

In Ferdinand's absence, Jonny Evans will continue in central defence, although Wes Brown is only two weeks away from a comeback after ankle surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Ronaldo gets World Player of the Year award

Cristiano Ronaldo was named as FIFA World Player of the Year for 2008 on Monday and became the first Premier League player to get the award at a star-studded gala in Zurich.

The 23-year-old was in stunning form last term when he helped Manchester United to Premier League and European Cup success hitting 42 goals in the process, and after FIFA's annual poll of international team coaches and captains he has added the world governing body's prize to the prestigious Ballon d'Or which he has already received.

Ronaldo received the award from Pele, and said: ''It is an overwhelming moment and a very special moment in my life and I would like to say to my mother and sister that the fireworks can be set off now.

''I'm extremely happy, it's one of the most important moments in my life and I hope I can come back.''

Ronaldo, who also won FIFA's Club World Cup with United in 2008, faced competition from fellow nominees Xavi Hernandez, Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi and Kaka.

Messi finished in second place and Torres came third ahead of fourth-placed Kaka and Xavi.

Ronaldo becomes the first player from the Premier League to win the coveted title, which has so far only been awarded to players based at clubs in Italy or Spain; while Marta, Olympic silver medallist with Brazil, was later named the FIFA women's player of the year for the third successive time.

"There may be no English players here but I believe it's important for England that myself and Fernando Torres are here representing two English clubs," said Ronaldo before the ceremony.

"It is a victory for the English fans as well because the Premier League is strong, even though we must not forget the leagues in Spain and Italy remain strong as well."

Ronaldo dedicated the award to his family but also paid tribute to influence of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

He said: ''It's a dream come true for me to get this award and I would like to dedicate this to my family.

''But it's also true that the manager always has an important role to play. It was a great season for me and for my club, and the coach was important for me because I learned a lot for him.

''His experience over so many years is of paramount importance - it's a privilege to have such a great club manager.

''This is the climax of a fantastic era for me. I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won. I am lucky to to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United.''
    lol he swept the floor clean. Won all individual awards there is to win.

Congrats to him, fully deserved it. Greatest footballer but certainly not the best driver!