Thread: Webhosting for photography based website

Thumbs down Webhosting for photography based website

Greetings everyone!

I am currently building my own website to showcase my photography portfolio. The thing is, I do know basic knowledge (based on my previous experience on html and it was 8 years ago) of creating a website. Doing some catching up now and currently trying using SlideshowPro to showcase my works.

The problem is, I am now planning to have my website hosted by a webhosting company (I want my own domain). I have zero experience in publishing it to a commercial (or paid) webhost since in my previous experience of creating a website, I used free webhosting service (geocities).

I understand webhosting services do provide different packages for different needs. Now what I would like to know is

1. What is the best webhosting service available that suits a photography website.

2. Is it such a hassle to upload your files and have it running on the net? I came across terms that I'm not familiar with such as using FTP to upload your files, SQL (totally clueless what is this), database management etc. Problem is I thought that after I had build my website, then that's it. Never thought of coming across those terms.

So, can anyone please shed some lights to me on this?
    FYI: I don't have any formal background on website development, just that it happened I learnt basic html from a friend 8 years ago

Default Re: Webhosting for photography based website

To save you some time and effort to create a professional looking photography site, I would suggest getting a pre-design flash template from www.bludomain.com After chosing the design of your choice, they will host the files and apply the domain name for you. You just have to login and configure the images/songs/colours/text to suit your needs. Damage is from US$200 for 1 yr of hosting.

http://www.3ix.org/sys/aff.php?aff=5790

VERY affordable. The cheapest package is enough already if you are going to use flash. comes up to about $40SGD PER YEAR. incl domain name.

I have an account (non-photog), their cpanel has some auto quick-install scripts/ templates etc you can select. updating can be like blog-style interface.

i think best is to get an account and install wordpress using the 3ix cpanel... clickclickclick and you done.

then you can google for free photoblog templates to plugin to your wordpress and you're ready to go.

see www.wordpress.org

also http://graphpaperpress.com/ for excellent templates

wordpress is very flexible/ expandable/ customisable, and there are lots of users so getting any help should not be a problem.

I'm using the budget plan from HostSg. You pay for domain name & web host together. Order is processed online, the customer service support staff is good, all communication was via email. Uploading of files is done online, no additional software needed. They have FAQ and even video tutorial (though I haven't seen it) if you get lost.

MySQL is a database, not required unless you have data to store example you have forms for people to fill & save, then later need to retrieve said info to display online.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 4th December 2008 at 04:51 PM.

I did a lot of research when finding a webhost and I realised SG webhost offer the fastest speed, especially for uploading.

But it depends on your target audience too. If your audience is in SG, best is SG webhost. If in other places like US, best is US webhost.

I personally is using Limebox, and they are one of the most bang for buck SG webhost I found.

Their support is pretty good too. They helped when I was experiencing problems with Wordpress. FTP is extremely fast. They have an offer now too.

You can actually do up a site with HTML, since you have experience in it. I've seen some photography sites using HTML. Very simple, but effective.
    Last edited by dorts; 4th December 2008 at 08:34 PM.

I use wordpress for my CMS but host most of my pics on my flickr account. Only my portfolio goes on my site and its managed with the NEXgen gallery plugin for Wordpress.
    Last edited by raptor84; 4th December 2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I use wordpress for my CMS but host most of my pics on my flickr account. ONly my portfolio does on my site and its managed with the NEXgen gallery plugin for Wordpress.
    Yea! Try Wordpress man! It's extrememly easy to set up.

thanks all for the helpful replies.

actually i'm getting familiarized to have all my works processed with lightroom2 coz i found it as a great tool to increase productivity and i've done some background study on the capabilities of slideshowpro to showcase my works. i found out that slideshowpro works just great in doing that. and i love how it can be customized so that my gallery will have a touch of individuality.

at first i thought just want to use any available templates around. i love all the links all of u gave me and i would have stuck to it if i havent found out about slideshowpro earlier. the idea of customization just made me got stuck to it.

one more vote for wordpress : ) its easy to set up. PM me if you need help. I host mine at on.sg .Not sure if it is the cheapest but service is very prompt and so far no problem.

Try www.smugmug.com

They are a pay service and also take care of the domain name.

Smile Re: Webhosting for photography based website

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    I did a lot of research when finding a webhost and I realised SG webhost offer the fastest speed, especially for uploading.

But it depends on your target audience too. If your audience is in SG, best is SG webhost. If in other places like US, best is US webhost.

I personally is using Limebox, and they are one of the most bang for buck SG webhost I found.

Their support is pretty good too. They helped when I was experiencing problems with Wordpress. FTP is extremely fast. They have an offer now too.
    Hi thanks for your post regarding our services.

You can view some of our photographer websites (hosted through us) HERE

We have a great christmas promotion available at the moment for anyone wanting to start up a website. Please feel free to check it out

Thanks once again :>

Could u advice that your sample site like, http://pixelpixie.biz/, is it done through your standard template or one need to have CSS or other know how to achieve it? Besides, if one has own domain name, will it affect your offered package price?

Quote Originally Posted by limebox View Post
    Hi thanks for your post regarding our services.

You can view some of our photographer websites (hosted through us) HERE

We have a great christmas promotion available at the moment for anyone wanting to start up a website. Please feel free to check it out

Thanks once again :>

Quote Originally Posted by stor View Post
    Could u advice that your sample site like, http://pixelpixie.biz/, is it done through your standard template or one need to have CSS or other know how to achieve it? Besides, if one has own domain name, will it affect your offered package price?
    We do have "Build your own template" software pre-configured on our servers but the site you have mentioned built the website from scratch. Most likely done by a web developer.

If you are just building a photo viewing site, pre-configured software like coppermine should be fine

Regards
    Limebox Hosting Solutions
    Visit us online at : limebox.com.sg