Thread: Shooting fishes in tank

Question Shooting fishes in tank

Hi bros and sis, i'm an arowana hobbyist. Bought a Nikon D40 DSLR last year to take pictures of my arowana in the tank. As my tanks are outdoors, there'll be some reflection when I take the pictures. Any idea how to resolve this problem without using flashes? Will polarising filters help remove these reflections?

Default Re: Shooting fishes in tank

you can:

a) Bounce the flash
    b) Off shoe flash
    c) buy a D40 underwater casing (best option... BUY BUY BUY!!!)

CP doesn't really help much if the flash is direct.

Search the forum for 'arowana' - you are not the only one having these fishes and a camera

Quote Originally Posted by skylo0701 View Post
    Hi bros and sis, i'm an arowana hobbyist. Bought a Nikon D40 DSLR last year to take pictures of my arowana in the tank. As my tanks are outdoors, there'll be some reflection when I take the pictures. Any idea how to resolve this problem without using flashes? Will polarising filters help remove these reflections?
    Outdoors? Line the sides and back of tank with black paper. Use a screen to block off light from the top (from the tank to your camera0
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

There was a thread somewhere in CS too previously, where the flash was placed at the back of the tank. That was pretty cool. Too bad mine already has Oyama black on the back.

As always, don't forget to clean the glass surface first (very noticeable if you don't) and heh, shoot preferably after WC.
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Shoot at night, there will be less reflection. It's very difficult to block all reflections.
    Best way is to get plenty of lights in the tank. If light is brighter in the tank than no reflection.
    Place as many flash as possible on top of the tank. See attached picture. I use tank light
    and 3 flash on top. Finally use PP to rid whatever reflection that manage to get thru.
    Hope that helps.

One of the pics i took during the Taiwan 2008 Aquarama.

The link is: http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showfull.php?photo=123788.
    Last edited by tc811; 4th December 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Shoot at night, there will be less reflection. It's very difficult to block all reflections.
    Best way is to get plenty of lights in the tank. If light is brighter in the tank than no reflection.
    Place as many flash as possible on top of the tank. See attached picture. I use tank light
    and 3 flash on top. Finally use PP to rid whatever reflection that manage to get thru.
    Hope that helps.

Nice red u have....

last time when i have s5is(ultrazoom), i will off all my lights in the room, on all the tank lights and stand far when i shoot.

If u wan, i can post some pics later

Hope that helps.

WOW! Nice red U have! Will try ur method of keeping tank as bright as possible and surroundings as dark as possible. Dun wanna use flash leh, scared my fish jump out of tank. Haha. Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by weixiang80 View Post
    Nice red u have....

last time when i have s5is(ultrazoom), i will off all my lights in the room, on all the tank lights and stand far when i shoot.

If u wan, i can post some pics later
    Can post bro? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tc811 View Post
    One of the pics i took during the Taiwan 2008 Aquarama.

The link is: http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showfull.php?photo=123788.
    Nice shot. Thanks bro

Can post bro? Thanks
    Jus sharing...

Hope that helps.

got a bit drop-eye... but overall is nice body shape and colour.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

WOW! Nice red U have! Will try ur method of keeping tank as bright as possible and surroundings as dark as possible. Dun wanna use flash leh, scared my fish jump out of tank. Haha. Thanks very much
    Go ahead and try, flash is ok.
    Don't worry I have not seen them jump when I flash them yet.
    Beside shooting my own fish, I visit my friend's house and shoot their fish too.

weixiang, Thanks, but the aro belongs to my friend. You got nice PB and Aro.

sin77, izzit droop eyes? Thanks, I not good with aro, don't keep them, just shoot them.

Go ahead and try, flash is ok.
    Don't worry I have not seen them jump when I flash them yet.
    Beside shooting my own fish, I visit my friend's house and shoot their fish too.

weixiang, Thanks, but the aro belongs to my friend. You got nice PB and Aro.

sin77, izzit droop eyes? Thanks, I not good with aro, don't keep them, just shoot them.
    i wonder is there any side effects on aro when using alot/strong flashes?
    e.g. fighten them, blink them, etc
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Hmm...will try use flash and see if anything wrong. Aros still young lah... Nice pics guys, wah, so many fish hobbyists here ah. Thanks guys.

All shot with flash over many years... no problem for fishes

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/cichlids

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/oddballs