Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: need help on japanese kanji characters

  1. #1

    Default need help on japanese kanji characters

    on a mac, is there a way to key in english characters and get them to translate to japanese kanji character?

    thanks in advance for any help rendered.

  2. #2

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Go to system preferences from Apple menu, click on international, go to the input menu, check Kotoeri and Hiragana and/or Katakana.

    Select from the flag icon on top right—Hiragana.

    Type what u want using your keyboard, i.e. nippon, it will change automatically to hiragana characters and still underline, hit the spacebar, it will change to the appropriate kanji, in this case 日本.

    Do note that u need to enter words as it sounds, i.e. 大阪 will be oosaka (おおさか) and 東京 will be toukyou (とうきょう)

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    i normally get my Japanese colleague to type for me

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    for translation you need to get a proper translator
    english to japanese translation is not so straight forward

    変換のために適切なトランスレーターを得る必要がある
    英語から日本語の変換はそうまっすぐな前方でない

  5. #5

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind View Post
    Go to system preferences from Apple menu, click on international, go to the input menu, check Kotoeri and Hiragana and/or Katakana.

    Select from the flag icon on top right—Hiragana.

    Type what u want using your keyboard, i.e. nippon, it will change automatically to hiragana characters and still underline, hit the spacebar, it will change to the appropriate kanji, in this case 日本.

    Do note that u need to enter words as it sounds, i.e. 大阪 will be oosaka (おおさか) and 東京 will be toukyou (とうきょう)
    piang eh...like that very tough wor....

  6. #6

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    for translation you need to get a proper translator
    english to japanese translation is not so straight forward

    変換のために適切なトランスレーターを得る必要がある
    英語から日本語の変換はそうまっすぐな前方でない
    proper translator=???????
    a program?or person?

    anyone to recommend?i'm willing to pay him/her by the hour.

  7. #7

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Kanji is 漢字... chinese characters.

    You want to know how to enter them or you need someone to translate English to Japanese? I think your question is a bit salah.

  8. #8

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind View Post
    Kanji is 漢字... chinese characters.

    You want to know how to enter them or you need someone to translate English to Japanese? I think your question is a bit salah.
    oh really?sorry.
    i want a translation from english to jap characters.

  9. #9
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Some of them have same meaning as proper chinese words. Tokyo = eastern capital. Both in kanji and chinese.

  10. #10
    Member/Tangshooter g-khoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Under your Blanket
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i normally get my Japanese colleague to type for me
    That's a v good solution (:

    If all else fails.. use romaji...

    Much simpler

  11. #11

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    oh really?sorry.
    i want a translation from english to jap characters.
    Is it alot?
    If a little bit, maybe I can ask my friend to help...

    Alot then maybe I can get her to talk to you about charges.

  12. #12

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by mrleech View Post
    Is it alot?
    If a little bit, maybe I can ask my friend to help...

    Alot then maybe I can get her to talk to you about charges.
    it's quite a fair bit.
    i would need to sit down with him/her, tell her exactly what i want, and she'll use wacom tablet to write it directly into my mac.

  13. #13

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    it's quite a fair bit.
    i would need to sit down with him/her, tell her exactly what i want, and she'll use wacom tablet to write it directly into my mac.
    PM me your contact.
    I will see if my friend is interested/have time to spare...

  14. #14

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    PM me about it too.

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    on a mac, is there a way to key in english characters and get them to translate to japanese kanji character?

    thanks in advance for any help rendered.
    1. start your email application
    2. type your text to be translated into a new email message
    3. type the email address of your translation company or japanese friend
    4. click send

  16. #16

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    1. start your email application
    2. type your text to be translated into a new email message
    3. type the email address of your translation company or japanese friend
    4. click send

    We must provide good customer service...

  17. #17

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    1. start your email application
    2. type your text to be translated into a new email message
    3. type the email address of your translation company or japanese friend
    4. click send
    you forgot to turn on the computer wor...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Guillemard
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: need help on japanese kanji characters

    The Japanese text consists of 3 kind of writing in their daily text, hiragana, katakana and kanji.

    If you are writing for commerical then it would most likely consists of the 3 types of text. if for educational purpose or just leisure, can just use hiragana with katakana.

    Katakana is usually used for 'borrowed' word, eg, some of the English words that does not have a direct conversion, they will be replaced with katagana in the similar sound.
    Last edited by Jaycelim; 4th December 2008 at 05:47 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •