Thread: Floating hair in fashion photoshoots

Default Floating hair in fashion photoshoots

Okay... this sounds stupid if not silly. But I think I wanna be stupid on this and let the experienced ones advice me on it Sometimes you see photoshoots on models' hair flying and floating... Do photographers uses fan or a hairdryer(set on cool) for it ? Or is there dedicated equipment for such ? Just wanna know what are the options available and commonly used
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Default Re: Floating hair in fashion photoshoots

Have heard of secret tricks used on hair models from wires to and lines to have that perfect hold rather than the randomness of the fan blowing

Most industrial fans are suitable, however this is also an option.

taken from: http://www.wolfedesigns.co.uk/
    Last edited by moos blues; 3rd December 2008 at 01:06 PM.

IIRC there are specially made wind-machines that allows better control of the wind direction and flow.

Quote Originally Posted by moos blues View Post
    Most industrial fans are suitable, however this is also an option.
    Nice try, you trying to blow the hair or blow off the model's dress ?

So normal fan works right ? I don't want the model to looks like she is in the middle of a typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Okay... this sounds stupid if not silly. But I think I wanna be stupid on this and let the experienced ones advice me on it Sometimes you see photoshoots on models' hair flying and floating... Do photographers uses fan or a hairdryer(set on cool) for it ? Or is there dedicated equipment for such ? Just wanna know what are the options available and commonly used
    Get a strong PA.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Yes, for my video shoots, I rented wind machines. Hair dryer or those gazz branded industrial fans you see at the department store just can't push enough air to lift anything within a 5m X 5m space. The wind machines has a variable switch unlike normal fans with 3 settings only.

Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    Yes, for my video shoots, I rented wind machines. Hair dryer or those gazz branded industrial fans you see at the department store just can't push enough air to lift anything within a 5m X 5m space. The wind machines has a variable switch unlike normal fans with 3 settings only.
    Nice advice. So how much does renting these equipment cost and where did you rent yours ?

Nice try, you trying to blow the hair or blow off the model's dress ?

So normal fan works right ? I don't want the model to looks like she is in the middle of a typhoon
    Industrial fans can cover an area big enough to fill a wide frame.. but for close ups still can.. though the wind might irritate the model eyes with the velocity.. the wind machine pushes more air but the velocity isn't as hard that it will cause irritation.

Nice advice. So how much does renting these equipment cost and where did you rent yours ?
    I got them through my crew when my company rented a grip truck so I'm not too sure of the exact price/person.. you can call up cinegear and ask which crew has one and he can hook you up with them. Their number is 62955116

Industrial fans can cover an area big enough to fill a wide frame.. but for close ups still can.. though the wind might irritate the model eyes with the velocity.. the wind machine pushes more air but the velocity isn't as hard that it will cause irritation.
    Interesting... so do you have to watch out for mascara when using wind machine?

I got them through my crew when my company rented a grip truck so I'm not too sure of the exact price/person.. you can call up cinegear and ask which crew has one and he can hook you up with them. Their number is 62955116
    Ditto. Cinegear has just about everything you could need or if they don't have an item, they would likely know where you could get one.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Interesting... so do you have to watch out for mascara when using wind machine?
    No issue with wind machine, you can feel the gust, but it isn't as strong as when you stand in front of the fan.. I don't know how to explain it, but it's not as fast, velocity wise, but has the "lift" required..

Viix, me not physicist, but I suspect it has to do with the way a wind machine is designed to create a vortex using lower velocities.

There are a number of ways to lift and control hair. You can use a leaf blower - basically a small blower that they use to blow leaves that comes with a narrow nozzle as you can have a very good directional control. Cheaper version you can also employ a scarf or string just under the base of the hair and do a quick pull to lift the hair and timed the shot.

Silly idea.. get a large balloon.. rub it against the carpet.. place it above the model.. the static will do the rest.. kekeke

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Silly idea.. get a large balloon.. rub it against the carpet.. place it above the model.. the static will do the rest.. kekeke
    like that.. you'd get DP commenting...