Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AF Zoom Lens Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX HSM

  1. #1

    Question AF Zoom Lens Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX HSM

    AF Zoom Lens Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO EX HSM

    Hi everyone..

    Has anyone tried this lens before? is it good as a telezoom lens? i'm looking at shooting portraits and wildlife I have a Minolta 700si ..

    sorry for asking in such detail but this is the first "really expensive" lens (gulp!!) i'm buying so am trying to find out as much as possible about it, beyond the net..

    also, i was quoted $1200 at John 3:16 - not sure if that is a reasonable price for it.. think their reputation is known to be quite good..

    will appreciate "knowledgeable" advice from any one of you experienced folks..

    thanks!!!
    Last edited by floppy-eared; 8th September 2003 at 02:19 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    It's good for portraits and maybe zoolife.(you need >400mm for real wildlife)

    I have one and I'm rather happy with it, you can't do much better for $1200.

    However, note that your minolta mount version doesn't have HSM and hence, it might be worth considering the Tokina 828 ATX Pro for abt $1000 as the AF of the Tokina vs the non HSM sigma is at least equal, moreoever, the tokina has better build quality IMO.
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 8th September 2003 at 03:02 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    It's good for portraits and maybe zoolife.(you need >400mm for real wildlife)

    I have one and I'm rather happy with it, you can't do much better for $1200.

    However, note that your minolta mount version doesn't have HSM and hence, it might be worth considering the Tokina 828 ATX Pro for abt $1000 as the AF of the Tokina vs the non HSM sigma is at least equal, moreoever, the tokina has better build quality IMO.
    thank you for advice!

    for wildlife will have to get a teleconverter, definitely. yes, the Tokina sounds like a much better tool.. better still if it is cheaper!

    the life of a newbie venturing into the "big bad" amateur/semi-pro world??

  4. #4

    Default

    The tokina is definitely cheaper and built like a tank. However, you may still prefer the looks of the sigma.

    Bring your camera to the shops like AP or CP and give both a try to see which u prefer.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Hi. Can save the CP, as they don't sell Sigma. Maybe go MScolor instead.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    Hi. Can save the CP, as they don't sell Sigma. Maybe go MScolor instead.
    From my equotes:
    AP should have both.
    CP has Tokina no sigma.
    MS has Sigma in stock Tokina by order.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    From my equotes:
    AP should have both.
    CP has Tokina no sigma.
    MS has Sigma in stock Tokina by order.

    Thanks for the info. Myself is interested in Tokina and Sigma for nikon mount. And seems like AP is the only place to try both in a trip.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    Thanks for the info. Myself is interested in Tokina and Sigma for nikon mount. And seems like AP is the only place to try both in a trip.
    Anyway, here's some info about a newer version of the 828ATX PRO being introduced.

    http://www.tokina.co.jp/news/030725.html

    I can't discern any other information apart from the fact that it now uses the same bayonet mount petal hood as the 28-80ATX instead of the round screw mount hood. Anyone read jap?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Anyway, here's some info about a newer version of the 828ATX PRO being introduced.

    http://www.tokina.co.jp/news/030725.html

    I can't discern any other information apart from the fact that it now uses the same bayonet mount petal hood as the 28-80ATX instead of the round screw mount hood. Anyone read jap?
    That is nice. I wonder is there any changes to the AF-MF clutch system. In Tokina there is a one touch clutch system, which is abit different in the clutch system in the rest of the tokina lenses.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •